Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

AWD convert

407K views 1K replies 213 participants last post by  EP3A2 
#1 ·
What ya'll think and an AWD conversion in the rsx?
Just curious what everyone thinks...And maybe some suggestions as to where i can find a kit to do it.

:thumbsup:??:thumbsdow??

#9 ·
if you're asking questions on how to do an awd conversion on the rsx, that pretty much tells us you don't have the slightest possible chance on doing it. not all awd systems work the same and even the simplest types are still quite complex in actually performing the conversion on a car that is not AWD.

however, i will say that the rsx is fortunate enough to be related to the honda cr-v and elements that swapping in one of their manual 4wd tranny and in doing so, sending power to the rear wheels is possible. it just isn't going to be easy since you'll need to modify the subframe to this rather particular transmission.

if you want to even attempt some type of awd conversion, the haldex setup would probably be the closest in working on the rsx. you could probably source a haldex rear pumpkin unit from a volkswagen r32 golf or audi tt coupe, but there's tuning bullshit to deal with the electronics.

or, you could almost straight in swap honda's real-time 4 wheel drive sourcing the parts from the cr-v or element, but this is not a true all wheel drive.

#12 ·
how mch cash do you have to be able to do this? becaue there isnt a "kit" to do it. you accually have to know what yout going to do before you attempt to do it. you have to get the parts, and plan out what you going to be doing with them for this to work. but if your really committed i guess you can do it.

#22 ·
My car has a lot of sentimental value, I'm sure you feel that way about something, so I will have it until it is absolutely dead and plan on keeping up with it. Thats the one thing that is missing in this car and IF, IF I had a lot of expendable cash i would do it in a heart beat. I have some pretty smart and seasoned veteran mechanics that could probably figure it out. IF I had the money.

#23 ·
well im not much for evo and sti. i know there are alot of rear wheel drive converts out there...i kind of figure if that can be done...then why not the awd...i dont plan on buying another car to tune so at 5g or even 10g it would sound reasonable...also doing something like buying the tranny and drivetrain to the sti or evo and retro fitting it to the k20and using evo x tuning for the drivetrain would most likly be the easiest route...i was asking what people thought...and a few ideas on how to go about it

#24 ·
btw, an sh-awd conversion could theoretically work on the dc5 since honda designed the rdx tranny with a power take off, transfer unit that is like the ones found the cr-v and element. you will still have to mess around with electronics and other stuff, but have fun dragging around the 400 lb. rear pumpkin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZvwdmlTOL0

acura rdx power take off, transfer unit

honda element power take off, transfer unit

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.