Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've picked up some R-Compound tires, so I need some wheels.

I'm considering some 16" Maxxim Oxygenes. I'd love to get some Rota Slips, but availability is bad where I am.

What do you guys use for auto-x rims, and what offsets do you think would be best?

Thanks alot guys,

..jon

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
what class are you going to run? different classes have different restrictions on wheels, example for STS you are limited to a maximum wheel width of 7.5" and a minimum tread wear of 140, where stock, tires are unrestricted (must be DOT legal) but wheels are limited to stock size and witdth +-.5 inch of offset.

·
walks softly
127 Posts
Zzyzx said:
+-.5 inch of offset.
Actually that is +- 5mm offset, slightly less than 1/4 inch.

jon, tell us what class you intend to run and what other modifications you have or plan to do and we'll point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm in Canada so we run under CNAC rules, so the classing is quite different up here.

My mods this year are just an AEM V2, and some Toyo RA-1 tires. I want a 16" x 7 or 7.5 wheel. Offset should be within stock spec. (40-45)

·
cone head
1,452 Posts
Well the intake would take you out of "stock" class normally. R compounds are not allowed in "Street Touring" type classes either. I think you are looking at a "Street Mod" (SM) type of class.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would actually be in "Super Stock" class under CNAC rules.

Anyway, I'm just wondering about wheels. What do you guys use?

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
You'd want the smallest widest wheel you can fit. (I have an 01 Civic EX, so Im not sure how small or wide you RSX guys can go)

at a minimum youd want a 16X7 Preferably wider.

HPDETOY, my bad. I run STS so I haven't read the stock rules that throughly. :)

·
walks softly
127 Posts
Zzyzx said:
HPDETOY, my bad. I run STS so I haven't read the stock rules that throughly. :)
NP! :thumbsup: I figured he wasn't looking for stock class legal wheels anyway but on the chance someone else is, I clarified it.

jon, look for the lightest, strongest wheel in at least a 7.5" +42~45, you can fit an 8", a Mugen MF10 is +45 but you may want something closer to +40.

The Toyo RA-1 are an ok tire, a little pricey, you may want to try a Kumho when those wear out. The new 710's are not proven yet, Ecsta 700's are ok but the ol standby Victoracer is still a good tire for the money. Personally I still prefer Indiana gummy.

cheers,

·
Registered
358 Posts
HPDETOY said:
Actually that is +- 5mm offset, slightly less than 1/4 inch.

jon, tell us what class you intend to run and what other modifications you have or plan to do and we'll point you in the right direction.
Sorry HPDETOY,
Actually it is +/- .25" for wheel offset for Stock Class (as per the SCCA 2004 rule book I have in front of me). It's always been this because most basic wheel spacers are .25" thick. I know plenty of people using stock wheels with a .25" spacer.

I agree, for STS, you probably want a 16x7 or 7.5. The offset is more of a fitment issue with the tires and fenders at that point. From what I've read about RSX wheel fitment and my previous autocross experience, I think you may want to run 205 tires in the back with 225's upfront. If you feel like there is not enough traction in the rear (probably not a problem with stock swaybars), you could just add a little more camber.

-Jason

·
walks softly
127 Posts
Jas00x said:
Sorry HPDETOY,
Actually it is +/- .25" for wheel offset for Stock Class (as per the SCCA 2004 rule book I have in front of me).
You're right. Damn bassackwards Imperial measuring system. Bah! :tonguegri Ok, +-6mm for the metric at heart. (FWIW I had a 5mm H&R spacer to reference, admittedly not a rule book)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts