Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
OG
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The driver side of my RSX got a little too acquainted with a concrete pillar the other day. Front fender, door, and rear quarter panel got semi-flattened. Took it to a bodyshop to get an estimate and told me it was gonna cost about $5400. Parts and paint would cost me around $2100, but they were gonna charge me about $3300 for labor and keep my car for 4 weeks.

So my question is, has anyone ever repaired their car before? How hard was it? I was thinking about ordering the parts myself, have a garage professionally paint them, then replace the broken parts with them myself.

·
Mmm, 3rd lobe...
10,462 Posts
Pics of damage?

Replaceable parts and areas you can't see are one thing.

$3300 labour tells me that the damage to the quarter and door is pretty gnarly. Depending on the damage to the fender, its not worth paying someone time to repair it, just take it off and put a good one on.

·
WWJDMD?
1,477 Posts
Just replace all the piece that you can urself then take it back to the shop and have them do the quarter panel and paint.

·
Registered
362 Posts
when my driver door and fender got fucked up, i was quoted 1500 to replace the door skin and fender, plus the painting. i found a driver side fender on ebay for $75, so i got that and just had the guy repaint the fender and fix the door skin, ended up only being 500. I'd suggest you look in the f/s forums for any body parts, or check out ebay

·
All motor Pro
1,583 Posts
when my driver door and fender got fucked up, i was quoted 1500 to replace the door skin and fender, plus the painting. i found a driver side fender on ebay for $75, so i got that and just had the guy repaint the fender and fix the door skin, ended up only being 500. I'd suggest you look in the f/s forums for any body parts, or check out ebay
Word. Get a part quote from Acura and give it to your insurance company. Then get the part on CRSX or Ebay and get back some of that money your reemed of every month..:giggitygiggity: FTW

·
OG
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics of damage?

Replaceable parts and areas you can't see are one thing.

$3300 labour tells me that the damage to the quarter and door is pretty gnarly. Depending on the damage to the fender, its not worth paying someone time to repair it, just take it off and put a good one on.
I'll post pics when I can. The quarter panel isn't the worst part actually, its the fender and door skin that needs to be replaced. There's another part, on the Acura OEM parts website, called the Side Sill Reinforcement that's bent in on my car. Anyways, I know the fender shouldn't be too hard, but everything else is gonna be a pain. Especially the door skin, so I might have the shop do that.

·
OG
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet! But only $500? I heard replacing the door skin is a pain in the ass (the door skin itself costs around 350 bucks).

·
I-VTEC, DO YOU?
2,191 Posts
u dont want to fuck around with a door skin.. just get a new door and fender for under 500 pretty easily if there your color a bonus, if not that shouldnt cost a shop more then 100-200 bucks to paint so hopefully they wouldnt charge u much over 600 or so, long run u should be able to keep it around a grand

·
Registered
295 Posts
I went to school for body work and can tell you personal experience that it takes a hot second to perfect the use of body filler. Replacing a door skin is in fact a bitch. +1 for replacing the fender/door and getting a professional to do the rest. Can't really give you an estimate without pictures, but you can probably expect to pay more than 500 bucks. Bondo/filler work isn't cheap. Good luck man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.