Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RSXDriver thrice removed
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I make an appointment to get a 20% all around tint job for Friday. Get home from work and school. Turn on the news. Oh look, a news special about tint law enforcement.

Showed some guy in a mustang who has gone back to Ziebart 3 times to get a legal tint on his car after being ticketed. 50% is the legal limit here. But since cars come with a 13-15% tint from the factory he kept coming up illegal. Even showed a cop using the light meter and coming up with 47%, which he said he would issue a ticket for...sheesh. Poor guy's window only had a slight haze to it.

Ziebart made a statement that knowing local laws was the customer's responsibility. So they were just retinting for the guy from the kindness of their heart.

It must be nearly impossible to get a legal aftermarket tint here. I don't know of any shops that have a 65% tint that would come out to 50% with factory tint.

I'm thinking of backing off to 35 now....but apparently it won't make a difference anyway, even if I got 50 I could still be ticketed.

·
RSXDriver thrice removed
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
50% applies to the rear windows as well. However the light meter thing he used to measure was like a little clamp. No way he could test the hatch or rear windows. But then there's that sticky problem of an officer's judgement being enough to justify the ticket.

I've got some contacts who say the local cops don't bother with tint violations too much. But now that the evening news made a big deal of it, things might change. :smilemad:

·
RSXDriver thrice removed
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well down in Florida it works for you...

Florida
Visor.............as1
Front doors...........70%
Rear doors.........Any
Back window............Any

I've got to get my company to transfer me to one of the offices down there....

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
rsxdriver78...maybe they won't ticket me because of my az plates, but when i was in ohio i have the same tint i do now...limo on the back 3 and arizona legal on the front 2 (gotta find out what az legal is but i think its 35%

i say just do it...do you have any doctors that are you friends? if so, you can get them to write you a doctors note saying that you need the dark tint because your eyes are sensitive...i know plenty of people who have done this and they get out of the tickets

·
Evolved Post Whore
1,519 Posts
is that tint law for dayton only? i've heard different values down here. what news were u watching because the cops down here don't really care about how much u tint your windows.

·
RSXDriver thrice removed
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was just the local dayton news. The ohio law is 50% all around and a 5" tint strip on the front.

Ohio
Visor...........5"
Front doors...........50%
Rear doors..............50%
Back window.......50%
Section 4513.241
General Assembly: 120
Bill Number: Sub. S.B. 234
Effective Date: 11-11-94

Some of the tint sites warn that Ohio is known for even going after out of state cars. Probably gets that reputation from that one town on the northwest? side of columbus that's the speed trap capital. Forget the name of it now.

Anyone ever been pulled over for tint? Is it just a fix-it ticket so you're out $80 for a stripping fee?

·
Evolved Post Whore
1,519 Posts
i was told the law was 30% by the ziebart up in dayton, the guy probably didn't know what he was talking about:dontknow: r u taking about dublin being a speedtrap capital?

·
RSXDriver thrice removed
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it was a Dayton Ziebart that was a target of the whole expose...

They said it was the customer's responsibility to know. But if you actually look at the law it states that it's illegal for anyone to install tints greater than 50%. So the tint shop could be looking at a nasty fine itself.

·
RSXDriver thrice removed
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
New Rome is the speed trap I was thinking about. It's actually gotten national recognition as the worst speed trap in the U.S.

Taken from speedtrap.org

"New Rome
The entire 1/4 mile the "municipality" actually covers.

If you need a definition for a speed trap - here it is. There are a total of 60 residents in the village and there are 13 "police officers". The rule here is if you dont see the police with someone pulled over, look in your mirror - you are probably about to get pulled over. They are always there. Speed limit is 35. If you go 37 you better be looking out. Also, if you do get stopped, be prepared to be cited for anything there might be a law for - seat belt, tail lights,head lights, turn signals, lightly tinted windows, you will find out about traffic laws you didnt know existed and be fined for violating them in New Rome. They check out everything they can to extort a couple extra dollars. And then you'll have to go to their court (which consists of a movable trailer) and pay fines and court fees. And dont think you have to be speeding to be stopped. They run plates at random while you sit at the stop light and pull you over if its 12:01 AM and your registration expired at midnight"

Also....www.newromesucks.com Guy trying to put together a class action lawsuit against the place.

G

·
RSXDriver78 said:
Well down in Florida it works for you...

Florida
Visor.............as1
Front doors...........70%
Rear doors.........Any
Back window............Any

I've got to get my company to transfer me to one of the offices down there....
Hmmm... I got 18% on the rear 3 windows, and 35% on the doors - told that was the darkest legal for FL... :dontknow:

Was a cop who told me, so I am assuming he knows...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.