Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a desert silver base manual with cloth. god damn it. i dont like it anymore. i want a type R. so im thinking type R engine swap from japan cause it doesnt look like its coming over anytime soon. by engine i also mean tranny, axles, lsd, and ecu swap as well as type R gauges. how much should i pay for a low mileage engine (my car has only 6700 miles on it so about the same) and from where should i get one imported? how much should installation rape me for? how much should i sell my base engine for? and how the FUCK do i hide an extra gear from the folks?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fair question. Type S is mine, base 5 speed is both mine and my fiancee's. Type S gets driven more (2 years and 46,000 miles) compared to the base (1 and 1/2 year 6,700 miles). We plan to modify the base model and sell my type S because i had dropped a small bolt into my intake manifold when i was taking out my throttle body. its been acting oddly since then (rpm stutter at around 2000 rpm, occasional check engine light that goes away, has stalled on a few occasions). Initially we were going to modify my baby to Type R specs but not after my little accident. i have never done an engine swap or had one done before and we decided to modify the car in the best condition considering mileage, botched installs, etc, which meant our base 5 speed. First we thought to go turbo and see if a six speed from a type S could be swapped in, but then I figured that a total swap with a Type R would mean transmission and the much lamented missing limited slip defferential,and assuming the engine/tranny/ecu/lsd/drive axle swap would run around 6-7 thousand versus 5 thousand on a modified Type S without the limited slip or different final drive ratio. Now i understand thats more, but you gotta figure in selling off the old K20A3 engine for 2-3 grand, so its about even, and i would prefer a REAL type R engine over a frankenstein Type S/Type R hybrid or turbo with a hybrid six speed. Generally my fiancee drives more than i do as she commutes and i carpool so when i get to drive im stuck with the base model. Of course if they ever do decide to sell the real type R's over here i might just do that too. But i suppose anyway i go it will void the warranty, and its gonna be pretty obvious if i show up in what used to be a 5MT that now has an extra gear. all i wanted to know is if any of you know a shop near or around Philadelphia Pa that is COMPETENT with this car (im not talking about some Tito's Hack shop). and a closer estimation of engine/installation costs. Another quick question, do any of you have halo projectors for RSX's, and if so, do they burn out like so many other projector headlight kits? i think the JDM black headlights are ugly, but i dont mind the black dual halo projectors.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You are married and worried about "hiding an extra gear" from your parents? What the fuck?

-eric

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
i know right lol

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
You got to be kidding

You mean you left the bolt in there? For $5 at NAPA you could have bought the little magnet on a flexible stick and got it out and saved the engine.

TakimotoRacing said:
fair question. Type S is mine, base 5 speed is both mine and my fiancee's. Type S gets driven more (2 years and 46,000 miles) compared to the base (1 and 1/2 year 6,700 miles). We plan to modify the base model and sell my type S because i had dropped a small bolt into my intake manifold when i was taking out my throttle body. its been acting oddly since then (rpm stutter at around 2000 rpm, occasional check engine light that goes away, has stalled on a few occasions). Initially we were going to modify my baby to Type R specs but not after my little accident. i have never done an engine swap or had one done before and we decided to modify the car in the best condition considering mileage, botched installs, etc, which meant our base 5 speed. First we thought to go turbo and see if a six speed from a type S could be swapped in, but then I figured that a total swap with a Type R would mean transmission and the much lamented missing limited slip defferential,and assuming the engine/tranny/ecu/lsd/drive axle swap would run around 6-7 thousand versus 5 thousand on a modified Type S without the limited slip or different final drive ratio. Now i understand thats more, but you gotta figure in selling off the old K20A3 engine for 2-3 grand, so its about even, and i would prefer a REAL type R engine over a frankenstein Type S/Type R hybrid or turbo with a hybrid six speed. Generally my fiancee drives more than i do as she commutes and i carpool so when i get to drive im stuck with the base model. Of course if they ever do decide to sell the real type R's over here i might just do that too. But i suppose anyway i go it will void the warranty, and its gonna be pretty obvious if i show up in what used to be a 5MT that now has an extra gear. all i wanted to know is if any of you know a shop near or around Philadelphia Pa that is COMPETENT with this car (im not talking about some Tito's Hack shop). and a closer estimation of engine/installation costs. Another quick question, do any of you have halo projectors for RSX's, and if so, do they burn out like so many other projector headlight kits? i think the JDM black headlights are ugly, but i dont mind the black dual halo projectors.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
trade ur damn base in for a type s. from your location, i doubt ne shops that can do a quality swap for ya. especially that extensive.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
ummm....einstein

how about you sell the car with no miles and get what you can for it and mod up the car that has something wrong with an engine you're going to swap anyway and keep the motor for spare parts

or better yet if one car is a build up car you're going to need the other as a daily driver

good god....think people....think!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts