Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buying an aftermarket Vented hood for my RSX cause my turbo heats my engine bay pretty bad and I can feel the car losing performance as soon as it gets hot in there. So I was wondering if anyone else has one and if they have noticed cooler temps in the car. Also, Would it not mess up the motor when it rains and all that water pours into our engine bays??
thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
i see alot of cars (not rsx) that just use an oem cf hood and they do this hood prop thing in the back by the hinges i believe that supposed to let the heat out...so since its just a modification to the hinges, it should be possible to do with the stock hood

·
Tarmac meister
5,640 Posts
i was going to use a WRX hood scoop on my stock hood. if somehow you can make this work then you can cool off the engine alot.

·
8" member
3,542 Posts
the wrx scoop is specifically there for its intercooler placement. it wont do much good on a turbo rsx in my opinion becuase the opening isnt THAT big. i think you're better off getting either the wings west evo hood, vis invader, vis extreme gt, or mugen replica. those are all vented hoods that can be found for around 500 shipped (not the evo hood, though. thats just ugly and expensive)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
As much as i like the look of the carbon fiber hoods, i found out something 2 weeks ago that made no sense to me.

There is a modded out civic in this body shop. Front hit, not too badly damaged. Drag Gen 3 turbo. AND a carbon fiber hood. My friend (who works there) said he doesnt understand why people get the carbon fiber hoods, so i tell him its to cut down on weight. He proceeds to take me out to the back yard and points out the slightly damaged hood from the civic leaning against a car that had been cut in half. He tells me to pick it up, so i do. Its not that heavy. I shake my head, and put it down. He walks over to the junk pile and pules a hood from cadalac out of the junk pile and tells me to pick it up.

The hood from the cadalac is by far larger than the carbon fiber hood from the cive, but when i pick it up, they weigh almost the same. I was thinking that this kid who owned the civic probably bought a cheap carbon fiber hood, but its a show car (the plague with all the mods was still in the trunk) and everything else on the car was pretty good quality.

Just made me wonder. I am still going to get one down the road, even if it is only for the looks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Most people get the hoods for looks. *shrug*

When people say they get them for weight reduction, to me that's like ordering a diet coke with a double bacon cheeseburger. Unless your car is already mostly gutted, it's not helping you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts