Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
spicy
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently working with Matt regarding this issue....

eric_r_ho's driverside...

my passenger's side...

Possible explanation is too much of a drop, however mine and eric's is pretty conservative, 1 finger gap all around. I will have pictures of coredump's car pretty soon.

I would appreciate it for all stoptech owners who are lowered to post pictures of your lower ball joint and rotor face..

I have quite a few more pics of the damage, but these are what I decided to go with for now..

Official response from stoptech:
Jon-

The contact between the suspension and the rotor is a result of the suspension modifications, either the car being lowered too far or the lower ride height not being compensated for with a stiffer set of components (springs, roll bars) to lessen body roll. Our kit is designed for a vehicle at stock ride height and we have adequate clearance in that condition. We can not design around every potential modification and though you have noted several instances of the same issue, we have sold numerous kits and only a small percentage has had a similar concern. There have been one or 2 others the past couple years we were aware of and a reasonable ride height adjustment helped on those. In that you noticed a noise immediately upon installation and called to ask us works well in your favor. Anyone going for months with the same issue and not finding the cause or calling us for help, we can’t really do much for.

We will take this opportunity to update our literature to further highlight this potential issue on every platform; however we would not be responsible for modifications done by a customer as we have no control over anything but our own products.

That said, we understand your situation and if you feel it necessary to replace any brake components, we would authorize a discount through one of our authorized distributors.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and thank you for your patience the past couple days-

Matt Weiss

Quality & Tech Support Manager

StopTech

310-933-1100 x 3105

Fax 310-933-1109

[email protected]

www.stoptech.com

www.centricparts.com

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
I am on my cell phone right now at HIN LA but I've had the same problem and reported it before.

My ball joint is already fucked up. Had to end up replacing my ball joint when dropping my subframe.

·
spicy
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xqizit has had this problem before. we fixed it by using spacers. pm him
yeah, that can be a solution, probably a 2-3mm spacer... but then you would need to effectively move the caliper out the same distance.. thats a lot of shims ..

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Now that I am in front of my laptop (opposed to my cell phone) and took a better look at your picture, I have the exact same problem. The castle nut for my ball joint is completely fucked up, to the point it bent my ball joint.

Jon, I got your PM. Let's try to meet up sometime next week so we can get the ball rolling. I reported this to Stoptech and I believe I made a thread about it and there was no headway on it.

·
Weightlifting Master
3,311 Posts
ouch, are these 02-04 or 05+, reason being is I think the ball joints are a little bigger on the newer models.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
This is for the big brake it.

The damage is on the rear of the rotor. I had clicking noises so it would make sense as the castle nut on the ball joint was rubbing/hitting on the slots of the rotor.

Jon, Eric's, and mine (Eric) are 02-04's.

·
spicy
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they offer several brake kits so it was a legit question
Stoptech doesnt have a brake kit that offers a larger /slotted rotor.

Anyways, I'm waiting for a response on monday...

Eric, we'll meet up sometime... Can you come over to Eric's house on Thursday afternoon?

In regards to when this happens, it happens under hard lateral cornering. Suspension travels in an arc while the rotor remains relatively vertical... hence the diagonal wear marks.

again, all our drops are relatively mild, pretty much one finger gap for all of us. A spacer behind the rotor and mounting bracket would work..

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
did you notice the noise only when making tight turns or compressing the suspension?
It happened in two situations

A.) Right after the install (before bed-in), the clicking noise occured when backing out of my friend's driveway. Subsequently, we jacked it up, re-installed it, same issue. Went away over time (aka we wore down the metal).
B.) Now, it only on very tight turns at high G's.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
Stoptech doesnt have a brake kit that offers a larger /slotted rotor.

Anyways, I'm waiting for a response on monday...

Eric, we'll meet up sometime... Can you come over to Eric's house on Thursday afternoon?

In regards to when this happens, it happens under hard lateral cornering. Suspension travels in an arc while the rotor remains relatively vertical... hence the diagonal wear marks.

again, all our drops are relatively mild, pretty much one finger gap for all of us. A spacer behind the rotor and mounting bracket would work..
I have work till 5:00PM, earliest I can get down to Hacienda/Diamond/Rowland area is 6:00PM, and that's pretty conservative as I have to fight traffic down there.

I'm actually pretty slammed. I still have half a finger gap in the front. My rear is tucked.

·
Canon Crew
12,127 Posts
is this just the BBK??? Im running stage 2 and no problems

·
spicy
10,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Eric.. we might be able to do it soon. Me and eric have to leave later that night, maybe around 8p... so hurry down there..

This is only a problem on the bbk.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts