Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

After a couple years driving a family members car Ive finally decided to get my own.

As luck would have it, one of my friends had been driving her fathers RSX prior to her moving out of the country. As such, I am seriously considering purchasing it from him.

Though it isnt my dream car, I like the small size and the handling was most certainly anything but disappointing. I also like that that its rather understated compared to some other things which handle this well.

Its only the base model but that isnt much of a problem for me, I prefer the more subtle styling of the base model over type S and the slight difference in fuel milage is beneficial as I do a fair bit of commuting.

Im hoping someone on here can awnser a few questions for me.
1) I know the car Im looking to buy is in need of front struts(my friend didn't really like slowing down for speedbumps :face: ........asides from that, are these cars prone to any other issues I should lookout for? Ive seen that there were some issues with the manual tranny but this ones an auto(which is a benefit considering I commute)

2) What milage is reasonable for these cars? I believe the car Im looking at is around 230,000KM(143,000 miles). In case this doesn't work out, Ive been looking online and seen ones that range from 200-400+ thousand KMs. (Excuse my ignorance on this, the car I have been driving is known for going 300,000 Miles without too much maintenance)

3) Are any performance parts from the Type-S easily swapped onto the base? As luck would have it, my work as a couple "wrecks" out back that I would likely be abel to obtain parts off of. ( at least be pulling the leather seats from a premium model)
I have gotten a GREAT insurance quote, so thats a plus.

Thanks to all who take the time to reply!

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
Welcome. Good choice, of course :thumbsup:

1) Motor mounts and various suspension bushings are usually the most ignored components.

2) Idk about autos, but man these motors run forever, although not without some maintenance. I know for Type S'es the valve lash adjustment should be done at 130000mi. Some people eventually change out the timing chain tensioner and even the timing chain itself, but I wouldn't bother for a stock or lightly modded car :dontknow:. What car do you have that has 3000000mi on it?! :eek: Sounds like Honda territory :thumbsup:

3) Type S shock/struts I think are compatible but not brakes. I think the sway bars are too. Type S full exhaust is compatible but not only half (if you swap the exhaust manifold/cat, you have to pair it with the catback as well, or vice versa). If you get a tune you can swap the intake manifold for a Type S (PRB) or Type R (PRC) or Civic Si (RBC), but you will lose your dual intake runners and thus probably lose your low end torque and mpg's. But if you ever do the A2 cam and VTEC pin swap mod, you'll probably want one of these intake manifolds.

HTH

·
Knight Armament SR-635
36,650 Posts
Hey all,

After a couple years driving a family members car Ive finally decided to get my own.

As luck would have it, one of my friends had been driving her fathers RSX prior to her moving out of the country. As such, I am seriously considering purchasing it from him.

Though it isnt my dream car, I like the small size and the handling was most certainly anything but disappointing. I also like that that its rather understated compared to some other things which handle this well.

Its only the base model but that isnt much of a problem for me, I prefer the more subtle styling of the base model over type S and the slight difference in fuel milage is beneficial as I do a fair bit of commuting.

Im hoping someone on here can awnser a few questions for me.
1) I know the car Im looking to buy is in need of front struts(my friend didn't really like slowing down for speedbumps :face: ........asides from that, are these cars prone to any other issues I should lookout for? Ive seen that there were some issues with the manual tranny but this ones an auto(which is a benefit considering I commute)

2) What milage is reasonable for these cars? I believe the car Im looking at is around 230,000KM(143,000 miles). In case this doesn't work out, Ive been looking online and seen ones that range from 200-400+ thousand KMs. (Excuse my ignorance on this, the car I have been driving is known for going 300,000 Miles without too much maintenance)

3) Are any performance parts from the Type-S easily swapped onto the base? As luck would have it, my work as a couple "wrecks" out back that I would likely be abel to obtain parts off of. ( at least be pulling the leather seats from a premium model)
I have gotten a GREAT insurance quote, so thats a plus.

Thanks to all who take the time to reply!
Welcome to the from :wavey: the only thing I can add to this thread that hasn't been mention is the trunk actuator. they are know to go bad. You eventually will have to replace it, but the day it starts going bad, you just need to punch the side of the truck next to the A like fonzie and it should open

·
Vietnamese Singer
28,049 Posts
Welcome to the forum. These cars will last a while if taken care of properly. Any other issues? Transmissions can be hit or miss. Tail light gaskets will go bad eventually so you'll have water pooling in the hatch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well! after a couple weeks searching Ive found a 2002 RSX premium which I plan on buying.

Its got 110,000ish miles. Mechanically it seems in good shape. The body is a bit rough(minor rust in places) but I've done some body work before so Im not too concerned. Surprisingly the underside is fairly rust free(far better then my current 2008 car).

As far as I can tell its been well looked after, its being sold because the back seats aren't large enough for their growing children(not much of a surprise!).

During the test drive it seemed a bit slow(compared to when i drove my friends), but I'm guessing thats just me(my shop specializes in high performance import cars so I've been driving this with 500+HP for the past bunch of weeks).

Whats the reliability like on the rear suspension? I like that its double wishbone and not multilink, that alone seems like it will be more durable. But my current ride is torsion bar and pretty much indestructible.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
I've seen that on Wikipedia too about it having a rear double-wishbone suspension... I'm not a suspension guru, but Idk if I'd call our rear suspension double-wishbone. It has a lower trailing arm and an upper arm that merely pivots on its own bushing (can you say binding?):
https://youtu.be/X2o3LqqBJTY

Congrats by the way! Stock/unadulterated is pretty uncommon nowadays, and low on rust. It will seem slow until you do at least an intake reflash! :thumbsup:

·
Cone Killer
517 Posts
RSXs have a trailing arm type suspension on the rear.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts

·
dude I mean like
83 Posts
Mine has about 235k miles and still runs pretty good. Just got back from a 600 mile road trip. Not sure on the auto transmissions but my 6 speed is still feeling good. And as stated above taillight gaskets will probably go bad. There's also a pretty large aftermarket for the base model as well so if you plan on modding it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RSXs have a trailing arm type suspension on the rear.
Good to know. Id been under one briefly and didn't think it was double wishbone but who knows.

I picked up the car today, it seems pretty good, theres a rip in the drivers seat but I'm hoping to get ones from a wreck.

The only real issue is the wind noise! its so damn loud in there, I suspect the hatch doesn't seal right and the seal on the sunroof is obviously off. But nothing too major.

Overall, I'm pretty excited. I was looking for a car that needed some work....but not so much that Id be overwhelmed and this seems perfect in that regard.

Fuel milage will perhaps be a concern, but it doesn't seem too bad on gas

·
dude I mean like
83 Posts
Good to know. Id been under one briefly and didn't think it was double wishbone but who knows.

I picked up the car today, it seems pretty good, theres a rip in the drivers seat but I'm hoping to get ones from a wreck.

The only real issue is the wind noise! its so damn loud in there, I suspect the hatch doesn't seal right and the seal on the sunroof is obviously off. But nothing too major.

Overall, I'm pretty excited. I was looking for a car that needed some work....but not so much that Id be overwhelmed and this seems perfect in that regard.

Fuel milage will perhaps be a concern, but it doesn't seem too bad on gas
Mine got about 34 mpg on the interstate. City mpg is about 25

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
A lot of wind noise can come from the top back corner of the driver's side window. I actually flex bent my door/window frame in some with the window down to fix it. If your car has ever been unlocked by a cop with a balloon door pryer thingy, then it might be bent outward like mine was and cause noise on the highway

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could be aftermarket motor mounts, or a hole in the exhaust or bad gasket, or it could actually need the valve lash adjustment maintenance done
Im gonna go with bad gasket. Which is good to know ahead of time, I still have to get it emissions tested. The previous owner had it done last last year and had cat replaced, Id hope they would have noticed a hole developing.

Id also wonder if it has way to thin an oil in it........

·
04 NHBP-S
699 Posts
Im gonna go with bad gasket. Which is good to know ahead of time, I still have to get it emissions tested. The previous owner had it done last last year and had cat replaced, Id hope they would have noticed a hole developing.

Id also wonder if it has way to thin an oil in it........
I've heard of some people running 0w20. Suggested is 5w30.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.