Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
NYC Anarchy
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've thinking again & again to put a LSD & a little bit bigger final drive in my tranny.
However, It's it just the same thing as Type R Tranny?
I'm not looking for crazy max. top speed. (Shame to tell, my max. speed was only 127mph). But I do a lot of engine brake & need more corner performence. should I really thinking about getting a used Type R Tranny? how much are they running?
Thanks

·
My Brain is broken
658 Posts
Type R tranny has a final drive of 4.7 and an LSD along with the gearing of a type s tranny if I remember correctly. the only difference right there.

How many miles do you have on your current tranny? If you are planning a rebuild it might just be easier to put a new final drive and LSD in then for cheaper as well.

Also by the questions you are asking im guessing you arent going to be putting it in yourself which is going to cost you a lot for labor.

Also if you plan on ever boosting a 4.7 fd is going to be harder to get traction with than a 4.3

·
Registered
76 Posts
Type R tranny has a final drive of 4.7 and an LSD along with the gearing of a type s tranny if I remember correctly. the only difference right there.

How many miles do you have on your current tranny? If you are planning a rebuild it might just be easier to put a new final drive and LSD in then for cheaper as well.

Also by the questions you are asking im guessing you arent going to be putting it in yourself which is going to cost you a lot for labor.

Also if you plan on ever boosting a 4.7 fd is going to be harder to get traction with than a 4.3
I own a type r tranny. There are more differences in gearing than just the final drive, I don't have my graph on this computer so you'd have to look that part up. Also the stock FD on a type s is 4.4 not 4.3.
I put my type r tranny and CC stage 4 clutch and 8pd flywheel in at the same time. It was worth it, you can tell a huge difference in acceleration, throttle response, and cornering (lsd). One problem is they are just as prone to the 2-3 gear problems as the usdm trannys. Mine is fucking up after 2 years of vary aggressive shifting and 1/4 racing.

·
NYC Anarchy
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the story is, my clutch is almost done. I am replacing the clutch anyway.

I am planning to something not too crazy that good for everyday driving (which I hit a lot of traffics). I want something that can survive a little bit longer.
But on the other hand, I want something that can be hold up whenever I push the car hard very once in a while. At least hold up better then a stock clutch...

Then, I think since I am take off the trany down anyway, it's a excuse for me to put the LSD that I always want.

My mechainic suggested me to get a stock type-R tranny, which including everything I want. (And It's easier for his work also... I don't really trust anyone around me has the patience and skill to mess w/ tranny). Perfect bolt-on (supposed to be) headache free, and I can't sale my old stock tranny for little money (if there is anyone wants it)

Superstockie:
so there are some 2-3 gear problem as USDM?? I can't believe it....
I suprised about the type-R is fragile...
the idea about a Type-R supposed to be "put the roll cage and ready for track".....
I missed the good old days....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, the story is, my clutch is almost done. I am replacing the clutch anyway.

I am planning to something not too crazy that good for everyday driving (which I hit a lot of traffics). I want something that can survive a little bit longer.
But on the other hand, I want something that can be hold up whenever I push the car hard very once in a while. At least hold up better then a stock clutch...

Then, I think since I am take off the trany down anyway, it's a excuse for me to put the LSD that I always want.

My mechainic suggested me to get a stock type-R tranny, which including everything I want. (And It's easier for his work also... I don't really trust anyone around me has the patience and skill to mess w/ tranny). Perfect bolt-on (supposed to be) headache free, and I can't sale my old stock tranny for little money (if there is anyone wants it)

Superstockie:
so there are some 2-3 gear problem as USDM?? I can't believe it....
I suprised about the type-R is fragile...
the idea about a Type-R supposed to be "put the roll cage and ready for track".....
I missed the good old days....
The type r tranny IS a direct bolt on tranny, nothing to it. How long any tranny lasts you is all going to depend on how you treat it. My type r tranny has lasted me over 2 years and 50+ track passes and countless other races, its just recently started to act up. If you drive cautiously and carefully shift it it can last you a long time.
All in all with the experience Ive had with it I would highly recommend it as an upgrade for what you have now. You can keep the trans you have now and build it up nicely for later, or sell it. Make sure to upgrade the clutch and flywheel while your at it. Some people will say other wise but id go with a 6 puck Competition Clutch with a 9pd flywheel.

·
My Brain is broken
658 Posts
I own a type r tranny. There are more differences in gearing than just the final drive, I don't have my graph on this computer so you'd have to look that part up. Also the stock FD on a type s is 4.4 not 4.3.
I put my type r tranny and CC stage 4 clutch and 8pd flywheel in at the same time. It was worth it, you can tell a huge difference in acceleration, throttle response, and cornering (lsd). One problem is they are just as prone to the 2-3 gear problems as the usdm trannys. Mine is fucking up after 2 years of vary aggressive shifting and 1/4 racing.
Ah, thanks. I wasnt certain just trying to help the guy out since no one else was responding.

02PWP crew holla

·
CL7 Type-R Engine
4,144 Posts
the itr tranny has lsd 4.7 FD and shorter 4,5,6 gear ratio
the FD on a 02-04 type-s is 4.3
the FD on a 05-06 type-s is 4.7

there is no such ting as a 4.4 FD

·
My Brain is broken
658 Posts

i thought it was a 4.3

·
NYC Anarchy
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a '03. So it should be fine, right?
THank you very much, guys!!
I gotta work on some numbers now...

·
Because Racecar
1,994 Posts

:iamwiths: The Type-r tranny I have compared to my old Type-s tranny has a shorter and in my eyes more linear selection of gearing (4-5-6). It also comes with a 4.7 Final Drive ratio where my old Type-s tranny had a 4.3 Final Drive ratio.

After 6-8 months I changed that ratio to the ATS 5.062 Final Drive. Now the gearing is even shorter and the excelleration is fantastic.

When you change your Final Drive to a higher ratio, you get the illusion of more torque. This is because the Final Drive acts as a torque multiplier for the engine. All in all the gearing is great and the car is much more fun to drive. I would never go back to the Type-s gearing & Final Drive.

*I have been referring to the DC5R transmission (Y2M3)

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts
the 05-06/itr final drive is 4.764... the 02-04 final drive is a 4.388, that's a lot closer to 4.4 than 4.3... just check on kmanager if you don't believe me... i'll just do screenshots...

·
Registered
25 Posts
there's 3 trannys actually of true Type R

the EP3/DC5 tranny
FD: 4,764
1: 3,266
2: 2,130
3: 1,517
4: 1,212
5: 0,972
6: 0,780

the CL7 tranny
4: 1,147
5: 0,921
6: 0,738

The FD2 tranny
FD: 5,062

I've attached a grafic comparative of that, they interfiere in same results, varing the first 3 gears or the last 3 gears in wheel results

for performance the cornering you need better mid range and you can perform it with the shorter final drive, I use a 5.84 final drive with the CL7/FD2 gears and it's so wonderful, but a 5.84 do problems because the gearbox not allways resist this ratio

depends on where you use your car, you need diferent specs, my next spec is a close ratio gears

Attachments

·
Because Racecar
1,994 Posts
FYI Honda is **considering** offering crate engines and transmissions right now. I just spoke with John at Hytech and he is supposed to get a feeling for the marketplace for these items. If you would like to see this happen, I suggest calling/emailing him so he cal relay the amount of interest there is to Honda.

·
It is inevitable
15,843 Posts
there's 3 trannys actually of true Type R

the EP3/DC5 tranny
4: 1,212
5: 0,972
6: 0,780

the CL7 tranny

The FD2 tranny
FD: 5,062

I've attached a grafic comparative of that, they interfiere in same results, varing the first 3 gears or the last 3 gears in wheel results

for performance the cornering you need better mid range and you can perform it with the shorter final drive, I use a 5.84 final drive with the CL7/FD2 gears and it's so wonderful, but a 5.84 do problems because the gearbox not allways resist this ratio

depends on where you use your car, you need diferent specs, my next spec is a close ratio gears
have you considered the tsx 6th gear for cruising? what rpm are you at with any given speed in 6th?

FYI Honda is **considering** offering crate engines and transmissions right now. I just spoke with John at Hytech and he is supposed to get a feeling for the marketplace for these items. If you would like to see this happen, I suggest calling/emailing him so he cal relay the amount of interest there is to Honda.
eh, take what they say with a grain of salt... i have a 2005 issue of honda tuning where they were talking about being close to starting up a crate program.

·
Registered
25 Posts
have you considered the tsx 6th gear for cruising? what rpm are you at with any given speed in 6th?
my cruise RPM in 6th is 4500-5000 rpm, but there's no problem, the fueling is the same as stock

but I'm rebuliding the gearbox now, I'm making a close ratio gearbox, it's a long project and it can see the light in two months, the total cost is low, 1500$ renewing synchros

1 - 20 of 87 Posts