Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

anyone have a paint shop hook-up?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  The Passion 
#1 ·
Repainting my rsx. Wondering if anyone had a hook-up or knew of a Paint and Body shop in SoCal that does good paint jobs for a reasonable price. I am not changing the color of paint just going to repaint it the same color due to 8 years of wear and tear on the original PWP. I know that most paint jobs range from 2500-6000+ but i'm just wonderin. thanks

#2 ·
There's a shop around my area who paints cars REAL nice for 600$ish they paint most of the shit out here now adays. I got a compressor and a gun and I'm painting my car tommarow lol I'm not looking forward to it because it's a lot of prep work. I spent 150$ on the primer, 150$ on the basecoat and a quart of pearl, and another 110$ on the clearcoat. That doesn't include the mixing cups, sticks, body filler, and all this other stupid sandpaper crap lol. So in reality, how much am I really saving? -__-

It was a rhetorical question by the way lol. I have at least the satisifaction that I prepped it properly, but the downside is the isocyanate contaminates, overspray, and the time I will never get back.

#4 ·
Honestly, I don't think you could just spray right over it and call it a day.. from what I've been quoted by other paint shops and even a reputable moderator on here they said the whole panel would have to be repainted. So I take it your whole door must be repainted, don't quote me on this cus I just started painting but I've done my research.

#7 ·
#10 ·
There are many places that will paint your car for a few to several hundred dollars. The problem is that they are almost guaranteed to be skimping on the proper sanding and prepping, and they are probably using cheap paint and/or clear coat that will eventually cause the paint to oxidize and chip away. Most of the good shops who are charging $2000+ will have some sort of warranty against this. So, if you are about to sell your car and have no moral problems with selling someone a great looking car that will oxidize in a couple years, you can go with the cheaper option. If you are planning on keeping your car for any length of time, you should go for the more expensive option (with a suitable warranty...many are lifetime) and keep all documentation.

All that being said, I recently moved back to Santa Monica, and my car that was sold to me here 6 years ago (freshly painted at that point :eek:) is now oxidized and chipped to hell :ugh:. I also have a several cracks in the bumper and a dent in the door's body line that need to get fixed. I'm getting a full paint job to get the job done right to last me 'til the car dies...anyone got a recommendation for places around here?

So far, I have found these:

Santa Monica Bodycraft Center: $5545 (For everything above)
LA Car Guy Body Shop: Getting quote tomorrow
Anthony's Body Shop: Getting quote later
M's Body Shop: Getting quote later

Any good/bad experiences with these, or any other recommendations?...I'm obviously going to pit them against eachother for a better price once I get the different quotes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.