Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
N/A to go please...
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hondata/Doug,

Sorry to ask you like this, but you don't accept PMs or emails thru your profile. :)

Can you email me at [email protected] when you get a sec? I have a bit of an oddball question for you. Thanks!

Peace

WhiZ

·
N/A to go please...
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmmmm... cause it's a bit of a legal issue, and I didn't think a public forum would be the best place for such a discussion.

No, I'm not suing them! It's more to do with the licensing and availability of the K-Pro software. I'll leave it to Doug if he wants to contact me.

Peace

WhiZ

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
wdsonny said:
Are you trying to port the software over to a Mac platform? Or a PocketPC type of thing.
If someone ports this to PocketPC, I will love them forever.

Hell, if Doug will give me access to the source code, I'll port it myself free of charge!

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Glimpse said:
If someone ports this to PocketPC, I will love them forever.

Hell, if Doug will give me access to the source code, I'll port it myself free of charge!
Hmmm.... K-Pro would look nice on a 640x480 Windows Mobile Second Edition device. CE.Net uses a pretty thorough subset of Windows APIs, so chances are that the code could be ported fairly easily. Two problems though. First, the PPC would need a USB host controller and almost none have that. I think the old NEC P300 was the last one I saw that had one. Second, unless porting is indeed trivial matter of a few hours' work (which I don't believe it is), it'd be hard to cost-justify it, especially since operating the whole K-Pro interface even on a VGA display would be difficult. Datalogging on a PPC, now that'd be terrific, but once again you'd need a USB host port (and not just a USB connector). If anything, I think Hondata would consider doing a Palm-based datalogger IF the USB interface issue can be solved.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Indeed; a CompactFlash to USB converter of some sort would be necessary, and I have as of yet been unable to locate one.

Edit: YAAAAAAY!!!!!

http://www.twin-paradox.com/SEPDA.html

It's doable. Porting to CE.NET should be rather trivial.

·
Registered
425 Posts
based on earlier analyses of the datalogging prowess of difffrent laptops and the conclusion that the processor power saving feature was crucial to this i'd be surprised if any pda could cope?

i guess data is data and pda's are getting more powerful everyday, i myself have an XDA running microsoft pocket pc but i just cant see it running the kpro?

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Intel StrongArm should be plenty to log at least. You could just run the PDA off of your 12V accessory plug and disable the power saving features.

I've gone wardriving for hours with my PDA on the accessory plug and never had any issues; I wouldn't think grabbing data off of USB would be any worse.

But I guess this is all up to Hondata.... Still, I'd offer my skills to port it for them.

·
Vendor
935 Posts
Code porting etc

Access to the source code requires that we kill you before you can look at it, so it's probably not in your best interest to ask. There are many things you are not aware of with the software, and porting the code is nowhere near trivial. First you'd have to make sure you have USB host support in your target device and then you'll need to find a USB driver for the interface chip (which currently only exists for Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP). From there a direct port of the code is not possible so you'd have to write something from protocol upwards. If you have questions about porting code & licensing then it is best you talk to me

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey so does anyone know if I can run the K-pro software on a Mac? Is there anyone who is doing so? I'm pretty sure that mac's can run most pc software so I would think it would work...can anyone validate this?

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Hondata said:
Access to the source code requires that we kill you before you can look at it, so it's probably not in your best interest to ask.
Heheheh... Oh my. That'd be SO against Richard Stallman's principles. :) But then again, Richard doesn't tune Hondas for a living.

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
jcoukos said:
Hey so does anyone know if I can run the K-pro software on a Mac? Is there anyone who is doing so? I'm pretty sure that mac's can run most pc software so I would think it would work...can anyone validate this?
I swear it seems there are more people asking this question than there are Mac users in the whole world. The answer is that K-Pro Manager software does not run on a Mac and never will. The only possibility is that it might run under Virtual PC, which emulates Windows on a Mac. However, no one has tested that setup in the field yet. I might do so next week. If I do I will post the results.

·
N/A to go please...
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Y'know, considering 5% of the PC world uses Macs, there are a lot of guys on here making this request!! :)

Peace

WhiZ

PS Doug has emailed me, so this thread can be locked/deleted now. Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I have a really nice new powerbook laptop that I got recently for Graphic design for school. I would be pretty pissed :firemad: if I couldn't use my laptop for this. I just ordered virtual pc for mac, and im gonna pray that it will work. I really don't see why it wouldn't after reading up on virtual pc's features, but I guess I will have to see when it gets here..... Anyway, what is with the animosity towards the Mac?

·
N/A to go please...
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Eh? Where are you getting animosity towards the Mac on this thread??

All that's been said is that it hasn't been tested yet. Hondata has no plans to make a Mac version of the K-Pro software.

If you'd like to be the first to test this with VirtualPC, believe me, I'm sure everybody here would be grateful if you did. And if it worked, I think everybody (Mac and PC users alike) would be very happy, as it would give Mac users an option besides buying a whole new notebook!

Peace

WhiZ

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
jcoukos said:
Well I have a really nice new powerbook laptop that I got recently for Graphic design for school. I would be pretty pissed :firemad: if I couldn't use my laptop for this. I just ordered virtual pc for mac, and im gonna pray that it will work. I really don't see why it wouldn't after reading up on virtual pc's features, but I guess I will have to see when it gets here..... Anyway, what is with the animosity towards the Mac?
No animosity at all. I use a G4 all day long for my work. I wouldn't use anything else for my graphics work. But I realize that Apple has perhaps a 3% marketshare, if that, and even that little slice is split between System 9.xx and OS X. So it's simply unrealistic to expect that every piece of software runs on a Mac. If you get upset every time some software won't run on a Mac, you're in for a rough haul. I think the other reason why people here at times roll their eyes when the question is asked is because both the Hondata site and the FAQ here state that it's Windows software. Finally, compared to an RSX, computers are cheap. Most people don't blink an eye at paying many hundreds for an exhaust or an intake, let alone some of the more expensive mods, so a few hundred for an industry standard notebook to work with the K-Pro doesn't seem so terrible.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.