Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! i am deciding if i should buy a hood made from fiber glass but i am not sure if that's a good material for a hood? or is it even a good material for any type of body kits?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A hood would be okay because it's a lot lighter than steel. Body kits are a definite nono because of how fragile fiberglass is.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I wouldn't recommend any type of fiberglass body kits or hoods because they will shatter and splinter upon impact. :(

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
well the deal with fiberglass is that its usually a lil cheaper (due to easier manufac. tech.) and is reasoably strong. It can be used as a hood because it wont overheat and deform over the heat. Body kits are possible, but urethane is defiately better and more reliable

·
Remember Acura_Gurl?
7,025 Posts
I've never heard of a urethane hood :dontknow:

I'd like a lighter hood too, but I don't want CF cause it doesn't match (silver) and won't last too many winters.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
fiber glass can be very strong (speaking from personal experience) if made well, i hit a few curbs and ditches and nothing happened to my body kit (on my accord). but definately urethane is a better way to go, tho they both have their goods and bads.
urethane is much more durable and flexible, doesnt break
fiberglass can be modified to fit your car
so would u rather have a strong kit that doesnt fit too great and not repairable if it ever breaks. (if thats the case)
or would you rather have a not so strong kit but u can have a perfect fit and can be repaired if damaged? (if thats the case as well)

btw, what u mean cf hood wont last too many winters???
not like its going to freeze and shatter or somethingCF is more durable than urethane, its like the ultimate thing...lol:D

·
Remember Acura_Gurl?
7,025 Posts
I'm having a fiberglass Type R lip installed next week. If it holds up well, I'm going to consider a hood.
:wavey:

·
dude..wheres my car
16,177 Posts
heh...he said madre...madre in spanish means mom...heh...you all just got schooled...or shall i say...ESCUELA...haha

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
Hand laid fiberglass is very strong and durable. Don't listen to all the crap peeps say about fiberglass, they oviously have no experience. What do you think all of the good kits are made out of like the Ings, Rando, Buddy Club, C-west, etc? All the expensive kits from Japan? Yup, you guessed correctly, FIBERGLASS, not poly urethane.

Please don't spread mis-information about fiberglass unless you know what you are talking about. If you do a search, you will find a post started by an employee by Kaminari, in which he explains the differences between the two, and talks about the good/bad of both, fiberglass and poly. Even even says that he prefers fiberglass over poly for a full bumper replacement!!!

·
Remember Acura_Gurl?
7,025 Posts
rsXploited said:
Damn why don't you do a search! This topic has been beaten to death.
I did. If you notice, this thread is from 2001.

Thanks for the info (again) Faint... I'll search for that thread.

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
haha........I didn't realize this thread was so old. The thread I mentioned should only be a few pages back at most since I bumped it up a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
358 Posts
well sure go for it....i have a freind with a 2002 civic with a fiberglass b-kit and it looks more shiny and its lighter also so so if u want to go for performance ya Go with the fiberglass...........

·
Registered
187 Posts
VEILSIDE ONLY COMES IN FIBERGLASS SO SHOULDNT I JUST GET THE REPLICA IF IT COMES IN FIBERGLASS ANYWAY.

·
Premium Member
35,049 Posts
DBluACWha said:
VEILSIDE ONLY COMES IN FIBERGLASS SO SHOULDNT I JUST GET THE REPLICA IF IT COMES IN FIBERGLASS ANYWAY.
Replica's are generally a bad idea, for fitment and sometimes quality purposes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts