Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

681 - 695 of 695 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Totally vouch for asbo as well. Awesome guy and pumped it out in one night. He knows his stuff so don't even hesitate and just do it.

Many thanks to asbo for performing this mod. I've had it installed for over a month and it works perfectly, and keeps the OEM look. Well done sir!

·
Registered
600 Posts
These are links to the same post. Do you have a link to the original full DIY? Can't find it anywhere.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
No they're not. Try again. Post #659 includes a download link for the preserved tutorial, but doesn't include the L/R that gets mentioned later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just finished this DIY

I performed this on 2 Bose RSX radios (1 '05-'06 and 1 '02 - '04) over the weekend - and both worked flawlessly. I bought this pack of headphone jacks from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GLQAF7A/

These pics are from the '05-'06 radio. Only thing I did not do was reinforce my connections with some hot glue - so we will see how the connections last in the extremes of Minnesota weather.

Thanks once again to asbo for sharing this with everyone.

File_000.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

·
m0o0o0o000?
7,354 Posts
It's also completely possible to buy a Bluetooth module and retrofit that instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
Bit of necromancy, but yes I'll still do this mod you're interested. $50 to cover parts and labor, you pay shipping both ways, turnaround is usually a week or so depending on my schedule.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just posting a review for asbo who did an absolutely incredible job on my head unit. Wiring is much better than I could do myself with everything neatly sheathed and solid strain relief to make sure the wires hold up. Sound is amazing. If you want this mod having asbo do it is the way to go. (y)

·
WILDCARD!
1,165 Posts
At this point in time, is the main draw for this just to keep an OEM look to deter thieves?

I mean, sounds like OP has got this down to a science and does quality work and good for him, but it's almost 2020 now and you can get a basic Pioneer touch screen with aux, USB, Bluetooth, built-in amplification and the option to add a car phone for slightly less than $200. I can't imagine not going that route unless you're just scared to death of thieves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At this point in time, is the main draw for this just to keep an OEM look to deter thieves?

I mean, sounds like OP has got this down to a science and does quality work and good for him, but it's almost 2020 now and you can get a basic Pioneer touch screen with aux, USB, Bluetooth, built-in amplification and the option to add a car phone for slightly less than $200. I can't imagine not going that route unless you're just scared to death of thieves.
This would be a good fit if you:
a. want to keep oem look and feel in your car, because the factory bose unit is well designed and looks great in that spot. Aftermarket can look out of place or tacky (of course, it can be done well/tastefully too).
b. want to keep your car a more analog experience. one of the things I like about my RSX is that it doesn't have silly modern stuff like TPMS, backup cams, etc etc. I like the simplicity of it and don't want it too modern.
c. want less work than doing an aftermarket install - no wiring harness changes needed
d. don't want to mess around with the bose sub that comes in the trunk, I believe aftermarket installs require tweaking to make that work.

·
WILDCARD!
1,165 Posts
This would be a good fit if you:
a. want to keep oem look and feel in your car, because the factory bose unit is well designed and looks great in that spot. Aftermarket can look out of place or tacky (of course, it can be done well/tastefully too).
Keeping an OEM look, sure. Not personally a priority for me, but sure. Curious though, is the rest of your car all OEM look? If not, why is it important to keep the radio that way?

As for it being well-designed...is it? Yeah, it works fine, sounds decent for a factory system and the aesthetics match the rest of the interior, but I will NEVER understand why Acura thought anyone would want a tape cassette player in their RSX. It's an early/mid 2000s car, not a 1990s car, and you have to assume that the intended demographic was probably young men (same as the Civic Si, which was NOT offered with a tape deck at that time). My girlfriend about 10 years back had a 2000-something Saturn Ion and it came with a factory aux port for the stereo, which is what really made me take notice of how bizarre the tape deck / no AUX choice was. And the 6 disc changer was nice for the time, but it's really dated at this point by not being able to play MP3 files.

b. want to keep your car a more analog experience. one of the things I like about my RSX is that it doesn't have silly modern stuff like TPMS, backup cams, etc etc. I like the simplicity of it and don't want it too modern.
Silly because...why? I can understand wanting to keep things simple and clean, but then again, one of the things I like about the RSX is that (and I'm really more referencing the 05-06 version here) it has a look about it that's aged pretty well. For me, replacing all the bulbs with LEDs and adding a touch screen with HD Radio, Android Auto, Bluetooth car phone, navigation, AUX/USB and a reverse camera gives it a lot of the conveniences of a modern car and makes me perfectly happy to keep driving it rather than getting something new (and having the accompanying car payment and higher insurance).

And yeah, adding an AUX port to the original radio is nice (like I said, really should have been included from the factory), but it's still a MUCH inferior solution to having a radio with a USB interface because you still have to fumble around with your phone or iPod while driving to control your music and you still need a car charger in the power port to charge, which means double the wires hanging around.

And really...you wouldn't like to just be able to tap on your stereo when a phone call comes in, have the music automatically muted for you and then just talk without having to take your hands off the wheel/shifter?

c. want less work than doing an aftermarket install - no wiring harness changes needed
What "wiring harness changes" are needed, though? The hardest part about changing the stereo in an RSX is getting the Bose unit out of the dash for the first time and you managed that. Otherwise, it's just the standard $10 adapter harness, match up the wires by color, solder/crimp/etc. and then plug and play, just like every other aftermarket stereo install since aftermarket head units became a thing.

d. don't want to mess around with the bose sub that comes in the trunk, I believe aftermarket installs require tweaking to make that work.
Nope, no "tweaking" required. Just buy the correct wire harness adapter for the car.

I mean, hey, you do you, man. If it works for you, great. I just wanted to understand the thought process of why someone would still want this in 2019 as opposed to a touch screen, which is relatively affordable at this point and offers 10 times more modernization than this mod does.

And sorry everyone, for the thread-jack.

·
WILDCARD!
1,165 Posts
Also, as far as looking out of place or "tacky" is concerned, pretty much all of these units have the ability to tweak the light color, both on the buttons and on the display. In my opinion, this doesn't look out of place at all, but again, that's my opinion.

And yes, I need to reset my SRS light. :)

Attachments

681 - 695 of 695 Posts