Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
0 to 1320...
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Avid Racing has stepped up and finally re-designed the RSX/EP3 passenger side mount!! NO MORE SAGGING AND A MORE SOLID DESIGN.

Avid makes all their mounts in Billet Aluminum with the option to go with a sleek/sleeper Black powder coated look. They have 3 durometer's... street (60a), street/race (75a) and track only (90a) Since i have the whole black/silver theme going on in my engine bay, i went with the black powder coated 75a.

First Impressions... Quality mounts, look great and priced very well. The polyurethane inserts are larger then both Hasport and Innovative, which means greater holding strength.

Here's a pic from Avid's website showing the billet mounts...

Here are a few pics i took of my black powder coated ones before install...

Newly designed passenger side mount... Bracket bolted to chassis with a normal style mount...

Install was straight forward, fitment was excellent! Hardware is included with the kit. *One minor modification needs to be with the DC5 chassis... power steering reservoir needs to be shifted over a little to fit the new style mount.

Pics from the install...

Power steering bracket modification... i took a hacksaw and cut off the lip on the right side of the bracket so i can fit it under the headlight bracket (i also painted the bracket black since it was all rusty). I then measured and drilled a hole into the frame and nut & bolted the bracket down. I also put a washer or two under the headlight bracket so when you go to tighten it, it doesn't crack since it would be uneven without it.

Its a tight fit... my PS reservoir is actually touching the mount, which isn't a problem. Make sure the reservoir isn't touching the PS pulley. I have about an 1/4" to play with.

Overall Thoughts...
Car feels solid... same durometer as the Innovative race mounts i had in the car and these feel more solid (larger bushings and stronger pass. mount). Definitely feels like there's a motor under the hood and its not moving around at all... just the way i like it!! I took the car to the track last weekend and no signs of wheel hop or troubles shifting high rpm.

For those that are making some good HP numbers and are hitting the track more often then not, i highly recommend the 75a mounts :thumbsup:

any other questions about them... hit me up.

·
GT30R > Traction
3,829 Posts
Avid sent me free mounts becouse the last kit I got from them didn't fit. The only one that I am still waiting on is the front mount......I haven't installed them yet becouse I am in Italy but once I get back to the states I will be installing them and will review then. I would like to post though that Avid did come threw and replace what didn't fit, and they came to me when I was talking on a forum not me to them!

·
0 to 1320...
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good review i love my innovative street kit do you have all 4 mounts ?
Still waiting on the front mount... i have my innovative front mount still in there for the mean time.

why is your engine so far forward?
Its an 02 RSX, thats where the motor is...

Avid sent me free mounts becouse the last kit I got from them didn't fit. The only one that I am still waiting on is the front mount......I haven't installed them yet becouse I am in Italy but once I get back to the states I will be installing them and will review then. I would like to post though that Avid did come threw and replace what didn't fit, and they came to me when I was talking on a forum not me to them!
Avid has made revisions to their mounts so fitment is really good now and they do have great customer service.

Just to let everyone know... i'm in no way knocking Innovative or other companies mounts. Innovative does make a great product its just that Avid came out with a great passenger side mount design :thumbsup:

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Just to let everyone know... i'm in no way knocking Innovative or other companies mounts. Innovative does make a great product its just that Avid came out with a great passenger side mount design :thumbsup:
I know that Avid told me that but why do you think that? I am looking at the design and it doesn't seem all that great to me and I am missing the purpose of the design other than it being a way around the stock style design.

·
7,611 Posts
everyone that buys these thinks for some reason that that passenger side mount is vastly superior to Innovative's.

But they never substantiate this belief.

·
Infinite Motorsports
5,655 Posts
Having actually seen the kit vs the Innovative, the Innovative is still superior and way more user friendly.
just wondering Chris why is the Innovative still better than the avid. I dont have neither but really need to get some.

·
7,611 Posts
I would like to know why people think that is. I know why it isn't but I want to here other peoples theory or idea.
prob because the OEM mount breaks frequently and the Innovative looks like the OEM mount therefore people assume a different looking mount is superior.....

what other reason could there be? How many people have tested both designs?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lets start off with their looks, Tapered bushings, very low vibes, Solid 1 PC construction, and their lifetime warr.:thumbsup: Innovative

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
prob because the OEM mount breaks frequently and the Innovative looks like the OEM mount therefore people assume a different looking mount is superior.....

what other reason could there be? How many people have tested both designs?
that is kind of what i am thinking as well.

You don't really need to test the designs, but that is because I know what the mounts actually do.

·
0 to 1320...
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone who has had experience with the 96-00 OEM driver side mount will understand the principle behind the reason Avid redesigned the RSX passenger side mount. The OEM RSX passenger side mount is the same design as the 96-00 Civic driver side mount (hydraulic/oil filled) with a bracket connecting the motor to the chassis. The 96-00 Civic driver side mount (as everyone knows) is notorious for popping/breaking. Anyone who has a performance engine in a 96-00 has upgraded that driver side mount to a horizontal style mount with chassis bracket. The same statement can be said now about the RSX passenger side mount. People are breaking them as HP is increasing or the insert is being pushed out the bottom due to most of the weight resting on it.

The OEM design, being a vertical style mount takes all the beating. It's design allows the engine to move not only laterally, but vertically as well. It's also the main culprit of people breaking RSX front mounts (because the pass side mount moves too much, which then causes the front mount to move in excess = breakage)

Avid design = chassis bracket and motor mount = eliminates vertical movement of the engine and the chassis bracket limits lateral movement.

Larger diameter polyurethane bushings that fill the entire mount = more polyurethane per square inch vs. competition = more urethane for vibration absorption = stronger mounts

Avid mounts are also backed by Lifetime Warranty (mounts and bushings)

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Thanks for that statement Franklin, opps, I mean Rob.

That statement might be true when it comes to four stock mounts but it isn't true with four, three, two, or even one upgraded mount. The fact is, upgrade the rear mount and you won't have any issues with the other three mounts. It is the flex in the rear mount that causes all of the issues with the other three mounts.

·
'Ello Dutchie
1,757 Posts
Still, disregarding the passenger side motor mount design, if they used the same design as innovative and stock, all it is is an alternative to the popular innovative mounts. That's it, just a different name I suppose.
Both have pros and cons, but it doesn't matter, they are both very solid mount kits and will work awesome.
I already ordered my avid racing mounts last monday, they didn't have any black ones in stock so I have to wait longer since they have to send them out to get powdercoated. Hopefully I have them on saturday since I start school this monday and my pass. side mount is broken. I'm already supporting Club RSX with my premium sooo don't bitch at me for not getting innovative :p

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.