Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Not So New Member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on tackling my own retrofit in a few months and after pondering a while I had an idea. I know the standard retrofit is to retro in OEM D2S projectors and bulbs. While the projectors and shroud look incredibly hot, I have always loved the look of the OEM blacked out halogen housings. My question is, does anyone know of any OEM D2R HID reflector bowls that would fit our housings? My theory is that if I can find one that fits, I can have OEM looks, but that nice, non glaring cutoff.

Thanks in advance.

·
06 NBP Type-S
315 Posts
I was considering this too but it's a lot of work for less output. You wont get the same HID flicker and color either.. I was lookin at IS300 reflectors as well as G35 reflectors..

·
EH EH EH EH EH EH EH EH
8,170 Posts
rly44 said:
I was considering this too but it's a lot of work for less output. You wont get the same HID flicker and color either.. I was lookin at IS300 reflectors as well as G35 reflectors..
yup.. too much work. might just go straight to projectors instead of reflectors.

i would only consider it if i am getting these reflectors for free. otherwise go with projector retrofit. you'd be surprised how easily TSX projectors can be retrofitted into our headlights.

·
Not So New Member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rsx-s driver said:
i'll sell you my jdm hids, minus hid kit hahah

but they have the d2r reflectors
Thanks, but what I was really inquiring about was LHD D2R reflectors.

·
GB going all the way!
1,869 Posts
never seen an RSX with retrofitted reflectors keeping the LHD cutoff but it would be cool if it could be done cleanly. Trouble is a lot of OEM HID headlights are using projectors so your choices of reflectors are limited. I can think of the IS300, older TL, Altima and older Maxima off the top of my head.

i agree it would probably be costly though.

·
Not So New Member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'd be surprised how many cars out there actually DO use the reflectors instead of projectors. I've been looking at different cars with OEM HID during the course of my days and I've notice that actually the majority of HID setups seem to use the reflectors. Any GM car that's equipt with HID uses reflectors (except the new corvette of course) and some of the earlier moder Infinitis (I30/I35/etc.) do too. I was mainly thinking that if I could find a reflector bowl that fits our housings, it would look incredibly sweet. I would look completely stock until I turned my lights on.

I agree with everyone, though, in the fact that it would

1. be pretty pricy (unless I could find some cheap used lights)

and

2.probably be more of a pain in the ass than the end result would be worth.

But, like I said, I was just pondering the thought. Thanks for the replies.

·
Engineering confusion
101 Posts
check out hidplanet.com and see if they have any writeups there. I struggled with the reflector/projector aspect for months before I managed to get a deal on some Audi A6 projectors. Good luck and keep us informed!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
anyone think about modifying the bulb holders to fit in d2r bulbs? since they have the covering preventling the light to reflect upwards, it might cut down some of the glare in stock projectors. Just a idea.

·
06 NBP Type-S
315 Posts
Clips are fine for holding the bulbs in.

Stanley Projectors > German projectors :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts