Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a buddy with a RSX-S who is getting a port and polish. He is saying it gains like 30hp. I told him he full of shit. Bout how much could you expect?

G

·
FaintReality said:
My friend has a buddy with a RSX-S who is getting a port and polish. He is saying it gains like 30hp. I told him he full of shit. Bout how much could you expect?
With no cams, high comp. pistons, turbo, supercharger, nitrous, etc. probably no more than 10 hp. If the person doing the porting does a bad job he could also lose 10 hp. Porting Honda heads is a fine art. There isn't much you can take out to help air flow, but if you take too much out you'll make the ports too large and actually cause the airflow to be slower than stock. Usually you need more than just a few bolt-ons to make porting a cost effective modification. I recommend your friend save the money he's spending on the P&P and spend it elsewhere.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Re: Re: approx. HP from port/polish

TypeS said:

With no cams, high comp. pistons, turbo, supercharger, nitrous, etc. probably no more than 10 hp. If the person doing the porting does a bad job he could also lose 10 hp. Porting Honda heads is a fine art. (snip)
That's why one should never work on their one and only part. Spend the extra cash and get another intake manifold and port that one instead. There'll be minimal down time, and if you don't like it you can always go back to stock. I admit though that you'll be dropping more cash this way than you'd have intended in the first place, but at least you'll have some peace of mind knowing that you won't be screwed if the P&P was done wrong.

·
Registered
486 Posts
just buy the type r head. they are ported perfectly by the engineers at honda. The cost is not much different that headwork either.

G

·
cUl8rV8 said:
The cost is not much different that headwork either.
If you can sell your stock head it might be close to what a P&P costs. Type R heads are not cheap. Even without cams you're looking at almost $1k, and thats for a B18C5 or B16B head. I'd almost guarantee that a K20 Type R head will cost quite a bit more than that. Supply and demand is a bitch.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think I saw the type r head for sale for around $1100. Not bad for oem quality. At least you know someone didn't just hog it out.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: Re: approx. HP from port/polish

TypeS said:

With no cams, high comp. pistons, turbo, supercharger, nitrous, etc. probably no more than 10 hp. If the person doing the porting does a bad job he could also lose 10 hp. Porting Honda heads is a fine art. There isn't much you can take out to help air flow, but if you take too much out you'll make the ports too large and actually cause the airflow to be slower than stock. Usually you need more than just a few bolt-ons to make porting a cost effective modification. I recommend your friend save the money he's spending on the P&P and spend it elsewhere.
yup

also, the engine is new , so it's best to wait until many others have succeed. even if he succeed, it will probably just be around 5-10 hp for so much money to get so little hp..... i'd say mod the car everywhere else first (intake, header, exhaust , cam, piston, ECU, pulley, ignition....) then finally do the NA tune , that's more cost effective.

G

·
Re: Re: Re: approx. HP from port/polish

Nein said:
also, the engine is new , so it's best to wait until many others have succeed. even if he succeed, it will probably just be around 5-10 hp for so much money to get so little hp..... i'd say mod the car everywhere else first (intake, header, exhaust , cam, piston, ECU, pulley, ignition....) then finally do the NA tune , that's more cost effective.
Agreed :thumbsup:

·
Lurker
262 Posts
cUl8rV8 said:
just buy the type r head. they are ported perfectly by the engineers at honda. The cost is not much different that headwork either.
Actually, the new R is not hand P&P like the old one. Also, I believe the DC2R had the same type of P&P as the S2000 does. I've seen it on the S2000 in person, and it's not very extensive: basically, someone glanced in the manifold and searched for any seriously rough edges from the casting process. If any were found, a die grinder was quickly inserted, ground the chunk out, and they moved on. There is more polishing that could be done on a B18C5 and F20C heads than is there from the factory.

Ryan

·
Registered
204 Posts
type r heads

type r heads are a little over 1600.00

·
Registered
204 Posts
Here's the phone number you wanted.

Please Enjoy

R&D motor Sports
Phone: 843-760-4804
T-F 10am-7pm EST
S 10am-4pm EST
:shooting: :firemad:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Type-s

let me know what they tell ya

G

·
Re: Type-s

Blackbastard said:
let me know what they tell ya
Will do. I'll try and give em a call tomorrow, but no guarantee's. Works been real busy lately so it probably won't be until Monday.

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Re: Re: Re: approx. HP from port/polish

Ballistyx said:

That's why one should never work on their one and only part. Spend the extra cash and get another intake manifold and port that one instead. There'll be minimal down time, and if you don't like it you can always go back to stock. I admit though that you'll be dropping more cash this way than you'd have intended in the first place, but at least you'll have some peace of mind knowing that you won't be screwed if the P&P was done wrong.
Or you can just work on you're own and then if you don't like it or screw it up, but another intake mainfolt then.

Same price, just different way of spending it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: approx. HP from port/polish

LeaD_FooT said:

Or you can just work on you're own and then if you don't like it or screw it up, but another intake mainfolt then.

Same price, just different way of spending it.
Except you will probably screw it up, and then you have spent the money, and are back @ square 1. Let a professional do it.

G

·
You will never get that much from a P&P
you will get more torque than horsepower.
I will make your car move air faster, not 30hp though
I gives you much quicker acceleration

·
Registered
204 Posts
What?

You might want to invest in a Vacuumm and suck all that smoke from out your a$$

G

·
Just for curiosity... where can you find the Type R heads? Are they only available from certain dealers?
Any internet locations I can check out?
Also.. might be a dumb question, but is this also the same head they are using on the DC5 in Japan?
Thanks!:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts