Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen your threads and lots of info on the "electrical" oil pressure, but do you have tech. on how to install a "mechanical" oil pressure guage? What parts do I need and what is involved in the whole fitting set-up? Has anyone used a "mechanical" oil pressure guage on their K20"s? Just want to have a clear understanding on the install....

WarmPepsi: Nice diy's...very well explained!

Jeff

[email protected]

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
JDQuikCivic said:
I've seen your threads and lots of info on the "electrical" oil pressure, but do you have tech. on how to install a "mechanical" oil pressure guage? What parts do I need and what is involved in the whole fitting set-up? Has anyone used a "mechanical" oil pressure guage on their K20"s? Just want to have a clear understanding on the install....

WarmPepsi: Nice diy's...very well explained!

Jeff

[email protected]
heh, yeah, normally by pm or posting up in one of the two forums i frequent (n2o + midwest)

however, i'd reccommend not going with a mechanical gauge. I wouldn't want a live oil line on the other side of the firewall. For the cost, electrical isn't that much more expensive, it's worth the few bucks :thumbsup:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's what I got. I got it for free and want to see if it's still possible to install. All the other guages are pretty easy to install. Can it still be done?

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
yes, but it means you're runnin a live oil line inside the cabin.

honestly, i'd ebay it and get an electrical one.

if not, you need to do the same thing as the normal install, other than instead of connecting the remote sender, you need to start a line that'll run all the way into the car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would it be better if I used a steel braided line to go back to the "mechanical" guage?
I don't mind having the live oil come up to the guage....if not, then I'll just ebay it and get an "electrical" one...maybe

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
i wouldn't run a plastic line through the firewall.

again an electrical oil guage doesn't cost a whole lot, it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm....trying to decide now..

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
yeah I'd say it'd be better to ebay it and get electrical. You run into a good issue of starting a fire in the cabin if you get into an accident and the line ruptured against metal, creating a spark. That would suck badly. Plus explaining that to insurance or them finding out post-burnt car would invalidate your insurance claim.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But...IS it that much easier?

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
yes, you run a simple 14 or 16 gauge wire into the cabin and up your a-pillar, rather than a live braided oil line. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well....I guess you convinced me...who would buy a "mechanical' guage?

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
1. they're cheaper.

2. they may be a hair more accurate (i'm sure less than 1% of 100psi, because you wouldn't lose voltage from the sender to the meter)

3. A lot of mechanical gauges are actually mounted on the other side of the firewall. Some old beast muscle cars are setup that way where the gauges are actually outside the windshield, on the hood.

4. mechanical is old school. So people might use them if they're layin around, or free :laughing: :wavey:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts