Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rotaredom
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Zymol Wax.....and I apply it putting it on a micro fiber cloth...
I tried squirting some directly on the car, but that made it hard to buff out and it was uneven.
When I put it on the cloth, the cloth absorbs a lot of it and I can't really get completely even coverage when waxing portion by portion.
So I'm just asking, would it be okay to apply it by hand and rub it on with your fingers instead of a cloth?
Lot less absorption and it seems like it could be more effective.
Any adverse affects in doing this? :dontknow:

·
Registered
337 Posts
i would go out and buy some round applicators like the ones that come with meguiars gold class. They make it a lot easier to get even coverage and ur hands don't get waxed too.

plus i feel like some of the oil and grease on ur hands wouldn't be good. I know i've left handprints on my car when washing/waxing, not sure if that would be good when applying wax

·
Registered
346 Posts
Round phone applicators from turtle wax r fine - what i wanna know is how to wax a black car - i was told there is a special way because spider webs show in the gloss finish

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a NBP and i wax just the same as everybody else. I haevn't had a problem with it. The swirls show up more than on other colors but that doesn't mean there are more of them, just mroe noticeable. I usually start with the hood and front grille and work my way around the car, stopping to check parts i've already waxed to see if they are ready to be burnished off. Of course i usually end up waxing on humid days so i usually make it all the way around the car.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
Um, you don't want to use your hand to apply wax. With the pad, I already have enough of the residue getting on my hand and it's tough to wash it off. I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to use my bare hand. :nervous: :shakehea:

Get a proper foam pad, you can squeeze it as you are applying so some of the buried wax will come out. Apply wax in a criss cross pattern on the pad (not on the paint) and wax in small portions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What kind of Zymol? I ask this because I have this one called the Zymol "Concours," and it cost me a $100 bucks. The carnuba content is so high that the instructions require you to use your hand to melt and apply the wax. It's really neat because it's somewhat hard, but it begins to liquify when you place your fingers in the wax and swirl it around. The shine, color, and water beads are amazing. Unfortunately, the amount of work to apply and wipe off the wax is so high that I don't use it anymore (I'm over it). Check it out at:
http://www.autogeek.net/zymconglaz.html

·
Registered
175 Posts
The general consensus is that Zymol is overpriced. The best carnuba wax is S100/ P21S as far as bang for the buck. If money is not an issue, I'd go with Pinnacle Souveran.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I don't think it's very good to use your bare hand. You never know, this kind of stuff can get in your skin and in your system. I'm not saying wax is poison but you don't wanna take any chances.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Frosty said:
I thought the main idea for people that hand apply (with hands), was that your body heat melts the wax more to get into the little swirls better.

A rubber glove would defeat that purpose... probably would cause other problems too.
hmmmmmmmm

what if u leave the wax out in the sun for a little while. I've never heard about that!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts