Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
8" member
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
friend of mine needs to know if there's any way an external wastegate can be used with the greddy kit. if so, what kind of modifications involved?

·
Murderator
13,398 Posts
You would need a new Manifold and turbo....so basicly no...

·
K series tuning liberator
2,524 Posts
there is gonna be a upgrade for the greddy kit. I believe the 18G will fit on the manifold, which would make a great upgrade.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes , you can do it, but you will need to use a relatively small wastegate like the TurboSmart 35 mm. You can weld it from below the manifold, to one of the runners ( the wastegate will be upside down), tight spot, not too much space but can be done. There will be also space to run the wastegate exhaust pipe ( small tube like 1.5 in diameter, discharging to the atm).

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
teamxrsx said:
there is gonna be a upgrade for the greddy kit. I believe the 18G will fit on the manifold, which would make a great upgrade.
an 18g on this manifold :questionm wouldn't that be a reallly tight fit considering its already tight the way its set up now .. ooh btw, what size exactly is our turbo anyway because T517Z, whats that? i have an idea but like what could it be compared to

·
K series tuning liberator
2,524 Posts
well....i am not too sure about the 18G either...i am just relaying info i heard from good sources. It could be totally wrong...but there will be an upgrade, i do know that. The T517Z is a little smaller than a T3. BTW, it's made by mitusbishi.

·
TeH Brown Ninja Turtle
1,238 Posts
turbo-s said:
Yes , you can do it, but you will need to use a relatively small wastegate like the TurboSmart 35 mm. You can weld it from below the manifold, to one of the runners ( the wastegate will be upside down), tight spot, not too much space but can be done. There will be also space to run the wastegate exhaust pipe ( small tube like 1.5 in diameter, discharging to the atm).
would only a turbosmart or any 35mm wastegate work?...and have you tried this yourself turbo-s?...i see TIAL has 35mm wastegates that i wouldnt mind trying if it worked...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Inprogress2 said:
would only a turbosmart or any 35mm wastegate work?...and have you tried this yourself turbo-s?...i see TIAL has 35mm wastegates that i wouldnt mind trying if it worked...

After doing a little research I found that the TurboSmart 35mm is smaller ( smaller WG needed because the space available is tight) than any other 35mm wastegate that I know about it. Inprogress, yes I tried it, it is installed already :D . It is working excelent plus the turbo reacts quickly, the boost is controlled better and it gave me higher trap speeds in the 1/4 mile(109.5 mph) :thumbsup: . I will try to e-mail you a picture from under the car.

·
TeH Brown Ninja Turtle
1,238 Posts
sweet deal man, where did you get your wastegate?...the guys at my shop say it cant be done because our manifolds are cast iron and its freggin hard to weld on cast iron, is this true?...so much did you pay for install of the wastegate?...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Inprogress2 said:
sweet deal man, where did you get your wastegate?...the guys at my shop say it cant be done because our manifolds are cast iron and its freggin hard to weld on cast iron, is this true?...so much did you pay for install of the wastegate?...
I got the WG from a local shop for $300. The guy that did the work have a lot of experience welding, and the only thing I saw him doing was cleaning/polishing the area in the exhaust manifold where he was going to weld the WG flange and after that he trim the whole exhaust manifold's flange because the heat during the welding tend to bend the manifold, so you need to rectify it in order to avoid leakages. I pay $60 for the welding and to rectify the manifold. Installation was done by myself , just put the WG in place and tight in the nuts, space is very limited so be patient if you plan to do it.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
turbo-s said:
I got the WG from a local shop for $300. The guy that did the work have a lot of experience welding, and the only thing I saw him doing was cleaning/polishing the area in the exhaust manifold where he was going to weld the WG flange and after that he trim the whole exhaust manifold's flange because the heat during the welding tend to bend the manifold, so you need to rectify it in order to avoid leakages. I pay $60 for the welding and to rectify the manifold. Installation was done by myself , just put the WG in place and tight in the nuts, space is very limited so be patient if you plan to do it.

What did you about the stock wastegate?

·
Registered
258 Posts
RsxManJoe said:
What did you about the stock wastegate?

I remove the stock wastegate external mechanism, but inside the turbo housing, the wastegate swing valve should be welded in the close position, making sure there are no leakages between the swing valve and the port on the housing.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
oh ok, thanks for the quick explanation........I was thinking the swing valve had to welded shut...

Im not sure whether or not ill go external...Im sending my stock wastegate to greddy today to see if there is an issue....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts