Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the Honda dealer to get a quick point inspection and they said that I needed new front lower ball joint boots. Looked at the boots on mine and they're pretty messed up after 172k on them. Question is, how do I even replace the boots on the ball joints? I've seen plenty of videos and tutorials on how to replace the whole ball joint but none on how to just replace the boot. Does anyone have any experience on this?

Btw in order to get a new ball joint from Honda I would have to buy a whole new control arm and so on which is like 250$ each side so that's not an option. Also went to a local Honda only mechanic who said the off brand ball joints are terrible and last only about 6 months to a year if they don't rip when putting them in. Replacing just the boots seems like the norm.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sounds like your dealership is trying to scam you, cause like you said you can just replace the ball joint itself. I'm not sure about OEM replacements, but I know Buddy Club ball joints will last you at least 100-150k if not longer. And yeah if you just replace the boot with some cheap off brand I wouldn't expect them to last long either.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yea I wonder about that. If I'm not mistaken, Honda [dealers] likely doesn't want to 'replace' the ball joint on it's own, I'm fairly certain they do some special process of getting it in the knuckle. Hense why they just want to pull the boot somehow and re-grease and put a new boot on (assuming it's possible, I think I saw that section in the honda service manual when I was doing mine).

When I was looking at it, if you wanted to buy it officially from them it wasn't the control arm you had to buy but the entire knuckle, that's what you meant?

So yea, I just replaced mine this last summer, rented a ball joint press tool from a local auto parts place, and a air compressor and air impact driver from a friend, pushed the old one out and the new one into my existing knuckles. It's a fairly tough job, and it's tricky getting the lower control arm back in afterwards.

I bought from rockauto.com and went with MOOG ("Problem Solver" ball joints,) as they've seemed to be decent replacement parts when I've bought them before (end links) but time will tell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guyS! I ordered the parts to replace the ball joints, the boots, castle nuts and pins (apparently they don't have c clamps??) anyways I was looking at my drivers side ball joint today and it appears to be welded on! So... Im loosing faith in myself to do this job

Trying to get this image from my phone on here --> IMG_8669.JPG
Probably won't work

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I was looking at it, if you wanted to buy it officially from them it wasn't the control arm you had to buy but the entire knuckle, that's what you meant?
Yes, the knuckle... Still learning all my car part terms as I go as this is the first car I've ever worked on!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Heres an update guys. I tried to do it myself and just change the boots but i didnt have the tools or experience to get even the bolts for the calipers loose so i went to a local parts store and got some TRW ball joints. Going to a local honda mechanic tomorrow to have them put in along with new axles.

I will insert the pictures of my old ball joints and the new ones!

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can you post the brand and part number? If I have to replace mine again I will either use the EM2 Honda ones or something other than what I just used which was a tad short for the cotter pin to go in
The brand was TRW, i got them at a local parts store. I don't have the boxes anymore though so i cant get the part number, sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts