Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys.
Back again with another fun issue for the electronic geeks on here.
So in recent weeks i've started to notice that my headlights have started to dim when I have the sound system under full load. I have a 2000w (1000rms) 5channel amp for all 6 speakers and a sub in the trunk. Usually it does fine, but it will have its moments where the lights (to include interior lights sometimes) have begun to dim.
I installed the sound system myself, and also completed the Big 3 upgrade, or big 4 if you will. I'm sure that there is more than enough wiring to supply power for everything as I used a 0ga wire for everything.
This week while out for lunch from work, the car "hiccuped" at idle. It sounded like the engine wanted to die, the music completely stopped(was at low volume), and the A/C sounded like it went off completely. It did that to me twice on that day only, I've tried to reproduce it by creating heavy loads for the system, but it hasn't happened again.
So today I pulled my nifty tester and tested the system. The battery has 12.54V, BUT it only has 120CCA out of the rated 750 on the battery. The starting system read 10.45V during cranking (brand new starter as the bendix was sticking on the old one). The charging system however, read 14.38V at no load, and 13.68V while loaded.To me this would seem like normal operating voltages, but the tool said it has "Excessive Ripple". I've been reading up on it and it seems as though the alternator is bad, even though it's putting out good voltages loaded and non-loaded.
Could it be that I need to replace both the battery and the alternator at this point? :face:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Clearly the battery is shot and needs to be replaced. Not sure if you are using a deep cycle battery but you should be. Excessive ripple means that some of the diodes in the alternator are going bad. I would start with the battery and see if that makes the problems go away. If you are thinking of replacing the alternator with a none OEM part, I would just keep the current alternator. Chances are the rebuilt alternator will be just as bad if not worse than your alternator with a few bad diodes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clearly the battery is shot and needs to be replaced. Not sure if you are using a deep cycle battery but you should be. Excessive ripple means that some of the diodes in the alternator are going bad. I would start with the battery and see if that makes the problems go away. If you are thinking of replacing the alternator with a none OEM part, I would just keep the current alternator. Chances are the rebuilt alternator will be just as bad if not worse than your alternator with a few bad diodes.
Replaced the battery and it definitely feels much better now. Ordered a reman Denso.....but its on backorder for a month. So I guess now I play the waiting game.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.