Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard both stories, not sure which to believe. I've had people tell me that you can hook a Type R engine (or even a Type S) to the auto tranny, and I've also heard that you cannot. Which is true?

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't care whether people think it's stupid or not, I'm just asking if it can be done. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You'd have to convert the car to a manual, install a clutch pedal, redo the interior where the shifter is located... It's a hassle.

If you keep the K20A3's flywheel then it would theoretically hook up to the automatic tranny. The Type R engine may be larger in size and not be able to fit in the bay with the automatic transmission in there as well. That should be the only hurdle, making sure that there's room under the hood for both the engine itself and the automatic transmission. You're going to have to find some measurements of the K20A3 and the Type R engine.

You'd also have to have your tranny reinforced to take the extra horses. The automatic transmission in the RSX can only handle 225whp. The gears would be shaved in no time, and if you busted some huge redline pull they might shatter with the higher redline of the Type R engine.

You'd also have to get some totally programmable ECU so that you could program in the new shift points and redline and such.

·
Registered
20 Posts
?????

I dont know why you would would want an auto....but i think if you want the best of the best......go crv block with a type s head and after market internals.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You'd want an auto because he already has the auto transmission, because it's probably a daily driver, and because it would cost a ton to chop your car up to get a manual tranny and all of its components in.

·
Banned
2,698 Posts
I believe you would be able to, however, you'd have to dish out some serious cash to have hondata custom make an Auto Type R ECU for you. I had thought about doing this a long time ago, but then I realised it isnt worth it. Our car isnt a reace car...neither is a type S...get a crx or similar model and drop the type r engine in there :thumbsup: ...then youll have a fast car (my next project after turbo)

·
Registered
21 Posts
hey its not a bad idea if you wanna spend some money to do it or get it done..i dont see why it wouldnt work besides the ecu part of it.... it would be nice to just mash on the gas and not have to shift... and as for a crx or an eg civic... type r motor sucks... not the fastest thing on the street... for the money you can have a built gsr and spank even the highly moded RSX-s.... hondata, full e/i/h... my lil bro civic spanked on already... i will put a link on here so you guys can see him race an r swap eg and a lude swap.....9000 redline...its fuckin fast :driving:

·
Banned
2,698 Posts
redlineRSX said:
hey its not a bad idea if you wanna spend some money to do it or get it done..i dont see why it wouldnt work besides the ecu part of it.... it would be nice to just mash on the gas and not have to shift... and as for a crx or an eg civic... type r motor sucks... not the fastest thing on the street... for the money you can have a built gsr and spank even the highly moded RSX-s.... hondata, full e/i/h... my lil bro civic spanked on already... i will put a link on here so you guys can see him race an r swap eg and a lude swap.....9000 redline...its fuckin fast :driving:
true, I havent really looked into this yet as it will be a while before i attempt this project...believe me...I'll be doing a lot of research when I'm able to afford this project...ill keep that in mind though :thumbsup: I was just thinking DC5-R engine since it is rare to see right now...but then again, by that time, I'm sure quite a few people would have done it...

·
Registered
21 Posts
these races are in anchorage alaska.... the temp. out side was under 15 degree's f...... the white hb (my lil bro's) has a built gs-r motor and the car the camera is in has ecu, cams in a type-r motor

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=658441

this is when we had a turbo t3/t04 set up from f-max
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid43/pe43c237f48075c555828ad9be195f8ba/fce6c774.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTkyMjY1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMTkyMjY3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE=

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah there are alot of R swaps available for 5500$ us from jdmhondaparts.com
im looking for an S or R long block because i dont like the way the 6 speed is.. the gears are to close together and they are prone to mistakes shifting wise..... i dont want to buy a motor to make it go boom :thumbsdow

it would be nice to have a high hp motor with auto...
auto means consistancy at the track... times will be almost the same as long as you got consistant reaction times

1 - 16 of 16 Posts