Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well now that i have your attentions with this awesome thread title. I've got some vids from this awfully boring weekend i had. You guys won't enjoy them at all, i know i was about to shoot myself because i had absolutely nothing to do. So enough bitching, here are the vids.

Here is my 2nd fastest run @ Miller Park, turns out batteries died before i took my fastest run.... oh well! Oh that's my lieutenant sitting shotty, his first time out on an auto-x course. He chose the right car to take his first run in! I didn't go easy! LOL!

The time you hear the second i cross the finish line is mine, however i am Jake Kaminskis! LOL! So i booted myself out of 4th place in SM. They had the names mixed up for half of the second heat...
WAI Event #2

Ok while my track vids are uploading, i'll tell you how my Monday and Tuesday panned out. Right after a full day of autocrossing i hit the road down to Joliet, IL for 2 days of road racing @ Autobahn Country Club. Things started out slow, just set up camp and hung out with a couple ITR owners. I went to sleep and then woke up early to make sure the car was ready for the abuse i would soon be putting it through.

Monday i spent the whole day running on my street tires, i wanted to get a feel for the course and how the street tires gripped the corners. I also was having issues with rubbing when i had the race tires on. I soon found out that it was a wheel weight clipped on the inside lip of the wheel that was causing the rubbing. So thanks to Charlie from Top Setup in Chicago, i got 2 5mm wheel spacers for the rear. On one of my 25 minutes sessions, i had a black RSX-S that i was chasing around and eventually passed. He approached me Tuesday morning and asked what i had all done to my car. He was shocked that my car was walking him around the course! He then found out that i am still running the stock K20a3 and was running on street tires the whole time! LOL! Shows that power isn't everything!

Tuesday went awesome! I tossed on the race tires and took them out to see if the rubbing issue had been solved by the wheel spacers. Sure enough, no more rubbing! So then it was time to see what the difference between street and race tires was. I am completely shocked at the difference in grip on the track! No joke, i was baffled by how much grip there was. In fact it took me 2 sessions just to get comfortable with tossing the car into turns and letting the tires do the work.

Later after lunch around 1pm, i had the opportunity of a lifetime! Turns out, that the classroom instructor we had (Shields Bergstrom) is a candidate for Aston Martin's 2010 F1 team. I had offered to give him a ride in the EP3 and he accepted. This man knows all the answers to every question i have had! We hopped on the track and he observed my driving for a couple laps, then he was ready to tell me how i could become faster. After about 4 laps he had me shave off at least 6 seconds alone around the track. Now this is a rough guess, but i bet if i had some timing equipment the numbers would probably be higher!

Once the session was over, he told me that i was to the point where i don't have to worry about the basics. Just that i needed to figure out where and how to carry more speed into the corners. His motto is Fast In, Fast Out!

All in all he has inspired new confidence in myself and my driving! I was grateful to have him take the time out of his day to show me the ropes, i hope he makes it to F1!

ITR Expo9 @ Autobahn "F1 Hopeful Riding Shotty"
ITR Expo9 @ Autobahn "F1 Hopeful Riding Shotty" (Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTY7BR0YRNU

Pic of the car at ITR Expo:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The passenger in the track vid is Shields Bergstrom, some people who pay attention to professional racing may know of him. He races all over the world, and is a candidate for Aston Martin's 2010 F1 Racing Team. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to have him in the car teaching me how to become fast! So i took it!

Oh did i mention he's a local!

Here is a good spec sheet of his racing career:
http://www.redflymotorsports.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=73
http://www.examiner.com/x-7861-Milwaukee-Sports-Car-Examiner

And the passenger in the Auto-X vid is my Lieutenant from work.

·
ride height Nazi
7,601 Posts
very cool vids.....You are putting down some good lines, I forget, you have a lsd?

·
QUACK ATTACK!!!!
3,864 Posts
looking really good bro:thumbsup: i am not sure how you could shave more time off cause that looked pretty fast to me.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looking really good bro:thumbsup: i am not sure how you could shave more time off cause that looked pretty fast to me.
LOL! You brought it back from the dead! However there is actually a lot of stuff i can do to shave off more time. My EP3 is fun on the track, however far from being a track prepped car. Other than that, just being smoother with the controls and working the course section by section i could easily drop off at least 10 seconds just with experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts