Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im planning on getting a new fly wheel if any body has any takes on them give me the heads up. im not really expecting to gain hp just want to get into the power band quicker. although i hear of freeing up ponies.

any body have any actual experiance with a light fly

· Registered
734 Posts
ur not gona hear a reply lol

· Registered
5,292 Posts
Most flywheels out on the market are in the range of 8 lbs. The stock flywheel is around 16 lbs (this is a guess from holding it, I haven't weighed it).

Anyway, the benefit you get from a lighter flywheel is less rotational mass, which will give better acceleration. The downside is that you do not store as much energy in the flywheel, meaning you're on the accelerator more and the revs drop off quicker (this is bad for gas mileage, good for downsifts).

I love my Exedy.

Edit: Flywheels are not power generating modifications.

· Registered
51 Posts
It wont generate any power, but it may free some power from the drive train. It takes less torque to rotate a lighter flywheel, but on the flip side the revs will drop off much sooner and that isnt great for all out drag racing (launching in particular). But if you just want some more pep under your right foot then a lighter flywheel will help you there.

just my two cents tho

Josh

· old member
364 Posts
i've got the exedy fly and daily driving is not affected at all. i mean unless your trying to parallel park backwards, uphill, and in a tight spot (sarcastic), you should be fine.

· Little engine that could
1,150 Posts
i've got the exedy fly and daily driving is not affected at all. i mean unless your trying to parallel park backwards, uphill, and in a tight spot (sarcastic), you should be fine.
You never know...

· K series tuning liberator
2,364 Posts
My 8lbs ACT prolite flywheel is very nice. Revs are super fast and you have to shift faster...but other than that...daily driver conditions are just fine once you get used to it.

· Auto-x whore
979 Posts
I have the comptech flywheel with exedy stage 1 clutch. I love the combo. No problems with daily driving with the flywheel. In normal shifying at 4000, rpms fall perfectly for the next gear, no problems with rev matching. And when you have to downshift, it is so much easier. Love the mod. :thumbsup:

· Registered
427 Posts
Thanks for the input. How much does the Exedy weigh? How much more effort does it take to depress the Exedy clutch over the stock one? Appreciate your replys. I'm gong to be buying a clutch, fly, 4.7 final drive nd Quaife next week. Just need to decide which clutch and flywheel. Thanks.

· Auto-x whore
979 Posts
Exedy stage 1 clutch doesnt take any more effort to depress. feels the same as stock. but engagement is much sooner, and there is no more feathering the clutch really. I love it though, and I got used to the new clutch quickly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.