Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting the FMIC, it's already been decided. I'm just curious if I need to get everything at once or whether I can wait and get the intercooler a few months from now. Has anyone successfully run the greddy kit without the Intercooler? Were there any problems? What was the power like etc. I'm getting the E01 and am going to have the kit tuned either way I go, so I'm not going to have to worry about the stock e-manage programming...Thanks in advance.

·
Royale with cheese.
2,140 Posts
dude did you not read my thread i posted this about 3 hours before you, the exact same thing

·
Royale with cheese.
2,140 Posts
mod, this thread should be locked beacuse there is a current thread with the same exact info in it.

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jphesterly said:
mod, this thread should be locked beacuse there is a current thread with the same exact info in it.
jphesterly said:
Is it a bad idea to run a turbo without an intercooler? thanks

this would just be for a short period of time while i can get enough to buy one if i dont go CN and go greddy instead.
You asked a GENERAL question whether it is BAD to run a turbo kit without an intercooler. I KNOW it's not BAD to run a turbo without an intercooler, I'm not asking the same question as you. If you read my thread I am specifically asking for people who HAVE run the greddy kit without the intercooler, and how it reacted. Whether they specifically had any problems and how they overcome them. Yes I DID read your thread, and honestly, your thread sounded like you weren't exactly sure how everything worked together, which is fine, I knew nothing at one point in time also.

So...once again...I want to know if anyone has run the GREDDY kit without the GREDDY FMIC...how did the e-manage react, were there any problems, and how was the power...

·
Royale with cheese.
2,140 Posts
these threads are pretty much identical, you asked if there were any problems, what were the gains like, which will all be answered in the thread i started, why not just post your question in my thread in the first place? not a big deal, but you would get more help if we consolidated into one thread, if you see where i am going with this.

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jphesterly said:
these threads are pretty much identical, you asked if there were any problems, what were the gains like, which will all be answered in the thread i started, why not just post your question in my thread in the first place? not a big deal, but you would get more help if we consolidated into one thread, if you see where i am going with this.
I felt your thread was aimed in a different direction, I honestly thought you were coming more from the side of "why do I need an intercooler, I'm not sure what it does" (no offense meant) instead of asking for actual personal experience with the greddy kit and no FMIC. I honestly thought if I posted my question in your thread it would hijack the thread and send it in a direction you didn't mean it to...

·
Royale with cheese.
2,140 Posts
no, i was wondering if i would have any issues without having the intercooler beacuse i dont have enough for one right now, but from what i had gathered, you should be fine without one but if you want to extract more power and change the amount of boost, you will def. need one. no hard feelings, i was just saying we would get more help if people didnt go through two different threads.

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jphesterly said:
no, i was wondering if i would have any issues without having the intercooler beacuse i dont have enough for one right now, but from what i had gathered, you should be fine without one but if you want to extract more power and change the amount of boost, you will def. need one. no hard feelings, i was just saying we would get more help if people didnt go through two different threads.
ya....no hard feelings here either, it was just some confusion on my part what you were asking and what people had replied...

·
Registered
74 Posts
wow informative so far.... I think someone with the greddy kit had a little overheating problem not sure on the details. :dontknow: another person wrapped some parts with heat shielding wrap maybe that helped.

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ryan768 said:
wow informative so far.... I think someone with the greddy kit had a little overheating problem not sure on the details. :dontknow: another person wrapped some parts with heat shielding wrap maybe that helped.
I know eheh...

hmmm...well I hope if someone did have that problem that they notice this thread and speak up...

·
[email protected] stock tires I/E
1,091 Posts
Ryan768 said:
everybody wraps the parts around the turbo with heat shielding

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bluesiTYPER said:
I would not recommend running w/out the intercooler..
why not? Because you feel it would be a waste considering the power possibilities with the intercooler? or are you saying this from a safety standpoint? Like I said, I plan to get the intercooler...just deciding what I should get initially...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nossy said:
why not? Because you feel it would be a waste considering the power possibilities with the intercooler? or are you saying this from a safety standpoint? Like I said, I plan to get the intercooler...just deciding what I should get initially...
I'm saying that from a safety standpoint, number one..Your stock engine has a high compression ratio; boosting on top of this high of a compression ratio is not reliable without an intercooler..You may get by without it on low boost, but you are much more likely to detonate..Better to spend a little now instead of a lot later..

As for power, it will be night and day..

Happy Boosting :thumbsup: ..

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Ryan768 said:

If youve seen a turbo install up close youd know that the power steering rests right on the turbo.....without heatwrap and heatshield that line would blow in a second

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hurleysurf24 said:
this should be locked for pure stupidity ..... :rolleyes:
go fuck yourself :thumbsup:

I know how to do everything the best way, I've been around cars my entire life, I'm not some n00b who doesn't know how this shit works. My father is a mechanic and since I could walk I was "helping" him at work, so don't make dumbass comments implying you know more than myself or anyone else with these questions.

If Greddy, a respected and well known company, releases a turbo kit WITHOUT an intercooler and they say it works then I would assume it is safe enough. I was just trying to get some other opinions on which direction I should go initially, whether to go all out or in stages. I'm pretty set on getting it all at once, I always was, I just wanted some opinions and thoughts based off of experience before I did it since obviously I've never had a Greddy turboed RSX....

hurley.... :rolleyes:

as for BLueSiTypeR thanks for your input, it's appreciated....

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Nossy said:
go fuck yourself :thumbsup:

I know how to do everything the best way, I've been around cars my entire life, I'm not some n00b who doesn't know how this shit works. My father is a mechanic and since I could walk I was "helping" him at work, so don't make dumbass comments implying you know more than myself or anyone else with these questions.

If Greddy, a respected and well known company, releases a turbo kit WITHOUT an intercooler and they say it works then I would assume it is safe enough. I was just trying to get some other opinions on which direction I should go initially, whether to go all out or in stages. I'm pretty set on getting it all at once, I always was, I just wanted some opinions and thoughts based off of experience before I did it since obviously I've never had a Greddy turboed RSX....

hurley.... :rolleyes:

as for BLueSiTypeR thanks for your input, it's appreciated....

I'd say go with the front mount....Only thing it can hurt is your wallet.....With the high compression of the type s safety is very important...the IC will only help

·
Registered
70 Posts
im not trying to be a prick ... but why would you run an aftermarket setup with no intercooler ?

Ive gone through a b18c turbo hatch and I've been around the turbo seen for quite a while ... so i do know what im talking about.

i just think its blatant that you need to run an intercooler.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts