Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Are shims needed to install a Quaife LSD?

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Aft3rburn 
#1 ·
I was all set to have the dealer install my Quaife LSD, but then they weren't sure if they could do it, because they didn't know if they would need shims or anything else. They asked if there was instructions for the install, and what else would be needed.

The Quaife website says that nothing other than the tools required to install a normal diff are required, but then it says that shims might be needed.

I know that other people have gotten the dealer to do the install, so they should be capable of this.

I haven't been able to find any information on what shims might be needed, or if there are any instructions. They've never done a LSD/ITR FD/TSX 6th swap in an RSX-S before. It will be cheapest for the dealer to do the work, since they'll have my transmission out and open under warranty. I'm just not sure if shims are needed, and if so which ones.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

#2 ·
Artcfox said:
I was all set to have the dealer install my Quiafe LSD, but then they weren't sure if they could do it, because they didn't know if they would need shims or anything else. They asked if there was instructions for the install, and what else would be needed.

The Quaife website says that nothing other than the tools required to install a normal diff are required, but then it says that shims might be needed.

I know that other people have gotten the dealer to do the install, so they should be capable of this.

I haven't been able to find any information on what shims might be needed, or if there are any instructions. They've never done a LSD/ITR FD/TSX 6th swap in an RSX-S before. It will be cheapest for the dealer to do the work, since they'll have my transmission out and open under warranty. I'm just not sure if shims are needed, and if so which ones.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
Shims are replaced when clearances are out of specification. You won't know if you need to change the shim on the differential to a different size until you have installed the new differential with the existing shim and carrier bearings in the transmission case and check clearances. After that is done, you subtract the size of the current shim from the clearance difference you measure to determine if you need a new one or not, and what size to use.

If you're doing an FD install as well, then there are two shims you need to worry about.

#5 ·
Artcfox said:
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Would this be something that the dealer would have in stock, and know how to install? I would hope so...
Most dealers that do this type of work have at least one full set of shims on hand. As far as knowing how to do the work, that's really dependent on the technician they assign. Be very weary is all I can say.

#7 ·
Sounds like the service advisor you are speaking to is not aware of this type of work. Ask to speak to the transmission tech and I am sure he will not have any problems. You will likely need shims, but like said above the dealer will have these. This install is no different than installing a stock differential, proper clearances need to be verified.

#8 ·
I haven't spoken with the transmission tech yet, only the general service manager.

He is supposed to get back to me once he talks to the person who would know more about it, but he hasn't yet.

I just wanted to be prepared with some info when I finally do get to talk with the transmission tech. Thanks guys! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.