1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Keon, :wavey:

I know this is a Noob question..

But i took my car to the dealer and they said i need a new catalytic converter...i was quoted $2200!!!

What are my options?? I have been looking into headers and a highflow cat...but im still new to this car, please help a newb out...if i am in the wrong section then i am very sorry.

Do headers replace the stock cat?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the mesh inside the cat is starting to disenigrate...and its rattling everytime i give it gas...

So what are my options... DC Race headers with a high flow cat???

Im sure its much cheaper than $2200

·
Boots to Asses
6,403 Posts
correct term is race header. u have a 4 cylinder not 6 or 8. and no, a rh eliminates the cat as stated which is apart of emmisions. the secondary o2 sensor is a sensor making sure ur cat is still on the car.

to use a hi flow cat u will need a shorty header like megan...

·
i has vtak!
636 Posts
if u wanna stay legal these are ur easiest options:

1. buy a used cat off someone on crsx - im sure u can find someone thats selling a cheap cat

2. get a high flow random tech cat - theyre made to fit the rsx, but theyre ceramic core so they wont last as long as oem but they are a hell of a lot cheaper

and the last option

3. mugen headers - theyre $2000 but theyre a full 4 to 2 to 1 performance header with metal core cat. Kinda expensive but the best way to get legal power gains and the cat should last the life of the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry for using the word Headers...i own a v6 eclipse and im looking all this crap up for my friend who has an rsx...

I think we might just go with the DC Race Header...i saw somewhere on the boards saying they are $225 shipped

·
Registered
13,538 Posts
by law you are required to replace a failed cat with an O.E.M or equivalent certified OEM cat, depending on where you live a high flow cat may not pass visual inspection.

check your state laws.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had the same problem. My mechanic quoted me $1800 for the part. I ended up buying the header-cat-exhaust from a member in the clubrsx forsale section. My light is gone, my exhaust sounds better....just a good idea. The 05-06 model cat etc fit my 02 just fine.

1,493 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
acura told me that the cat is not covered by warranty...is he bsing me?
Definite Bullshit....if you're still under warranty---they MUST fix it. PERIOD.

As for the RH option....DCRH goes for around $450 - $500 for the SS---stay away from the ceramic version.

OBX RH which is what I'm running is what you were saying was $225...hell of deal if you ask me. I had it now for almost a month and no problems whatsoeva. Great performance overall, exact replica of the DCRH and VERY similar gains if not the same as the DCRH for HALF the PRICE.

Using a defouler on your secondary O2 sensory will prevent you from getting a cell with a RH....this WILL allow to pass emissions...but only, and I mean ONLY if they use a computer to check your car for error codes. If they use a sniffer on the exhaust or do a visual inspection---then you're (your friend) will be screwed. I live in TX---emission laws are very chill down here...no worries.

If your friend wants to stay safe---look into getting a shorty header w/ test pipe combo and/or a highflow cat. Only take the test pipe out to replace w/ the cat for emissions once a year. That set up will net you some power gains...by no means as much as a RH...but definitely more than the stock setup.

Good Luck.

-J

1 - 20 of 62 Posts