Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
former g1teg owner
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i finally cleaned my new car for the first time. i used a wool wash mitt, mother's california car wash (i didn't want to strip the pretty fresh wax from dealership), two buckets, and a microfibre drying towel, following instructions i've gotten from this site, and from Mothers site.

today, i parked it out in the sun and noticed something pretty disturbing... in some spots, i could see hazy, swirl like things, but it does not look like it is on the surface... it looks like its deep in the finish... it almost looks like a hologram or something... depending on the angle you can see it... but they don't look like scratches... just more like smudges....

anyone know what this is? is this the "swirls" that i hear you guys talk about?

i'm pissed and frustrated - i mean the car is brand new dammit! what did i do wrong? :firemad: :confused:

p.s. the car is eternal pearl blue

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think what your talking about might be the pearl. I have a pearl white and i guess it could be seen as hazy but if you only see it in direct sunlight then dont tripp . I think its tha bomb yo. Just keep it clean , covered , and waxed. :thumbsup:

·
former g1teg owner
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, it definitely is not the pearl because it takes on specific shapes, like swirly, which leads me to believe it was caused by my wash mitt... i dunno...

·
Yeah ok
343 Posts
all i can say is welcome to the world of honda/acura paint....its crap. all i have been able to do is buff it out once in a while, but it just reappears. hell i was even at the dealer the other day and the had a red 04 a-spec and it was covered with swirls and have less than 20 miles on it....only color i would buy from acura again in the pearl white...but i happened to buy the nighthawk black...

·
Registered
226 Posts
You know if your car sat on the lot for anything over a week then the dealerships had to have had it washed and they dont hire the highest caliper people. Saw a local homeless guy washing cars at a local dealer ( which i didnt buy mine from) Dude looked like that crackhead on chappelles show. Anyway wax it. It should help.

Or better yet go get a teflon coating . Runs bout 300.00 at the local place here but it is tha bomb. Gives the paint real depth. Its also good for like 6yrs.

·
R.I.P. EVO IX SE
1,435 Posts
nixonrsx said:
all i can say is welcome to the world of honda/acura paint....its crap. all i have been able to do is buff it out once in a while, but it just reappears. hell i was even at the dealer the other day and the had a red 04 a-spec and it was covered with swirls and have less than 20 miles on it....only color i would buy from acura again in the pearl white...but i happened to buy the nighthawk black...
i don't think it really has anything to do with acura paint. but more on the people who is "taking care of it"

for example you can have a "porsche" paintjob with a guy using a dirty towel and wipe that thing down. unless the porsche paint is magic, that paint is gonna be swirled up.

as for the thread starter, those swirls are caused by your wool wash mitt. i suggest buying a sheepskin washmitt, and after you finish washing your car. give the mitt a good rinse.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
RS_SS350 said:
ok, so i finally cleaned my new car for the first time. i used a wool wash mitt, mother's california car wash (i didn't want to strip the pretty fresh wax from dealership), two buckets, and a microfibre drying towel, following instructions i've gotten from this site, and from Mothers site.

today, i parked it out in the sun and noticed something pretty disturbing... in some spots, i could see hazy, swirl like things, but it does not look like it is on the surface... it looks like its deep in the finish... it almost looks like a hologram or something... depending on the angle you can see it... but they don't look like scratches... just more like smudges....

anyone know what this is? is this the "swirls" that i hear you guys talk about?

i'm pissed and frustrated - i mean the car is brand new dammit! what did i do wrong? :firemad: :confused:

p.s. the car is eternal pearl blue

wool mitts scratch the clear coat. through that shit away and get a sponge. second if you washed the car in direct sun light thats half the problem. the sun softens the clear coat and causes major swirls. always wash in the shade with a sponge and you will never have a problem.

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
FURIOUS T said:
You know if your car sat on the lot for anything over a week then the dealerships had to have had it washed and they dont hire the highest caliper people.
:iamwiths: except it's caliber, not caliper...calipers are the things located behind your wheels. :thumbsup:

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
ADAMRSX said:
wool mitts scratch the clear coat. through that shit away and get a sponge. second if you washed the car in direct sun light thats half the problem. the sun softens the clear coat and causes major swirls. always wash in the shade with a sponge and you will never have a problem.
Actually, I'd throw the sponge away and keep the wool or sheepskin mit. Wash the car down thoroughly to make the surface wet. Also make sure to keep the mit saturated with water/soap and rinse mit after every swipe. You can also try the two bucket method.

When you are done, thoroughly rinse the car down and then thoroughly dry it. You may have had a ton of swirl marks when you bought the car, just didn't notice it - like me.

Also, I don't know about the sun softening the clear coat. Once clear coat hardens, it's set. I could be wrong but I doubt it. The reason you usually shouldn't wash in the sun is because the solution will dry too quickly, and applying cold water onto a hot surface can damage the paint...which is why washing in the shade is recommended.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
"Actually, I'd throw the sponge away and keep the wool or sheepskin mit. Wash the car down thoroughly to make the surface wet"

A sponge does not clean as well as wool and you do have to work harder, but it will not scratch the paint. I assure you wool scratches clear.

·
Registered
637 Posts
ADAMRSX said:
"Actually, I'd throw the sponge away and keep the wool or sheepskin mit. Wash the car down thoroughly to make the surface wet"

A sponge does not clean as well as wool and you do have to work harder, but it will not scratch the paint. I assure you wool scratches clear.
It's not the sponge that scratches. It is the fact that with a sponge there is nowhere for the debris to go, except INTO the paint causing marring. With a mitt(sheepskin) the fibers in the mitt draw the debris INTO the mitt and away from the paint.

The safest thing IMO to wash your paint with is a high lubricity shampoo of your choice, a dedicated "paint only" sheepskin mitt, and two buckets.

For drying, IMO the safest thing is a waffle weave MF towel such as big blue.

A sponge=marring/swirls.

·
Registered
226 Posts
EternalBlue said:
:iamwiths: except it's caliber, not caliper...calipers are the things located behind your wheels. :thumbsup:

Thanks teach, didnt know we had ourselves a english major. :finger:

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
FURIOUS T said:
Yeah, real funny guy. :rolleyes:

·
R.I.P. EVO IX SE
1,435 Posts
FURIOUS T said:
dang the guy nicely corrected a typing mistake and that's how you reply? :eek:

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
aonsoKuDC5 said:
dang the guy nicely corrected a typing mistake and that's how you reply? :eek:
Funny thing is that I was actually agreeing with what he said...I guess he missed that part. :dontknow: For reference, I'm a she, not a he. ;) :wavey:

·
Immortal Ueshiba Morihei
2,961 Posts
Ladies should always be treated with respect, (even wether theyre nice or not) so be nice if you want to be treated the same.

And fyi again, not "a english major", but "an English major" smart ass... freakin newbie and you act like a jackass.

Anyway, I use a microfiber towel instead of the mitts or sponge, feel safer with it. But I use to use sheepskin rather than wool. And they're right, always rinse off the mitts thoroughly after use.

·
Registered
226 Posts
munlit said:
Ladies should always be treated with respect, (even wether theyre nice or not) so be nice if you want to be treated the same.

And fyi again, not "a english major", but "an English major" smart ass... freakin newbie and you act like a jackass.

Anyway, I use a microfiber towel instead of the mitts or sponge, feel safer with it. But I use to use sheepskin rather than wool. And they're right, always rinse off the mitts thoroughly after use.

WOW YOU CORRECTED MY CAPITALIZATION YOU FREAKIN MENSA. LEARN HOW TO WRITE even wether theyre nice or not. NICE AVATAR BY THE WAY. HOW OLD ARE YOU? :jigglemad

·
Registered
226 Posts
EternalBlue said:
Funny thing is that I was actually agreeing with what he said...I guess he missed that part. :dontknow: For reference, I'm a she, not a he. ;) :wavey:

I was trying to be funny btw. Some people just can't take a joke. :laughing:

·
Immortal Ueshiba Morihei
2,961 Posts
FURIOUS T said:
WOW YOU CORRECTED MY CAPITALIZATION YOU FREAKIN MENSA. LEARN HOW TO WRITE even wether theyre nice or not. NICE AVATAR BY THE WAY. HOW OLD ARE YOU? :jigglemad

???? CANT HEAR YOU!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.