Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got the chance to change my wastegate spring. It was orginally a 7-9lb spring boosting at 7-11 even twelve when I hit 7500rpms and above. Well I installed a 5-7lb spring with the nut completely off. Boost starts at 5psi then builds to 7psi around 5-6k. Once I hit 7k or above the boost jumps to 10. I do need a new gasket that goes in between the exhaust manifold and turbo. I just don't understand why I'm boosting so much even with a 5lb spring and a slight boost leak. If there is a boost leak I should have less boost than what I have. The weather has been kind warm, its been in the mid to high 30's and I still have boost spike. I'm thinking that the 60-1hifi pushes to much to the wastegate, therefore the wastegate not being able to handle the high amounts of gas release.

·
_
572 Posts
Are you using a deltagate?

I have heard stories from some of my talon friends, of the delta's suffering from boost creep at high psi's.

They recommend Tial wastegates.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
protocol said:
Are you using a deltagate?

I have heard stories from some of my talon friends, of the delta's suffering from boost creep at high psi's.

They recommend Tial wastegates.

Hope this helps.
Yeah i was thinking about investing in a Tial, but I wanted to fix all the bugs in the Deltagate. If it continues to happen even after installing a new gasket, then I'll have no choice.

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
I just got off the phone with CN about "upgrading" to a Tial wastegate, and they said to call them back tomorrow at 11 (9 my time). They recommend using the Deltagate though because it's reliable for the stage 1. I talked to a technician and used your scenario BipBip. I said that I know of someone running the 60-1 turbo and he's experiencing boost creep even with the 5psi spring. I told him that it boosts to 7psi initially and then spikes up to 10psi.
I asked someone else within CN and they said it would be a $100 difference.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aft3rburn said:
I just got off the phone with CN about "upgrading" to a Tial wastegate, and they said to call them back tomorrow at 11 (9 my time). They recommend using the Deltagate though because it's reliable for the stage 1. I talked to a technician and used your scenario BipBip. I said that I know of someone running the 60-1 turbo and he's experiencing boost creep even with the 5psi spring. I told him that it boosts to 7psi initially and then spikes up to 10psi.
I asked someone else within CN and they said it would be a $100 difference.
You have to also add in weather conditions. The main reason why I'm boosting that high is because of the rapid weather changes in Chicago. At nights it gets to mid 20's w/frost. Cold weather can make a large difference with boost variation. During the day the boost stays constant at 5-8psi.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The weather has been kind warm, its been in the mid to high 30's and I still have boost spike. :eek: I guess I am spoiled. When you said warm I was thinking 70 or so. :laughing: At 30 degrees I am sure you are experiencing some stiffening of the spring. This is most likely causing the problem.

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
ok, I'll be calling CN here in a couple hours to see what they say about the tial WG. Since you all are experiencing boost spike, I think I'm gonna try the tial WG and see what happens. Here the temps go from 20's at night to 40-50's during the day, and that will really vary as the Spring comes where the temps range from 40-50's at night to 70-80 during the day.

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
ok got a call from Cleve, he said that he's looking into another source for a tial wastegate and for me to call back monday when Lee gets back.

In other news, I should be getting my turbo kit either today or monday! YAAAY!

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
I also got a boost spike question....my boost starts my hitting 10-11psi then it shoots down to 6ish and then setlles at 8 till 8100 rpms......what could this be from? could the actuator be bad?

·
Registered
462 Posts
RsxManJoe said:
I also got a boost spike question....my boost starts my hitting 10-11psi then it shoots down to 6ish and then setlles at 8 till 8100 rpms......what could this be from? could the actuator be bad?
I would lower the Gain setting. This should sove the boost spike issue for you.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
i took out my boost controller......the gain before though was on 0%

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
OK, I talked to Lee, and he gave me a wealth of information in regards to Deltagate vs. Tial, vs. TurboXS Evolution... What it came down to, was that since these are all spring based wastegate solutions, once won't have advantages above the other as far as boost creep is concerned. the Tial and TurboXS WG's are of higher build quality, but you'll still have boost creep. He said to keep an eye on your boost, and if it gets too high for your needs, turn the screw to lessen boost...and once you have it set, that's it. That should be all that you would need to do.

I think, that for those of us with big differences in temp from night to day or day to day, an "electronic" wastegate would be best...but I haven't heard of one or know how much they cost.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Figured out the problem with boost creep. In comparison with t3/t4 and 60-1hifi, the compressor maps are quite different. Seems as though the flow for the t3/t4 seems to be limited compared to the compressor maps for the 60-1.

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
Bip Bip said:
Figured out the problem with boost creep. In comparison with t3/t4 and 60-1hifi, the compressor maps are quite different. Seems as though the flow for the t3/t4 seems to be limited compared to the compressor maps for the 60-1.
Can you explain please? I'm not 100% sure how to read a compressor map, but perhaps you know of someplace that I can get this information?

I should be receiving my 60-1 here real soon, I believe it's the same as yours Bip Bip, how would you solve this problem just understanding the differences between 2 different turbos? I don't mean to throw your statement into doubt or question, I'm just having a problem understanding what we're talking about. Sorry, I admit, I don't know alot about turbos, but I know the general principle behind how stuff works with each other.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aft3rburn said:
Can you explain please? I'm not 100% sure how to read a compressor map, but perhaps you know of someplace that I can get this information?

I should be receiving my 60-1 here real soon, I believe it's the same as yours Bip Bip, how would you solve this problem just understanding the differences between 2 different turbos? I don't mean to throw your statement into doubt or question, I'm just having a problem understanding what we're talking about. Sorry, I admit, I don't know alot about turbos, but I know the general principle behind how stuff works with each other.
I really can't explain in detail but maybe this could help ya.
http://www.illusiverides.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1686

Go to www.turbonetics.com for compressor maps.

·
*BOOSTED* Lead Foot
1,518 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts