Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through the DIY list and tried a search, but I can't find anything on just replacing the lower ball joint boot. The shop manual appears to assume that the knuckle is already out of the car when it gets to the boot replacement. Are there any directions on replacing just the boot with the suspension all still together?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You will have to remove the control arm from the knuckle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I seem to remember reading a post about using a jack to push up on the hub of the brake rotor to separate the suspension from the lower control arm, but I can't find that thread. Would that be the way to seperate the LCA to replace the boot?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You just have to smack the lower control arm really hard with a hammer where the ball joint goes thru it. I know it can be a pain in the ass to come loose. What I had to do once was take the whole knuckle and control arm off as one piece and while it was on the ground I hit it with a hammer and it came loose. I wouldn't even bother replacing the boot to be honest unless your car has really low miles. I would just go to autozone or a local parts store and get the prelude bb6 ball joints if your car is a 05-06. The autozone part # is FA2085 and you can smack it out with a hammer and put the new one in by tapping it in with a hammer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts