Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

AUTO to MANUAL (K20A3) 6-SPEED Transmission swap

80K views 188 replies 40 participants last post by  jessepesc 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally finished my manual swap :giggity:
Since there is still a lot of questions flying around concerning this project, especially the issues involved, as well as what is needed to avoid issues later on....
Here is a list & procedure of all the parts I used to make it into a complete Manual car (mechanical and electrical)
THIS WILL ONLY APPLY TO THE AUTOMATIC 02-04 GENERATIONS, I HAVE NO IDEA CONCERNING THE AUTOMATIC 05-06 GENERATIONS

Blue text will represent the parts I decided to upgrade with aftermarket products, you can use the OEM ones for those.

INTERIOR

5-speed Dash Harness (32117-S6M-A00)
5-speed ECU (37820-PND-A01 thru A09)
02-04 Type-S Cluster
Revo Short Shift Kit (5-Speed)
K-Tuned Billet Shifter Arm
JDM FD2 Civic Type R 6 Speed Shift Knob
JDM center console + Ebrake you will need the USDM shift boot piece ONLY if you decide to stay OEM
Type-s Brake Pedal (sensor can be reused off the auto)
Type-s Clutch Pedal (with sensors) make sure to get the two nuts (94050-08080)

You will have to match the new ECU to your keys and Immobilizer, which means you will have to take it to the dealership.
I was thinking on getting K-pro, but didn't want to spend an extra grand at that moment.....
Since I didn't want to get my car towed to the dealership ( and hope for the best)... I managed to get a good deal
on the K-tuned Immobilizer/Multiplexor By-pass, which works.

ENGINE BAY

5-speed Engine Harness (32110-PND-A00)

Clutch system

Clutch Master Cylinder: 01-05 Civic (46920-S5A-G06) + 46941-S5A-003 (PIN SPRING), 46942-S5A-003 (PIN SNAP)
Clutch Reservoir (46965-S5A-013) + 46971-S6M-A03 TUBE, 46966-S6M-A02 BRACKET, 93403-06012-08 BOLT-WASHER (6X12)
S/S clutch line But... if you decide to go OEM, here is the parts list for the clutch lines

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org...LINDER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

Clutch Slave Assembly + attachment bolts (90106-S7A-E00)
Competition Clutch Stage 1.5 Clutch & Ultra Lightweight Flywheel Combo
Pilot Bushing (included in the CC stage 1.5 clutch & flywheel kit)
Release Bearing (included in the CC stage 1.5 clutch & flywheel kit)
Flywheel bolts (90011-PNA-B00) 8 of them
Pressure Plate bolts (90034-689-000) 6 of them

Engine/Transmission mounts

Type-S front Mount (get an extra bolt 90168-S5A-0000)
type-S Manual rear mount BRACKET (50827-S7C-000) with the bolts!! 90166-S7C-000 BOLT, FLANGE (2 of them) & 90165-S7C-000 BOLT, FLANGE ( only 1)
type-S driver's side mount
if you decide to keep your Auto Driver's side mount, you will have to get a custom bracket made to be able to mount it onto the transmission.
In my case, I managed to get ahold of the Manual's driver's side mounting brackets.... IF!!!!! you do this, make sure to get them installed on the frame before you put the transmission back into the engine bay!!!!!

UPDATE!!

Now there is a bracket available for the manual swap :thumbsup:
http://www.kseriesparts.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CR&Product_Code=HAS-DC5A2M
You lucky bastards :mad:

Transmission

02-04 6-speed Transmission (make sure it has all the sensors, as well as the brackets. It will save you money and time)
MTEC racing Springs (make sure to lubricate the required parts on the shifter arm mechanism very well, otherwise, going into reverse will be impossible)
Shifter cables (Here is a list showing the items you will need in case you didn't get them with your purchase) #3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org...+LEVER&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

Type-s Half Shaft (44500-SCV-A00)
Type-S half Shaft Cover (44517-SMT-G00)

Fluids

Acura Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT 3
Honda HG Manual transmission fluid
Long Life Antifreeze/ Coolant type 2

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
PROCEDURE (sort of)

Interior Dashboard Removal

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=641971

You have to make sure to insert the ENGINE HARNESS PLUGS (ECU) to the interior before putting the dashboard back together...

Clutch Pedal install (you will know what needs to be done)

Auto Transmission Removal (helms 14-273)
or http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=718585 for better reference concerning the steps

Auto intake manifold removal (only black shitty plastic piece) Helms 9-2
(you will need to do this ^^ to connect the last Engine Harness Plug) it is not hard, I though it would be, but it isn't....
it also gave me plenty of space when bolting the front mount to the sub-frame

Clutch Slave Cylinder Bleeding procedure (Helms 12-10)

If you go the K-tuned Immobilzer/Multiplexor route, DO NOT CONNECT THE BLUE WIRE!!!!!!

If you have all these parts from the start, I can assure you it will only take you less than 3 days, if you are experienced, and have someone else helping you out
1 week if you are experienced and doing it by yourself.

It took me two months to finish this project (september to October), two weeks spent on installation, 4 weeks waiting for parts to arrive, and 2 weeks figuring out how I was going to get the manual brackets attached to the car's frame ( at the end I did it the guetto way, which works)

My budget limit was $3000.00 , I spent $3,100 on this project
I somehow obtained the main components for the swap under $2,400
I am pretty confident I would've spent less if I didn't rush it
the rest was spent on tools I didn't use, parts that weren't needed, and upgrades :face:

I hope this will help those individuals who decide to do this, trust me, you won't regret it!! :giggity:

Here are some pics I took during swap

#5 · (Edited)
It is hard to find a pretty decent type-s around $7,000 in my area, plus I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting it registered, insurance, etc
The swap itself didn't cost me more than $2,400 on parts, it went over 3,000 'cause i went crazy with the upgrades :laughing:
I couldn't sell the auto because the transmission was busted, as well :)

#7 ·
Trust me, If you do your homework (AKA research), everything will go as planned :thumbsup:
that is one of the reason why I created this thread to show people what is needed (in a more detailed way) to pull this swap off.
As far as unistalling the dash, tranny, etc goes, it was my first time doing it :noes: and it was fun :giggity:
The only thing I wouldn't wanna do again (at least for a while) is installing the freaking subframe back in :firemad: that made me sweat like a pig.

#11 ·
why are you using the 02-04 type s cluster in th base?? dont those have different redlines? also did you wire anything different to make the 02-04 cluster work on base wire harness, because i have a 06 base and brought a 06 type s cluster and it doesnt work
Future Engine Swap! :shady:

Nope, I didn't wire anything, it was plug & play :thumbsup:
the 05-06 generations have Speed Signal issues, I believe you will need a speed converter

#22 ·
Actually, thanks to you I managed to finish it :laughing:
The driver's mount issue is one of the main things making this conversion more problematic.

I sincerely appreciate your time and effort for taking those suckers out of the frame :thumbsup: :bow:

#28 ·
This is awesome man, good work. I just have one question because i was thinking about doing this on my base auto. I've heard opinions on here about how doing a manual/auto swap will make your car feel different/worse than a car that comes manual. do you experience anything weird in your new stick shift? I believe that if you do everything correctly that it should be just fine but I wanted to get your opinion since you've already done it.

#30 ·
Let me put it this way....... "6-speed transmission is the ultimate Bolt-on Mod for an Auto RSX" :laughing:

When I was auto, I had my ECU reflashed ( I was :giggity: ) .... Now, with the car being manual, It's more like :love: and it pulls a lot better than a reflashed auto.

So far, everything is working like it should (knock on wood)..... My uncle drove the car (powershifted the shit out of it) and he fell in love with it, as well.
If you are worried about DD a manual car, you shouldn't be...... it is pretty much the same as driving an auto, the only difference is YOU have to change the gears, not a computer :laughing:

The only advice I can give you if you are planning on doing this....is to make sure you have some experience driving standard, because if you do the swap, and try to learn how by using your car.... you are in for the most frustrating days of your life, you might regret doing the swap, as well as causing some damage to the car's components.

To make it short, I am happy I did the swap :thumbsup:

im working on doin this as well. all i need is parts to b delivered. kpro,o2sensor,n trans w lsd to do what i want.

i got literally everthing but that for 1100
Nice!! :thumbsup:

#31 ·
also gonna have comp clutch stg 2. got a deal on one thats virtually brand new. put it on a car he built and it blew up on the dyno.

minor things like esmm are needed too. hopefully if all goes as planned. itll b under 3200-4000 for 6spd/lsd/brand new kpro swap. thats not bad for all that i dont think

#32 ·
If you are not in a rush, just take your time on getting the parts..... you will save a lot of money if you do so.... I spent around 3000 grand because i needed to have my car fixed as fast as possible....
It was either getting a shitty auto tranny to replace my messed up one (which would've let me have the car for use within a week) or doing the swap.

I decided to do the swap, because I knew I was going to have more problems with the auto tranny down the road ( I am currently around 120,000 miles) due to all those freaking solenoids and electrical crap it has going on.

#36 ·
yep :) Most of the research was done in here :giggity:
and I used the Helms manual mostly for torquing specs and whatnot. :thumbsup:

yea ive used this site and k20a for pretty much everything. plus it helps i can talk to mechanics almost anytime i need to

also pongoro.... i ended up going with the z1 engine and dash harness'. i couldnt understand why 05-06 kpro works for base and type s if harness were diff. only diff in those harness' is the TPS sensor, which i just got a z1 im/tb/tps to solve that issue (hopefully/theoretically) the knock sensor is diff on the motors but either one works in the other block, but its ran by the charge harness so that doesnt matter, can still be controlled/monitored in kpro.

i need to get a better knowledge of tuning before i do the swap, all i need now is IMG, trans, kpro, lsd.... the expensive things lol
You lucky bastard :shady: :laughing:
I wish I could swap my k20a3, as well :(
Since you are going with the K20z1, you can use the 05-06 type-s dash harness & engine harness, I am pretty sure there won't be any compatibility issues if those harnesses are used.
Make sure to get an 05-06 6-speed transmission (high frequency vs low frequency), though :thumbsup:
That way, you won't have to deal with speed signal issues and crap.

#35 ·
yea ive used this site and k20a for pretty much everything. plus it helps i can talk to mechanics almost anytime i need to

also pongoro.... i ended up going with the z1 engine and dash harness'. i couldnt understand why 05-06 kpro works for base and type s if harness were diff. only diff in those harness' is the TPS sensor, which i just got a z1 im/tb/tps to solve that issue (hopefully/theoretically) the knock sensor is diff on the motors but either one works in the other block, but its ran by the charge harness so that doesnt matter, can still be controlled/monitored in kpro.

i need to get a better knowledge of tuning before i do the swap, all i need now is IMG, trans, kpro, lsd.... the expensive things lol

#38 ·

no im gonna have the a3 motor 0506 with z1 trans.... do you mean lucky for that trans not the a2?

i know about the vss, ive actually been looking into this since before i even made my crsx account when djcarbine first put up his thread. followed the turbo build and all, just mad he never posted pics. lol

really need to find a trans, kpro is easy im sending out an ecu thats bone stock (too many fakes around), and the other things i should be able to get for under 200.. IMG, ss shifter/cable bushings and misc bolts. im hoping under 4000 for everything but the goal is under 3500... def possible as ive tried getting all used but working cond OEM parts. only a few are gonna be upgraded. like i want a stock shifter no short throws or anything
I thought you were going to swap the engine, too :laughing:
Then you better get the 5-speed dash harness & engine harness since you are keeping the k20a3 :(

Also, do not buy shifter cables till you get the transmission.... The transmission I bought came with shifter cables. If I knew I was going to get them with the tranny, I wouldn't have bought them before I got the tranny (I used the ones I bought, though... looked cleaner)

#37 ·
no im gonna have the a3 motor 0506 with z1 trans.... do you mean lucky for that trans not the a2?

i know about the vss, ive actually been looking into this since before i even made my crsx account when djcarbine first put up his thread. followed the turbo build and all, just mad he never posted pics. lol

really need to find a trans, kpro is easy im sending out an ecu thats bone stock (too many fakes around), and the other things i should be able to get for under 200.. IMG, ss shifter/cable bushings and misc bolts. im hoping under 4000 for everything but the goal is under 3500... def possible as ive tried getting all used but working cond OEM parts. only a few are gonna be upgraded. like i want a stock shifter no short throws or anything

#39 ·
nope already have cables and bought z1 engine harness and dash harness, just got the IM,TB,TPS.... look at it like this, the same kpro works the same on all 05-06 regarless of base or type s, just need the jumper harness and o2 sensor. the diff bw the two harness is the tps, which im solving. every dash part from 05-06 type s is plug and play with the base, even cluster. all plugs that go into ecu are the same. its the same harness with a diff tps sensor. interior is exactly the same. honda wouldnt make 6 diff dash harness (auto,base,type s for old and new style) car companies dont USUALLY (not always) work that way, they will list them as diff parts tho and make you pay more or less dep on the application.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.