Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Base RSX 5 speed, with 155,000 miles on it. I bought it new in 2001. It's now my second car, I love it and I want to keep it forever. Moving on.
I struggled financially through college and my 20's with different jobs and living situations, but my RSX was always there as reliable transportation for me and got me through. It means a lot to me, but it needs work.
Fortunately I'm an adult with a career now and it is my project car.
Has anyone had experience with doing an engine swap for the RSX? I was hoping to get a clean low mileage K20Z1, so long as it could be made to work in the 2002. I would be doing the work myself, but I'm interested in total parts cost. I realize that axles and knuckles and ECU and alternator etc etc may need to be replaced, and I intend to do so. What were your total expenses?
Phase two - turbo. I'd rather not do a full engine build. What sort of costs for a daily driven turbo setup will I expect? WHP?
Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
you should stick with the K20A2. my type-s has the stock k20a2 and after building the block with internals, now holds 900hp+. FYI: the 02/04 type-s has a k20a2 and the 05-06 type-s has k20Z. not much difference between the two besides the cams and the Z has a way worse coolant housing location. both engines are within ~10hp of each other.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
5 to 10K. I'd look at a K24 with type S head. I had leaks in the intake so it wasn't building boost and the K24 alone is worth it. You may think 10K is too much, but cost of your car + 10 is as much as a newer Civic, but will drive circles around it and everything else for the most part.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a 2002 Base RSX 5 speed, with 155,000 miles on it. I bought it new in 2001. It's now my second car, I love it and I want to keep it forever. Moving on.
I struggled financially through college and my 20's with different jobs and living situations, but my RSX was always there as reliable transportation for me and got me through. It means a lot to me, but it needs work.
Fortunately I'm an adult with a career now and it is my project car.
Has anyone had experience with doing an engine swap for the RSX? I was hoping to get a clean low mileage K20Z1, so long as it could be made to work in the 2002. I would be doing the work myself, but I'm interested in total parts cost. I realize that axles and knuckles and ECU and alternator etc etc may need to be replaced, and I intend to do so. What were your total expenses?
Phase two - turbo. I'd rather not do a full engine build. What sort of costs for a daily driven turbo setup will I expect? WHP?
Thanks!
Check out the new threads! Theres a dude selling EVERYTHING....you might want? Peace. Hey marco16, how you doing? lol Why haven't you stopped buy for dinner yet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts