obama '08
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone know?

:spin:

·
RED DRAGONS!!!
11,903 Posts
They are illegal if they are on while the vehicle is in motion. They can only be on when the car is parked. At least thats the law here, its probably like that everywhere.

·
Banned
7,563 Posts
yup thats the law everywhere.....

·
...it's too big
23,750 Posts
actually... i had a buddy who got introuble for having them on PARKED, he was near a busy roadway and the cop said it was way to distacting (his blinked, and had patterns to it and all kinda crazy funk)

oh and is it true neons are legal in FL? someone told me that but im guessin they were BSin

·
What are you made of...
22,074 Posts
I "THINK" its illegal IF you can see the tubes/neon... correct me if I am wrong...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I live in Florida and I've always thought that they were illegal to be on when you're driving on the street, although I've seen several people with neons on while driving. But several people murder and steal and that's against the law, too, so that is obviously not an indication.

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
They are illegal if you are in motion, even if you can't see the neon bars themselves. If you are parked somewhere, they can be on, just so they aren't producing any sort of moving light (blinking, flashing, causing a distraction, etc.).

In the end though, cops can be dicks though. Thus, even if you are parked somewhere with them on, they will label you a streetracer and find something wrong with your car just so they will be able to write you a ticket.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, any color other than white or amber is supposedly illegal on a car... Now, you can have white light under a car and it still be in motion as long as it isn't pulsing or whatever. I'm not sure about the amber, but if some jackass cop tries to give you a ticket over white glow, you can take it to the state to have it pulled...

This guy in town got a ticket for having green glow while moving. You couldn't see his tubes or anything. The cop was just looking for a reason to ruin a kid's fun in town. But anyway, he took it to the state and got it pulled. Needless to say, one of my state trooper buddies told that cop what was on his mind, and, well, it wasn't pretty. I was laughing my ass off, though. That's just the way it is in Memphis...iono about anywhere else.

·
obama '08
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well considering I usually throw them on if I am racing someone at night, having a blue glow from underneath my car would be the least of my worries if a cop catches up with me going 115 mph!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
The only thing you really want on when you're racing is your headlights, but I see what you're gettin at ;) Your spark plugs need as much spark as possible. I bet the cops never thought about that when they put all that radar and computer shit in their cars ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
well anything in PA cops are gonna be dicks about, i had a friend in Elizabethtown, that got pulled over for an exhaust, saying it was noise pollution.... plus i know at least 5 people who had to take their tailights or tint off their cars... so fuck PA cops!

·
obama '08
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow ramdaspadhye - i never really thought about it that way. I have the neons routed to my side marker lights (so that if I have the interior switch ON, the neons will glow along with the markers flash when I hit lock/unlock on the key fab) and I was worried about leaving the switch in the ON position while the car is not running, but the amount of power the neons pull is so minimal that it really makes no difference. Do you think they would really effect the amount of "spark" to the plugs during a race? Cool thought.....that would never have occured to me.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, every little bit helps. I odn't have any real numbers or anything, but I suppose on a stock ignition system, every little bit helps. Just me, though. :D

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ramdaspadhye said:
Well, any color other than white or amber is supposedly illegal on a car... Now, you can have white light under a car and it still be in motion as long as it isn't pulsing or whatever.
:iamwiths::iamwiths:

That's what a cop told me when I asked him.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't think they are illegal in GA.

·
is Ultradian Bipolar
307 Posts
blah

i did alot of research on this cuz i have a new way to use neons(still working on the practicallity though). state law says that you cannot have any lamps on your car that didnt come from the factory.the argument was that this is a tube of excited gas but it didnt float. if it didnt come from the factory, its illegal. i had the actuall law number printed out cuz i was talking to my state rep, but threw it out a while ago. couldnt get around it. i live by the poconos and i have noticed that the cops will tolerate it as long as your not in motion, but if you have a fuzz thats having a bad day he could ticket you.:dontknow: i may not do the whole underkit but maybe 1 under the airdam.

·
obama '08
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
conclusion:

neons on and your car moving = bad (but only if cop sees you)
neons on and your car parked = depends on cop's day
neons on in your garage = ok :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts