Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
178k on car, 03 Type S, live in FL. These plugs have 40,000 mi on them. Car has been smoking on cold startup for several years now. Doesn't smoke while driving AFAIK. Going through about 1.5 quarts on a 3000 mi OCI with 5w-30 Castrol GTX HM. Burns a bit more if I take longer trips (100mi or more). Car pulls great & gets 26-28mpg city. Mods are Injen CAI, Hondata IMG, Hondata reflash. Is it worth taking off the cams to change the valve seals? Do you think rings are going? Can you guys interpret any info from these pics? Should I consider heavier weight oil?

BTW, my mechanic says I have a reman head since it has a heat stamp on it. My question is... then why are my valve seals leaking? Wouldn't those have been replaced? He says "not necessarily". Have had car since 124k BTW

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
At 178 I wouldn't worry. Plugs aren't that bad and a compression test is better for ring health. Your oil control rings vs. the rings that cause compression. I was at 500/qt in a Saturn and you didn't see it while driving. I wouldn't even replace valve seals. You're could remove intake and header and see if the tops of the valves have buildup to decide if it's valve guide seals.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At 178 I wouldn't worry. Plugs aren't that bad and a compression test is better for ring health. Your oil control rings vs. the rings that cause compression. I was at 500/qt in a Saturn and you didn't see it while driving. I wouldn't even replace valve seals. You're could remove intake and header and see if the tops of the valves have buildup to decide if it's valve guide seals.
Thanks for the reply! Compression was pretty good across the board. What are your thoughts on moving to a 40 weight oil simply to reduce consumption?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
You could even try Mobil 1 high mileage. In FL you could run 40 and check. I'm not sold on oil marketing games so it just might not do anything, but the higher viscosity will be a tiny bit thicker. When I ran that Saturn to 414,000 miles I was filling it with mostly used oil that had at least 5k on it. I also would run straight ATF and straight 50 weight. I was getting free oil from the recycler and whatever he gave me went in. None of it changed consumption much. I suppose the used oil burned quicker, and I didn't even change the oil for the last God only know how many thousands of mile=around 50K.

With good compression, it doesn't pay to pay too much to fix this. Most VW's can never get 3k on a quart of oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.