Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a RSX type S. would like to take it to autox, but i don't want to waste my tires. what tires do u guys recommend. i don't plan on making any other mods except tires for now. pls be specific as possible.

i have autocrossed before in an S2k and enjoyed it. that car had kumho victor racers.

thx :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, looks like the Falken Azenis Sport is the tire of choice.

Can someone pls explain what are "crash bolts"??

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
First of all congrats and welcome! I think the RSX is a great autox car and I wish I saw more of them. What region/country are you in? My answers are within the context of SCCA rules. Other US organizations like NASA also use the SCCA rules and classes. I assume you've read the FAQ, if not go ahead and check that out.

The "crash bolts" are factory bolts that increase the amount of negative camber on your car, giving you some more cornering tolerance. Stock, the car is aligned anywhere between 0 deg and -.25 deg. With the crash bolts you can get anywhere between -0.8 and -2 (depending on whose stories you believe). It's a unique situation that these bolts are mentioned in the Acura service manual, which makes them legal for stock class; aftermarket/3rd-party camber bolts are not. I wouldn't worry about it right now if you're not very experienced. If the car is new, no point in wasting money on an alignment, there's plenty skill to be learned which makes much more of a difference.

Victoracers are pretty serious tires, but if you're going to run as a Novice you are required to run non-R tires (I think the min. treadwear is 120, and the Victos are 50). It's for this reason that the Falkens (200 rating) are the weapon of choice for the most part; plus they're so cheap for the performance you get. I've been struggling with the Michelins for a year now, and just picked up some Azenis, I've netted about 4 seconds off my times when I compare my times to other drivers' from previous weeks. If you're just starting off there's really no question. The only downside is that the Azenis are known to ramp off when they get hot. Many people spray them down after every run to keep them cool. Other people like the Kumho Ecsta MX, which are about the same price and last a little longer, but do better hot (sort of inverse of the Falkens). I've never driven the MXs, I'm just reiterating what I've been told.

If you are getting a second pair of rims make sure they're the same dimensions (diam, width) as the stockies or you'll be bumped into something like Street Touring S. I would recommend getting a second pair of OEM rims as they can be found super cheap and are pretty light (16in, ~17lbs). The only other light 16x6.5 tire I've seen is the SSR Competition ($275 each... yikes). If you go the two sets route, you can keep the Michelins for daily driving and not worry about tires for literally years.

Wow, I beat that to death.

·
cone head
1,452 Posts
Tear the crap out of your stock tires first. Don't worry, it won't take long.
The Azenis are great though. My advice is get the 215/45, they fit on the stock 16" rims and give you a bit more tread and better gearing (though your speedo will be off by about 5%).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts