Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for the long post, as well as the vague title, the problem im having is going to take some explanation and i want to provide as much information as i can. The car is a Base 2003 RSX automatic w/ 178k miles (i dont need the rhetoric, im aware I should have got a 5 speed), up until Friday April 23, 2021 my transmission was fine, on my way home from work I noticed my drive light was flashing. I did the research and found its sensor related. My project for the weekend was to get my new cv’s installed, so I wasn’t going to be able to get the sensor fixed until later on because im broke af. Well on Sunday, after installing my cv’s, i took it for a test ride. I’d say the road was a mile long, half dirt half asphalt, made it past the dirt no problems, got it up to 65 on the asphalt no problems, BUT when i got to the stop sign and stopped, when i continued on i went 10ft forward and my rpms shot all the way up and i lost power. Got it pulled over and I couldn’t get the car in park, i got it in neutral and put the parking brake on. We saw smoke coming up from the bay, we deduced it down to transmission fluid leaking on the exhaust. Once everything had a chance to cool down, we checked tranny fluid and it was empty, we ran a scanner and only got 2 codes: P0420 (bad cats, owner before me did a muffler delete) and P0845 (transmission oil pressure sensor). No new lights on the dash or anything. We managed to get it in park, but it still rolled as if it were in neutral. So with all that said, is my transmission toast? I greatly appreciate any advice and insight. Once i can get it towed home I’ll be able to dig around it more and give you information as i get it, but that wont be until Thursday (04/29/21)

(side note, the installation of the cv’s went fine, they were still completely seated and had no play in them when the transmission shat itself)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You need to either pull the trans, or throw fluid back in there and see if it works before you can determine whether or not she's dead. If you were driving around with low/no fluid for a while, you will likely need a rebuild.

Just an FYI, a muffler delete will not have any effect on cat efficiency.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to either pull the trans, or throw fluid back in there and see if it works before you can determine whether or not she's dead. If you were driving around with low/no fluid for a while, you will likely need a rebuild.

Just an FYI, a muffler delete will not have any effect on cat efficiency.
Thats what i was expecting, ive only had the car for a few months so ive been going through all the typical maintenance, transmission fluid completely slipped my mind. It obviously had SOME fluid in it, because it leaked onto the exhaust and started smoking a little. I’ll definitely try filling the fluid back, but with it leaking, i have little faith in that working. Also, thanks for the information, i just assumed the muffler delete was in association with it. I only included the code because it was the only other code i got when we scanned it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update
trans is fried, sounds like forks in a blender 😢 we are thinking i had a bad seal or something and it sprung a leak after changing the cv’s, confusing part is there was no trans fluid on the ground where we were working. We found a trail of fluid on the road so i guess i just didn’t catch it in time before it drained. Regardless, shes done. Guess its time to learn how to rebuild a transmission... kms🙃

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
should have got a 5 speed
😞 i had $3k to work with, i told myself this was going to be the daily and I wasn’t going crazy with it but we all know how that goes. I also live in a very “stop and go” college town. The next one will be manual though, i plan on buying another dc5 eventually.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey buddy. First,You need to drain all the old transmission fluid and replace it with correct Honda fluid. Second, try to locate the in-line transmission fluid filter located next to the bottom of the radiator. More than 90% of the Honda Civic and Acura RSX which had transmission failure were the result of not changing this filter. When was the last time you changed it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey buddy. First,You need to drain all the old transmission fluid and replace it with correct Honda fluid. Second, try to locate the in-line transmission fluid filter located next to the bottom of the radiator. More than 90% of the Honda Civic and Acura RSX which had transmission failure were the result of not changing this filter. When was the last time you changed it?
Thanks so much for the advice! I’ll definitely try to get under there and see. It’s got Acura trans fluid in it, but as for the filter i had no idea, ive only owned the car for a few months at this point. I got wrapped up in things that desperately needed fixing and neglected the little things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts