Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1786 Posts

·
Running from the Blerch
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And begin! Noticed we needed a new thread.

From the last thread:
NirvanaandTool 477
pandjpudge 425
Spoolin4Door 277
timothybui 228
rantav 203
Inlimbo87 67
zkmfdmz 60
josolanes 28
05Aucrarsx 20
Down_Shift 18
itskien 10
XG624 7
RecaroCostsTooMuch 6
UNC_xL 4
fbmbmx151 4
mallen600 4
GradyBaby16 4
Stoke 2
jaguer8 2
2010 admin 2
Kz-Life 1
Agent Smith 1
VQGT 1

Winnar winnar chicken dinnar :w00t:

Anyone buy their tank any christmas presents?

·
OG Base Crew
4,118 Posts
As the newbie I didn't want to be the one to make the new thread but been looking for it :eek:

Still need to figure out my feeding situation for next months vacation. So far limiting the lighting in my tank has greatly reduced the algae production in the water. Derp move but I'm learning...Would also like to switch over to an LED strip

Trying to save up for some of these pieces for my setup

Plenty available online, but shipping kills ya. Still meaning to check a local exotic aquarium shop here but tight on funds :rain:

·
Cool as Ice Tea
8,098 Posts
New thread, just par-fect lolz

So I noticed some algae on my plants, cutting back on fertz. Dropping it down back to 1ml. Part of my moss is over grown and floats. Need to trim and re-tie that bit down. Guess I'll snap some pics tonight.

·
Running from the Blerch
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like SW dry reef rock. I've used it in my builds but be careful of trapped phosphates. I'm fighting a battle now with them.

Decided I'm combining the 2 tanks after the holidays. The cube is really going downhill algaewise without a skimmer on it. I'll rinse all the sand and rock and combine everything into the 40. Might be pretty full with rock but the wasps wont mind.

·
0 Posts
As the newbie I didn't want to be the one to make the new thread but been looking for it :eek:

Still need to figure out my feeding situation for next months vacation. So far limiting the lighting in my tank has greatly reduced the algae production in the water. Derp move but I'm learning...Would also like to switch over to an LED strip

Trying to save up for some of these pieces for my setup

Plenty available online, but shipping kills ya. Still meaning to check a local exotic aquarium shop here but tight on funds :rain:
Come down to central TX. You can get as much of that holey rock as you want, for free...

·
OG Base Crew
4,118 Posts
Come down to central TX. You can get as much of that holey rock as you want, for free...

:love :love :love

That's it. Plenty of people make a killing off them on ebay. Makes for a nice cichlid setup IMO. The shipping is what kills me

·
0 Posts
I will tell you that the stuff is heavy as hell. Not like reef base. I have one piece that weighs probably 100 lbs. Dragged it 1/4 mile off the contruction site but wanted it that bad...

What they do is bulldoze this stuff into a pile wherever they are grading for new construction, then just haul it away to some landfill. I swoop in there and get it before they do. Otherwise, it just goes to waste.

·
4,613 Posts
I'm going to redo my nano for 2014.

Removing the pink fiji sand I have and reducing the amount of LR I have in the display and probably will smash them into smaller pieces for the refugium. Decided I wanted black live sand

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hawaiian-black-arag-alive-live-reef-sand.html

I like this because it's not so fine versus what I have now.

BTW! Congrats to Ian on being a future daddy!

·
Running from the Blerch
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ian Jr? Little frag on the way? Congrats buddy! :thumbsup:

Tim I think I'm going to redo my sand too. I want something not as fine as well. I cant keep sand on the bottom of my 40 in spots cause it just gets blown around like crazy.

:thumbsup: for 2014 rebuilds and new builds!

·
everyday i'm trolling
353 Posts
Ian Jr? Little frag on the way? Congrats buddy! :thumbsup:

Tim I think I'm going to redo my sand too. I want something not as fine as well. I cant keep sand on the bottom of my 40 in spots cause it just gets blown around like crazy.

:thumbsup: for 2014 rebuilds and new builds!
What type of sand are you using? Not sure if it's the same for SW as for FW, but pool filter sand stays put.

And :thumbsup: for 2014 rebuilds. Might upgrade the 125g lake tang tank to a 210g and add more petros! :run:

·
OG Base Crew
4,118 Posts
Gonna try to pick up a water test kit this weekend, did a water change last night to remove a lot of algae. Was clear right after but this morning it has a smokey color to it.

New to this hobby :( Gonna get a test kit though, been keeping to scheduled water changes thus far. Tank has been up for about 2 weeks now so I'm presuming it is part of the cycling phase? Test will help me confirm this. Have some extra money in the paycheck tomorrow so I'm gonna pick up an autofeeder for next months vacation and POSSIBLY...Some of that Texas rock :datass:

·
everyday i'm trolling
353 Posts
Gonna try to pick up a water test kit this weekend, did a water change last night to remove a lot of algae. Was clear right after but this morning it has a smokey color to it.

New to this hobby :( Gonna get a test kit though, been keeping to scheduled water changes thus far. Tank has been up for about 2 weeks now so I'm presuming it is part of the cycling phase? Test will help me confirm this. Have some extra money in the paycheck tomorrow so I'm gonna pick up an autofeeder for next months vacation and POSSIBLY...Some of that Texas rock :datass:
Are you salt or fresh? Cloudy water is most likely a debris matter, not so much "water quality".

·
OG Base Crew
4,118 Posts
Are you salt or fresh? Cloudy water is most likely a debris matter, not so much "water quality".
Fresh water. Upgraded to a 75 gallon tank a couple weeks ago, transferred some (added a lot more) of the gravel from my old setup and cleaned all my plants and decorations prior (old gravel included). When you say debris, do you mean their food?

·
everyday i'm trolling
353 Posts
Fresh water. Upgraded to a 75 gallon tank a couple weeks ago, transferred some (added a lot more) of the gravel from my old setup and cleaned all my plants and decorations prior (old gravel included). When you say debris, do you mean their food?
Yes, just debris in the water, i.e., food, waste, etc.
Then it's probably your filter(s). Which one(s) do you have? And what do you have in them?

·
OG Base Crew
4,118 Posts
Yes, just debris in the water, i.e., food, waste, etc.
Then it's probably your filter(s). Which one(s) do you have? And what do you have in them?
Two Aquaclear 110's. One was brand new when the tank was setup two weeks ago, the other was used lightly on my 29G and I didn't change the media prior to install in an effort to carry over some of their bacteria. Each have a filter pad, carbon, ammonia layer. I changed the carry over one last weekend.

I could probably use some more bottom feeders, only have 2 cats and 2 loaches, 1 golden nugget pleco. I cut back on feeding. Was just odd that I fed them earlier yesterday, changed the water a few hours later, and it was clear for the night afterwards, then this morning it was cloudy gray.

Rest of the population is 5 parrot fish about 3 inches each and 3 angel fish around the same size.

·
Running from the Blerch
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What type of sand are you using? Not sure if it's the same for SW as for FW, but pool filter sand stays put.

And :thumbsup: for 2014 rebuilds. Might upgrade the 125g lake tang tank to a 210g and add more petros! :run:
Aragonite. I want something that is a larger grain size. Fine sand gets really blown around by the vortech and return pump in my tank and will be blown around even more in my 90 with 2 MP10s in synced flow.
I'm not sure if pool filter sand is ok in SW but aragonite helps buffer the tank. Has a lot of beneficial properties.

·
everyday i'm trolling
353 Posts
Two Aquaclear 110's. One was brand new when the tank was setup two weeks ago, the other was used lightly on my 29G and I didn't change the media prior to install in an effort to carry over some of their bacteria. Each have a filter pad, carbon, ammonia layer. I changed the carry over one last weekend.

I could probably use some more bottom feeders, only have 2 cats and 2 loaches. I cut back on feeding. Was just odd that I fed them earlier yesterday, changed the water a few hours later, and it was clear for the night afterwards, then this morning it was cloudy gray.

Rest of the population is 5 parrot fish about 3 inches each and 3 angel fish around the same size.
You need more mechanical filter media. I would pick up some blue foam filters (for pond usage), and cut to size to fit in your 110s, that's what I use. And add some micro polishing media, usually a LFS will have a giant bag of this stuff, looks like cotton.

Blue foam- http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+4150+25534&pcatid=25534

·
everyday i'm trolling
353 Posts
Aragonite. I want something that is a larger grain size. Fine sand gets really blown around by the vortech and return pump in my tank and will be blown around even more in my 90 with 2 MP10s in synced flow.
I'm not sure if pool filter sand is ok in SW but aragonite helps buffer the tank. Has a lot of beneficial properties.
I use Aragonite in my FW tank! It keeps my pH up high to make the Tang fish happy. I have a base layer of pool filter sand, 4" and the aragonite mix on top with about 2". I mix it up when I clean and do water changes and it never really moves.

1 - 20 of 1786 Posts