Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The comptechusa only has the type-s. I've done multiple searches, they all came up blank (well lots of type-s's, but that's irrelevant). The injen CAI appears to give decent torque in my daily driving range (2.5-4.5k), just wondering how the icebox compares before I commit to one or the other.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Icebox has better low to mid range torque and better throttle response, with a deeper but quieter tone. It's better for daily driving. Sorry, I have no dynograph for you. But take my word for it. I'm opinionated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually James_S, it's your comments that even got me curious about the icebox. I was just hoping to dig up a dyno that backs your generous opine up.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I've been looking for that same dyno. It sucks how companies like Comptech just don't even care enough to provide a simple dyno graph for base owners. :(

·
Registered
333 Posts
On Comptech's website you can find a base dyno under the Civic Si section...it's the same engine.

The only problem is that they compare only these two graphs: Si motor with Header/Exhaust, and Si motor with Header/Exhaust/Icebox... and the gain looks marginal at best... there is no dyno of a motor/Icebox, which is the setup I'm looking for.

p.s. I'm also in the Icebox/Injen CAI conundrum! Any more opinions/help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't thought about looking under the Civic Si section. It is unfortunate that it isn't with just the Icebox though. Even with the Icebox combined with their exhaust system the gains are not very impressive....really the only significant gain is up around 6000RPM+. :(

·
Registered
333 Posts
exactly blackandred, which is so weird because everyone keeps reporting that the low-end and throttle feel is what you get with Icebox... but their graphs show different... i'm so confused... even the gains from Injen look pretty weak to me, but everyone on this site hypes it up like crazy.

Is it REALLY worth the money? and with CAI, is it really worth the money AND the chance you might hydrolock?

soo freakin confused.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hadn't thought of that either, but is the EP3 actually similar enough to consider? I'm assuming their engine bay shape is different, and thus they have a different intake. Again, just an assumption.

Also, doesn't the EP3 have the type-s intake, meaning that their baseline isn't the same as ours (peak torque's are not the same). I don't think you can assume their graph is necessarily a good indicator.

CAI worth the money? That seems like a personal call. I enjoy pulling my car apart and putting it back together, so for me it's yes. I just want the product that best suits me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah, but I can take my car apart for 'fun' without spending $300 on a useless part favoured by ricers and undereducated teenagers. If I do something to the car, it should be worthwhile to the driving experience, not just for kicks.

also, Comptech is really good about answering email questions... if you think the EP3 isn't similar enough, shoot em an email and find out, and share the results with us. It was through an email to Comptech that I was referred to the EP3 graph in the first place.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
True. I think the injen/AEM CAIs have the dyno's to prove that it's actually an improvement, but whether or not you think it's worth it is personal. The icebox doesn't have any proof, hence the whole thread. What's a 5% gain worth to you? Anything?

I emailed them from my charter account last night (because I loath to give out my work address, SPAM :shooting: ), so I probably have the same email sitting in my inbox at home. I’ll definitely ask them tonight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
They told me to look at the SI, they don't have a 5speed dyno. However, it's a different icebox (330-150 as oppose to 330-120), so I don't think it's relevant. Personally I'm not interested without seeing a dyno.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts