Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea does anyone have the hondata4 flash and intake, race header, exhuast doing ok? good gains, or dangerously lean. just wondering becuase i wanted to go this set up but that one guy said his motor was dangerously lean. which brings me to the question again. anyone runing that set up and doing great?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Are we sure that it is really "dangerously" lean? If that's the case it will make me want to upgarde to the Hondata K-Pro sooner than expected.

·
TeamDC5
748 Posts
I am currently running a similar setup. Hondata4, aem cai, jackson race header, and greddy evo exhaust. Before Hondata i was running pretty lean and layed down 190.2 to the wheels, but after i got hondata i havent dyno'd yet. But i have been running consistent low 14's at the track with the setup in my sig. So i really dont think there is any problem running a lil bit lean. I want to do dyno again and see how hondata affected everything.I mean theres prolly hundred of ppl running a similar setup here and we havent heard of too many problems.

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
I was gonna say that there alot of ppl in here with that setup. I think if you read through a bunch of the old threads, you'll find tht I/H/E and Hondata, along with the ITR intake manifold has been known to run a bit lean in isolated cases. And again, even with that setup, not everyone has problems. But the Hondata flash was written for I/H/E.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
No one has ever had a really terrible problem. So far only one guy has run lean(that was like 3 weeks ago and since everyone has gone crazy about it). 3 weeks ago, no one would have thought twice about it, but since that A/f ratio came up, now everyone is going crazy. I'm sure you'll be fine.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
pints99 said:
No one has ever had a really terrible problem. So far only one guy has run lean(that was like 3 weeks ago and since everyone has gone crazy about it). 3 weeks ago, no one would have thought twice about it, but since that A/f ratio came up, now everyone is going crazy. I'm sure you'll be fine.
ya really WTF is up with all these ppl getting all paranoid about hondata and race header :dontknow:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just a precaution. no one wants detonation, so i mean thanks for the people who run that set up, if your doing fine, then what the hell.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
BlueRSXS03 said:
I am currently running a similar setup. Hondata4, aem cai, jackson race header, and greddy evo exhaust. Before Hondata i was running pretty lean and layed down 190.2 to the wheels, but after i got hondata i havent dyno'd yet. But i have been running consistent low 14's at the track with the setup in my sig. So i really dont think there is any problem running a lil bit lean. I want to do dyno again and see how hondata affected everything.I mean theres prolly hundred of ppl running a similar setup here and we havent heard of too many problems.

Running a little lean = :cool:
Running really lean = :nervous:

I would personally go with the type r flash (cams and manifold too) if I was using a race header. Only reason I would not get the K pro (at the moment anyway) is because there is no one down here I trust to tune my car.

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
APEXiTypes said:
....there is no one down here I trust to tune my car.
No joke.....that might be one big reason why I don't have a JRSC yet. Don't trust anyone to install it.

Back on topic:

Think of it this way, each mod you do to your intake/exhaust adds more air. Hondata was tuned with I/H/E. Take away one of those, and the ECU now has less air to work with. Say you only do intake and exhaust, no header. The ECU now thinks it has more air than it does, because the Hondata flash is expecting to see a header, or more specifically, more air flow, both in and out. You MIGHT (and notice I stressed the word MIGHT) experience a little richness. But look around the boards and you'll see that there are ALOT of ppl with just I/E/Hondata and having zero problems. At least I hope so, I will be joining them maybe this week.

Now, let's take this the other way. Say you add the ITR intake manifold and a bored/tapered throttle body. MORE air for the ECU to deal with. The potential now exists for a lean condition. Whether or not it would be a truly "dangerous" lean condition, I doubt it. I do remember Hondata stating that they tune this flash on the safe side, to give you more of a "grace-period" before you are running lean enough to cause any detonation or other engine damage.

It's a balance. You can do alot of different things to pull your A/F ratio to one side or the other. That's why the K-Pro is going to be so COOL...

Long story short, you CAN do things to your motor to make it go lean. You know how to fix that? DON'T do those things. Know what mods to work in together to keep the balance. Whatever you decide to do to it, make sure that it can handle what you're doing to it. You want to add that ITR IM? Then expect to need to make up for the air flow you're adding along with it. (first off, I'm not sure why anyone would just install the IM by itself, I'm just using it as an example)

Now, should we add head-porting to this conversation, or would we just all get confused? :laughing:

·
Tyler
1,620 Posts
My friend John (rsxtc338) has Hondata # 4, AEM CAI, JR Header, Carsound Cat, and Greddy Evo exhaust. His car is quick as hell and runs great.

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
I've been paranoid about this also. But I guess it's not as big of a deal as everyone is making it =\

hopefully my car won't go putt putt after install

·
Banned
178 Posts
pints99 said:
i was so close to gettin hondata 4 and then the comptech RH then, like u said, about 3 weeks ago i heard all this shit about running lean. It really bummed me out cuz i had all this shit planned, now im think of spending more frigin cash for the k pro

·
Freedom is not free!
4,112 Posts
AEM CAI
ITR IM
Hondata IM Gasket
Comptech Race Header
Magnaflow Full Catback
Hondata #4

No problems so far. No CEL or anything.

·
Registered
626 Posts
APEXiTypes said:
Running a little lean = :cool:
Running really lean = :nervous:

I would personally go with the type r flash (cams and manifold too) if I was using a race header. Only reason I would not get the K pro (at the moment anyway) is because there is no one down here I trust to tune my car.
Exactly. I don't know or trust anyone to mess with my settings when I order my K-Pro. Still the options and choice of settings with the K-Pro can't be beat with a stick. Guess we will just have to wait to find that Hondata master tuner here in South Florida. :crying:

·
Banned
178 Posts
mainstray said:
AEM CAI
ITR IM
Hondata IM Gasket
Comptech Race Header
Magnaflow Full Catback
Hondata #4

No problems so far. No CEL or anything.
have u dynoed with that set up yet?
if so were u running lean or ne thing

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
DragonRSXS said:
Exactly. I don't know or trust anyone to mess with my settings when I order my K-Pro. Still the options and choice of settings with the K-Pro can't be beat with a stick. Guess we will just have to wait to find that Hondata master tuner here in South Florida. :crying:
I feel your pain. I can't find no one...

·
Freedom is not free!
4,112 Posts
VTECdTypS said:
have u dynoed with that set up yet?
if so were u running lean or ne thing
Haven't gotten the chance to dyno yet. Probbably won't since I have my eye on a 350z. But we'll see.

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
lean= more air in the A/F mix
rich= more fuel in the A/F mix

1 - 20 of 33 Posts