Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 475 Posts

·
driving my dream
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hub-centric or not, I've tried them all on my car. If you have the wrong offset on your wheels and are wondering what set-up will work or not, ask me. I've tried them all because of my +55 offset wheels. I've tried 5mm, 8mm, 5/16, 7/32, 10mm, 15mm and 25mm spacers. This has costed me a lot of money but I wanted the perfect set-up and was willing to experiment.

5mm are the only ones you can use without longer studs. Replacing our studs is not a quick job and they are pressed so mostly only shops can do this (so you have to add the cost of labour into the total).

For those with ITR +60 offset wheels, I recommend H&R or Eibach 25mm spacers all around or 25mm in the rear and 15mm in the front. This set-up looked awesome and felt very stable compared to the 5mm spacers we had on to make them work.

·
Registered
944 Posts
hm... are our wheel that different than type-r? I just got one. If I don't put the spacer in there, would it cause any problems? And you said use 25mm all around, does that means i have to get longer stud for each one of then? Any idea how muchit will cost me?

thanks

Wills

·
driving my dream
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
zirconc said:
hm... are our wheel that different than type-r? I just got one. If I don't put the spacer in there, would it cause any problems? And you said use 25mm all around, does that means i have to get longer stud for each one of then? Any idea how muchit will cost me?

thanks

Wills
Our stock wheels are +45 offset on a 6.5" rim, as compared to +60 (Type-r) on a 7" rim. Some people get rubbing, some don't with the ITR rims. Whether or not you get rubbing, (without spacers) you will notice that your car's stability has changed for the worse due to a narrower stance. I noticed this even with my +55 offset wheels before I added the 5mm spacer.

If you buy any spacers 10mm or more, they come supplied with the correct size wheel-studs to accomodate for the added length needed. They are also hub-centric which is very important when adding spacers. H&R sells them for about $120 to $130 for a pair. And then factor in about 2.5 hrs labour to change the wheels studs. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just went with the right offset in the first place and avoided all this.

Why get spacers? Because u want your new wheels to be better (handling and looks wise), not worse than the original ones. U have to remember that normally when you go to a larger rim (like 17's or 18's) even with the same offset as stock, the wheels will come out more because the diameter of rim usually goes up as well. This is why aftermarket rims look and handle so much better. You just don't wanna go backwards from this.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Maybe you can help me with this (since I'm totally ignorant on this topic). I have 17" Nakayama Vadors, which say they have an offset of 42mm. Is that kind of bad/low/in need of improvement? I've noticed that the rims could stand to be a bit wider to aling with the car's body (of course, doing so might not be adviseable, since I'm dropped about 1.5" on Progress's and the tire might rub against the edge of the wheel well -- it's pretty close already).

Anyway, just wanted to see your thoughts. I've never worked with spacers before, and never really considered offsets that much.

(BTW: hubcentric? quick definition?)

:dontknow:

·
parts selling freak
1,409 Posts
getting wheels and tires soon. just wondering will i have problems with rubbing using 17x7 wheels (OZ supperleggera's) w/ 45mm offset and 225-45-17 tires? my car is lowered but i jic's to adjust :thumbsup:

·
Registered
944 Posts
So for the ITR rim, I need 15mm wheel spacer for both front and back to make it all around to fit? Any idea where people sell H&R spacer for the best price? I should have checked this before I bought the rim......

thanks

·
driving my dream
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
suprpwr said:
Maybe you can help me with this (since I'm totally ignorant on this topic). I have 17" Nakayama Vadors, which say they have an offset of 42mm. Is that kind of bad/low/in need of improvement? I've noticed that the rims could stand to be a bit wider to aling with the car's body (of course, doing so might not be adviseable, since I'm dropped about 1.5" on Progress's and the tire might rub against the edge of the wheel well -- it's pretty close already).

Anyway, just wanted to see your thoughts. I've never worked with spacers before, and never really considered offsets that much.

(BTW: hubcentric? quick definition?)

:dontknow:
Well your Nakayamas actually come out 9mm more than your stock rims do (because of the rim width as well as offset difference), but our stock rims look quite tucked. You are within normal range, but you can add a 5mm spacers without any rubbing. I'll sell mine (all 4 for $20 shipped) if you wish to go with this option.
Hub centric means that the spacers rests on the hubs and not on the studs. RSX hubs are 64.1 mm and hub-centric spacers are bored to that exact dimension.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Type-Sly, thx for offering your knowledge up...

For 17X7's with 48mm offset would I really need a spacer since they are only 3mm diff than stock? thx

·
driving my dream
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dr-K - The outside of your wheel actually comes out by 3mm because of the 7" rim width. Your fine.

Overall with a 225 size tire and up to 8" rim, Noone really needs spacers if their rims offset is anywhere between +50 and +35. I've tried a bunch of different offset and spacer combinations in 2 different RSX's (on the street and track) to test the differences in handling/looks. The reason why I started this thread is because when I was in the market for spacers, I couldn't find hardly any answers because not many people have even used them before. There were questions but no answers. I'm really anal about my car, so I needed to know before settling with a certain set-up. :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey Thx!

I can relate to being "really anal about my car". This RSX has me hooked (friends & family are getting jealous) :thumbsup:

·
Asian dude
3,145 Posts
The rear studs are very easy to change. As for the front, it's a pain in the ass. You need a press for that one. I did have +55 offset wheels on my car and it didn't handle as great as the stocks. They were stock tl-s wheels. Good thing I got my money back from them and put the stocks back on.

·
JDM in the Werks
816 Posts
hey man I just bought ADR sokudo, 18" by 7.5" with a +48 offset, how big of spacers will i need if any, can you get them at a local tire shop?

·
driving my dream
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not your Type said:
Type-Sly,
Before going to H&R spacer/hub-rings, were you getting any vibrations with just generic 5mm spacers?
Yes, if you just slap them on, you will get vibrations. What I did was center the rings and duct-taped them into place (ghetto, i know :eek: ). This worked, but the downside is everytime you take off your wheels you have to retape them. Another member on here glued his and that worked for him.
On a side note: It is recommended that you get 7 full rotations on your lugs before reaching rim but with 5mm spacers, you only get 5.5 rotations. This never proved to be a problem however, as I've used them on both autocross and Track days. The lugs never loosened.

pickard29- +48 is actually the most ideal offset on 18" w/ 225 tires. It gives you almost equal clearance from inside to outside.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I got a question. My friend bought a OZ rim with Tire Rack. The offset is +55mm. He does not need any wheel spacer. Tire Rack some how correct teh offset by putting something in the center of the rin to correct offset. It that workable for the ITR rims?

·
driving my dream
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
zirconc said:
I got a question. My friend bought a OZ rim with Tire Rack. The offset is +55mm. He does not need any wheel spacer. Tire Rack some how correct teh offset by putting something in the center of the rin to correct offset. It that workable for the ITR rims?
What Tire-Rack included with his rims are hub-centric "rings" bored to 64.1mm to fit onto the hub properly (therefore you won't get any wheel-vibration). This is because after-market companies will make their wheels with the biggest possible bore, to ensure that it will fit MOST makes & models. Don't mistake these for hub-centric "spacers" that push your wheels out further. It is IMPOSSIBLE to change the offset of your wheels.

Hub-centric "rings" = $10 US for all 4

Hub-centric "spacers" = $200 to $400 for all 4

edit: Oh and as for your friend not needing a spacer like I said in my previous post: I put mine (+55 offset) on without spacers at first, but it narrowed the stance which made it handle worse and it looked weird being even more tucked than the original wheels (which are really tucked!). THIS IS HOW I STARTED MY SEARCH FOR SPACERS AND INFO in the first place!! For him it's no big deal because he can fix this problem with with 5mm cheapy spacers ($30 US) and easy to install because he doesn't need to change his studs.

·
JDM in the Werks
816 Posts
sorry, so no spacers needed is what your saying?

·
Remember Acura_Gurl?
7,025 Posts
pickard29 said:
sorry, so no spacers needed is what your saying?
Correct. I have 18x8 (+48) with 225s with no problems, however I'd prefer if the wheels stuck out a bit more.

Type-Sly, thanks for the info. I'm not sure I can justify over $100 on spacers, so maybe I'll see how the getto route goes first :D :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 475 Posts