Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My applicators are really dirty and I need new ones. I'm wondering if the Meguiar's applicators I see at Wal-Mart are safe to use? I'm planning on using the Meguair's applicators to apply my next coat of Zaino.... Frosty, Homer is this cool??

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hi

yea, what Frosty said - foam aint the best for this product.
make sure the cloth is nice and soft (read that as no polyester if you can) . . . and you can wash the applicators - warm water, dish soap, air dry . . is best

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was wondering the consistency of Zainos. Is it like lotion? I would think foam is better since it'll absorb less of the product as opposed to terrycloth towels.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
it is like lotion . . .

and the developer suggests the cotton/terry applicator pad (it has a sponge-like core) over a foam one

some folks use foam

having never used the foam, i "cant" suggest it - i would never suggest something that i havent tried or seen done, saying it would work.

i understand you point, the more flat and even surface of a foam pad "should " deliver the product more evenly across the surface while absording less . . . i suspect it has more to do with the potential problem that the material may bring - since it is not a controlled item - unlike when a tag says 100% cotton - you know what u get ( you dont with foam) . there is no room for forgiveness with the closed cell foam - unlike a cloth pad, there is a place for contaminent to hide and not rub the paint . . .

hope that helps -

·
Premium Member
20,803 Posts
HilfigerCelica said:
I was wondering the consistency of Zainos. Is it like lotion? I would think foam is better since it'll absorb less of the product as opposed to terrycloth towels.
I imagine foam would work fine, but as Homer2 mentioned, since foam is a closed cell applicator, you run more of a risk of swirling and scratching the paint surface.

I don't that absorbing and even application should be major concerns. Zaino goes on considerably thinner than wax; you don't have to worry about the application being uniform since you won't notice it as long as everywhere gets some product on it.
And as for absorbing, even with a terrycloth you use about 1/2 oz of Zaino to coat an entire car, again, considerably less than wax. A foam applicator may well reduce the amount used from 1/2 oz to 30/64 oz, but at that point it's really nickel-and-diming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts