Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is their any functional difference between AWD and 4WD, or is AWD just a marketing attempt to distance performance cars from 4WD trucks?

I was wondering because in most 4WD trucks you have the option of FWD or 4WD, what's stopping subaru or any company for that matter from coming out with an AWD/RWD vehicle. I've heard the porsche 911 turbo distributes power 40%/60% between the front and rear, what stops a setup like that from being more common? I'd imagine its got something to do with price :rolleyes: lol.

Eric

·
Registered
682 Posts
From what I understand AWD and 4WD differ in the following way:

AWD: The power is put to all four wheels, but if one or more of the wheels slip the power is redistributed to the wheels that are not slipping.

4WD: All wheels get the same amount of power all the time. If some wheels slip, the other wheels do not get any more power (no redistribution).

·
28,750 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the differences, but I also know that 4WD can have an option of high or low gearing whereas AWD can't.

But, there are differences between the two, however, some people use the terms "AWD" and "4WD" interchangably.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The high and low deal with the gear range you want to be in. Say you want to tow something, then 4WD Low would be what you want. If you were going to drive around at normal speeds (~30+) then you would want 4WD high. With AWD it doesn't matter, just stay low if you want low, go fast if you want high.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I'm not that big an expert on the the 4wd vs AWD thing, however I am a big fan of the 911 turbo. the car usually stays around 95% rear and 5% front unless things get dicey, in which case the power can go down to 60% rear and 40% front :thumbsup:

·
Yes, thats my email.
3,212 Posts
Power train loss is a bitch on those setups. The car needs to have a good deal of horsepower in order to be effective with an AWD tranny.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pints99 said:
I'm not that big an expert on the the 4wd vs AWD thing, however I am a big fan of the 911 turbo. the car usually stays around 95% rear and 5% front unless things get dicey, in which case the power can go down to 60% rear and 40% front :thumbsup:
Oh, i had no idea it was continuosly variable, I thought it was a set distribution. That's a pretty pimp setup.

That's something to look into for an AWD rsx!

Eric

·
28,750 Posts
ATTESSA is a pretty nice AWD system, its one of the main things that made the Skyline a good car and even thought its old (since the R32 at least) its cool. ANd its gonna be used in the R35 Skyline too:)

·
Registered
754 Posts
I believe that 4WD is partial AWD, in normal driving conditions its just 2WD. AWD is permanently on no matter the condition.

·
Registered
682 Posts
AWD is on all full time in some cars and selectable in others, and 4WD is not partial AWD -- its almost the other way around. It has to do with power distribution:

4WD = same power to each wheel all the time.

AWD = power shifts to the wheels that have traction.

·
Long Member
5,429 Posts
Here's something else to add in....the STi has a controllable centre differential...so you can choose how much power goes to the front and back (I think it goes from 50/50 to 80/20 rear)

on anothe note, DSM AWDs were really front drivers that put some power to the back when shit hit the fan.

·
28,750 Posts
PurelySwift said:
Just to note, that same system got put on the new G35 AWD. :D
Yup. The R35 is the platform for the G35, G35x and G35 coupe, and that R35 platform is the same platform that'll be used for the 480 hp Infiniti Skyline. Thats a main reason (from what i've heard and it makes sense) that ATTESSA was brought to the G's.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Not trying to sound like a smart-ass... but it's actually "ATTESA" with one "S". :D

Yea, the ATTESA E-TS on the G35 sounds pretty neat huh? I only wish they made a MT version on the G35c (translation -> R35 GT-R!!!). ;)

On a side note, R33 and R34 uses ATTESA ET-S Pro, a slightly more aggressive configuration.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
HudsonHawk said:
Here's something else to add in....the STi has a controllable centre differential...so you can choose how much power goes to the front and back (I think it goes from 50/50 to 80/20 rear)

on anothe note, DSM AWDs were really front drivers that put some power to the back when shit hit the fan.
Good to know, theres a kid on my floor that thinks he's hot shit cause he has the AWD GSX eclipse. thanks for the info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
pints99 said:
Good to know, theres a kid on my floor that thinks he's hot shit cause he has the AWD GSX eclipse. thanks for the info :thumbsup:
Well gsx's are pretty sweet, and can go fast for a very small amount of money.

·
28,750 Posts
[DC530] said:
Not trying to sound like a smart-ass... but it's actually "ATTESA" with one "S". :D

Yea, the ATTESA E-TS on the G35 sounds pretty neat huh? I only wish they made a MT version on the G35c (translation -> R35 GT-R!!!). ;)

On a side note, R33 and R34 uses ATTESA ET-S Pro, a slightly more aggressive configuration.
Cool never knew that about ET-S Pro, makes sense. And yeah, I could use an AWD in the weather i'm dealing with now. So much salt on my car that I can't open the door w/o gettin salt over my gloves, and my grill and wheels are now white:D

ATTESSA ATTESSA ATTESSA ATTESSA :finger::D

·
Registered
728 Posts
The WRX has a AWD system, it is a 50/50 split between front and rear. The rear uses a viscous lsd as does the center, but the front is an open diff. Not too sure but I think you could argue that it ultimately has a RWD bias with the open front diff. I have to look into it further...

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
AWD - RWD car till traction is lost then the front wheels recieve power
4WD - usually come on RWD that are selectable....full time four wheel drive

1 - 20 of 58 Posts