Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 695 Posts

·
Moscow, Russia
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We make it today! It's perfect $3-solution! No shitty FM-modulators! Pure crystal sound! Direct AUX input!!!

UPDATE: SCROLL DOWN FOR DIY
GO TO THE POST#16 FOR THE LATEST VERSION (0.99) - March 01 2008

·
Moscow, Russia
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutly serious
Videos and photos will be tomorrow

·
Moscow, Russia
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
considering you put the unit in FM mode I do not believe you are not using some sort of modulator for it. unless you are posting wiring pics and parts list's I call BS on this.

·
down south georgia boy
567 Posts
in for a how-to

·
IT'S SOO FLUFFY!!!
797 Posts
fm direct line adapter with mini stereo input jack...could use a phatbox if the headunit had external changer hookup which im not sure but dont think it has...

·
iHeartDC5's
872 Posts
paul man, you can't do that!

post pictures of this stuff, and then leave us without having any clue on how to do it ourselves?

let us know!

·
Moscow, Russia
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Version 0.99

Please be aware that the author provides the procedures below as is, without any warrantees and shall not be held accountable for any damages caused by the use of the procedures. If you're not skilled in the use of a soldering iron and/or are not familiar with radio equipment, please consult with a professional.

Initially the idea was to connect an auxilary audio device instead of the tape deck, but at a closer inspection it turned out that even though the player is fairly outdated, all of its components are of pretty high quality and the tape deck is actually a very complicated mechanism. Connecting to the tape deck would be a hard thing to do.

For example, special triggers check if the tape is actually in the deck, and won't let you press "tape" if the tape is not inside or something's wrong with it.
That's why it was decided to connect via radio module. The concept of this connection is this - there is a cut in the place, where the signal goes from preamp to the player.This way the cut off point is simply the work switch between the stock radio and the outer device.

Difficulty: medium

So here's what you're going to need:
1) flat-tip screwdriver
2) Phillips head screwdriver
3) solding iron
4) wires
5) aux input port (jack 3,5 mm)
6) drill

All that is required in this modification is disassembly of the head unit and soldering of 5 wires in appropriate locations.

First, remove the head unit from the vehicle.
The instruction manual outlines this procedure.

Then you have to take it apart. The process is pretty easy, but everything has to be done very carefully, memorizing every step of disassembly. In the beginning all the covers are removed, and then the cd changer and the tape deck.

·
Moscow, Russia
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Now U can begin with the solding iron.

Before soldering, the trace coating must be removed and the soldering locations must be pre-tinned. This will help solder on the wires securely.

After consulting with my friend, who did all this work (Ilya Dorofeev), we decided that its best find a connector from an electronics parts store (shouldn't be a problem in the USA). The schematic for it would look similar to this (should be available in connector documentation).

1 - Signal Ground
2 - Right Channel (to Electronic Volume Control) (jack switch)
3 - Right Channel (to AM/FM Tuner)
4 - Left Channel (to AM/FM Tuner)
5 - Left Channel (to Electronic Volume Control) (jack switch)

Schematics for the cd-receiver can be downloaded here (3 Mb):
http://codedradio.info/manuals/panasonic/cq-eh9160a.pdf

Connect here (tomorrow i will draw line to connection point);

Because the circuit board traces are very small, soldering wires to them is very difficult. As a result, the 2.5 contacts should be soldered to contact pads while the 4.3 contacts need to be soldered to the diode. Do this carefully and quickly. Overheating the diode can damage it.

Head units produced in 2002-2004 and 2005-2006 are slightly different. The diode assembly D155 corresponds to diode assembly D104 (which is in my photo).

Signal Ground (1) is connected to the main board common Ground because it doesn't make a difference where the ground wire is connected and it was simply convenient to connect it to the closest contact pad.

·
Moscow, Russia
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It looks like this on the pic.

Where do you get the AUX-connector? In any old school boombox or in computer speakers. I bought the cheapest speakers for 3$. The headphones connector switch is exactly what you need. It has 5 terminals: 1- ground, 2- one channel and 2 the other. Connect terminal 1 to ground. You have to connect the stock radio signal to the first two channels( so that it could work properly after the upgrade) and the outside input of the connector to the other two. This is where the jack is placed.

You will need to cut the circuitboard traces as shown and solder the wires to the traces.

We drill a hole in reciever body ( You can choose any position, but I found my location perferable).

·
Moscow, Russia
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Then we put the receiver together, pulling out the wires and the switch.

Stick the switch with a special glue.

Put the reciever together, final point.

Now we can test it.

The operating procedure is very easy since the jack is actually the same type of switch for the headphones in computer speakers. When nothing is connected to the switch, it works in radio mode. If you plug a stereo connector into the jack, the radio signal is disconnected and instead the auxilary jack signal,is used by the radio.
Pull the cable off- radio mode again.

That's it!

Thanks a lot to Ilya Dorofeev (in photos) for all the work and StayC and 3axap helping me translate!
If you don't understand something, you can ask me!

1 - 20 of 695 Posts