Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
6,981 Posts
2200 - VTEC
4700 - second intake runner opening up

Relative to other Honda's, the K20A3 is a torquey motor down low. However, if you check out a dyno graph, there are no sudden, significant jumps in power.

·
Registered
159 Posts
hmmm i dont really notice anything at 2200rpm. i only feel car accelerating faster when the 2nd intake runner opens up. so wait. wth does the vtec do for autos?

·
Banned
2,698 Posts
sithlord said:
hmmm i dont really notice anything at 2200rpm. i only feel car accelerating faster when the 2nd intake runner opens up. so wait. wth does the vtec do for autos?
Well, in an auto, when you punch it, you reach 3000rpms almost instantly, thanks to the torque converter. vtec does the same thing in the auto as it does in the 5 speed.

·
Banned
2,698 Posts
monkymojo said:
huh? please explain :dontknow:
He has an Apexi V-AFC II which allows him to set when Vtec kicks in. Personally, I think setting it higher would only make you lose power in the base... :dontknow:

·
Relish then catch up
1,884 Posts
zach12985 said:
really? i thought it was like 3500, thats where i feel the biggest jump in power
I agree. I dont feel a thing at 2200. I've always wondered about this. I feel the jump in power at 3400/3500 always.

·
(•_•) ( l :) (.-.) (: l )
12,876 Posts
:( i wish i could notice more but i don't...but i can just drive my friend's type-s and feel it if i get sad :)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
that's because, as tehy say on teh hondata website, before 2200 rpms, it's essentially a 12-valve engine, while after 2200, it's a 16v engine. this allows for better emissions.

·
Long Member
5,429 Posts
This thread = stupidest newbie question that's been asked 100 times and overkilled in MANY other threads.

Do a search.

·
Registered
244 Posts
it is not a 12 valve then 16 valve. it is just that below 2200 rpm you are running on one primary cam lobe (operating one intake valve)and a smaller secondary lobe (operating the second intake valve for the same cylinder). at 2200 it switches both lobes to the same size as the primary.

·
Relish then catch up
1,884 Posts
john smith said:
it is not a 12 valve then 16 valve. it is just that below 2200 rpm you are running on one primary cam lobe (operating one intake valve)and a smaller secondary lobe (operating the second intake valve for the same cylinder). at 2200 it switches both lobes to the same size as the primary.

uhhh...http://www.hondata.com, buddy

1 - 20 of 48 Posts