Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Idontwantnopigeons
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Tein Basic on my ride and I can't figure out why the back-end tends to bounce so much, Is it because I wind up the height too much putting preload on the springs??
The front end is fine, I got it at Tein Spec but I decided to raise the back more than what Tein recommended.
It doesn't feel planted on the road

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
1st off, forget what you think you know of "preload", as it isn't what you think it is.

Bouncy ride comes mainly from two things. the most common cause is weak or maladjusted dampers. the 2nd is an overly stiff spring rate, causing the tires them selves to become the primary impact absorbers. and since there are no dampers with in the tire, they act as dampened springs and thus "bounce".

How low is the car riding?

·
Idontwantnopigeons
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1.1 inches in the back and maybe 1.3 in the front i suppose

So even though I raise the back up and putting more pressure on the spring, it'll still act as if it's slam? would the the shocks take more damping if I lower it? therefore not as bouncy??

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
pre-compressing the spring has no effect on its apparent stiffness. the only real thing you are adjusting is the position of the piston within the damper. so by raising the perch or lowering it, you are adjusting how much clearance the damper has between it and the bottom and top of the damper housing. Lower the car too much and you risk bottoming out the damper on a good bump (compression). Raise the perch too high and you risk topping out the damper when the suspension extends. Either of these happening can easily destroy the damper its self.

Regardless, are you sure its bouncy or just stiff? As in, when you hit a bump in the road does the car oscillate once? or does it continue to bounce a few times after you've hit the bump?

·
Idontwantnopigeons
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If i go slow and hit a bump, it's stiff. But if I cruise on the highway and hit a medium size bump, i feel like the back bounces at least twice up/down/up/down. It doesn't feel in control. I guess the only way to tell for sure is have someone drive it and I follow behind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts