Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Very nice man - so is the new one the k24 or that was the old one? Keep up the good work! Future plans?
Old one was a full k24a2 swap; probably wouldnt do it again but for a NA build and if youre in need of cheap motor thats the way to go. Future plans for this would include 3 more phases of which include engine work (maintenance and problem solving), sand and spray my car/Aspec Parts, and finally just some tiny modification BS.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #162 (Edited)
Mid phase update:
Been busy off and on with the project, surprisingly have not ran out of steam. Decided to do a half-ass'ed touch up of the engine bay and block while I have everything out to upgrade a few things as well as clean and fix leaks. With the hobby build focus in mind i used rattle can for the engine and budget solvent paint paired with a 10 dollar gun from the harbor freight.

Start:

Engine: (Rattle Can)

Bay:

Current:

·
I can get that for you
775 Posts
That looks pretty freakin clean for a DYi did you get the paint made ? Or did you go buy the factory color somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
That looks pretty freakin clean for a DYi did you get the paint made ? Or did you go buy the factory color somewhere?

Thank you sir, it came out fairly better than anticipated. Went to sherwin William's automotive; got the solvent based VBP they had for Acura that pairs up with my 10th character on the vin number. Not a dead on match but for the engine bay it was more than close enough. Sprayable pint cost me 26 bucks with the "student" discount and with the cost of the gun and the other misc materials I'm into the project for 45-50 bucks. If you want better or dead on match paint you need to go water based and I would reccomend somewhere that has the PPG Envirobase line of paint which is pretty good value.

·
I can get that for you
775 Posts
I came up on someone’s compressor they left at my shop and went MIA, I’m thinking I’m gonna try my hand at auto body for the first time. I can build a mini booth in my shop and I’m gonna start with the hood , if it goes well I will proceed to roof and trunk. Just to get rid of the dead clear parts. :) been watching some prep videos all week lol

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
I came up on someone’s compressor they left at my shop and went MIA, I’m thinking I’m gonna try my hand at auto body for the first time. I can build a mini booth in my shop and I’m gonna start with the hood , if it goes well I will proceed to roof and trunk. Just to get rid of the dead clear parts. <a href="http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/smile_color.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smilie" ></a> been watching some prep videos all week lol

Go for it man; 600 grit, a sanding block, some patience & you're good to go. Tell you what no matter how many times a spray I always find myself going to fast, worried about runs I guess
¯\_(ツ) _/¯.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Wow, this got even cleaner. I like the color consistency.
What's next for the car? Perhaps a headlight retrofit?
Thank you :bow:
Next step is phase 4 which is the little modifications and touch ups before i get heavy into sanding and prepping the car for paint which wont happen for a long while. Retrofit will probably happen eventually but for now i hardly drive more than 5 miles a day so the need isnt there. Would like to save some car funds for an EPS and some AC at some point but for now windows down and sprained wrists are fine.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
much cleaner, the red didn't go too well with the blue lol the subtle black looks good

Peter! 🙇‍♂️ The red was alright, the type r look is meant for some cars and set ups. This assortment needed the simple black and silver, cassies car can have that jdm ish.

·
I can get that for you
775 Posts
Like the direction your going. The turbo vtec manifold cover threw me off a little but other than that looks good! And fast I’m slowly hating California more and more

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Like the direction your going. The turbo vtec manifold cover threw me off a little but other than that looks good! And fast I’m slowly hating California more and more
I think the manifold cover is severely under-used, makes it more factory look but on the other hand the fiberglass wrap doesnt help either. Cars pretty quick, quicker than I care to drive especially in CA. I'm right there with you, cant wait to finish my business here and get out.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Phase 3:
Fix Issues; Coolant Leak, Idle, deleted cruise control
De-Rust, Clean and Refinish Engine Components
Refinish Plastics
Wiring; Remove audio wiring and install Retrofit harness

Replaced/Modified Parts:
- Tie Rods: EP3
- Coolant Lines: NAPA Weatherhead
- Shift Springs: Hybrid Racing
- Shift Cables: Hybrid Racing
- Valve Cover: USDM Wrinkle Coated
- Battery: OEM Honda

Coatings Used:
- VHT Flameproof Coating (2)
- Duplicolor Engine Enamel Cast Coat Aluminum (1)
- Duplicolor Engine Enamel Low Gloss Black (2)
- SEM Landau Black Quart (1)
- Tech Line Ceramic Coating

Estimated Time Spent ~74 Hours
- Parts Removal: >6 Hour
- Cleanup: 10 Hour
- Block Paint Prep: 4 Hours
- Block Painting: 2 Hours
- Bay Paint Prep: 8 Hours
- Bay Painting: 2 Hours
- Parts Paint Prep: 6 Hours
- Parts Painting: 5 Hours
- Installation: 10 Hours
- Troubleshooting: >6 Hours
- Parts Modification: 15 Hours

Lessons Learned
- Not all aftermarket parts work with aftermarket parts
- The phrase “nothing an cutoff wheel cant fix” was used far too much
- I like to take my sweet time
- The black and aluminum color scheme is way better than any Hype R look
- Learn to only commit to doing one thing, otherwise the project grows
- Fiberglass wrapped exhaust components is total itchy Bulls**t

Progress Pics

·
Always on TDY...
2,149 Posts
Phase 3:
Fix Issues; Coolant Leak, Idle, deleted cruise control
De-Rust, Clean and Refinish Engine Components
Refinish Plastics
Wiring; Remove audio wiring and install Retrofit harness

Replaced/Modified Parts:
- Tie Rods: EP3
- Coolant Lines: NAPA Weatherhead
- Shift Springs: Hybrid Racing
- Shift Cables: Hybrid Racing
- Valve Cover: USDM Wrinkle Coated
- Battery: OEM Honda

Coatings Used:
- VHT Flameproof Coating (2)
- Duplicolor Engine Enamel Cast Coat Aluminum (1)
- Duplicolor Engine Enamel Low Gloss Black (2)
- SEM Landau Black Quart (1)
- Tech Line Ceramic Coating

Estimated Time Spent ~74 Hours
- Parts Removal: >6 Hour
- Cleanup: 10 Hour
- Block Paint Prep: 4 Hours
- Block Painting: 2 Hours
- Bay Paint Prep: 8 Hours
- Bay Painting: 2 Hours
- Parts Paint Prep: 6 Hours
- Parts Painting: 5 Hours
- Installation: 10 Hours
- Troubleshooting: >6 Hours
- Parts Modification: 15 Hours

Lessons Learned
- Not all aftermarket parts work with aftermarket parts
- The phrase “nothing an cutoff wheel cant fix” was used far too much
- I like to take my sweet time
- The black and aluminum color scheme is way better than any Hype R look
- Learn to only commit to doing one thing, otherwise the project grows
- Fiberglass wrapped exhaust components is total itchy Bulls**t

Progress Pics

Last shot says it all! The outcome for all your work speaks in that shot!

161 - 180 of 199 Posts