Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Type-S exhaust for my base model rsx (only bc i found someone to sell me it cheaper than I could find a base model exhaust), but i obviously need an adapter because the exhaust is too short. I would like to know the exact dimensions of the the exhaust. I’ve heard 2.25’ by 3in. (length), but i need confirmation of what the exhaust dimensions are. If anyone knows what i’d need to tell a shop to make, or if anyone is selling and adapter, please let me know

·
WILDCARD!
2006 RSX Type-S
1,807 Posts
I came here to say exactly what mfarmakas17 said, so...yeah, do what he said.

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an even better idea…
Just take your car to the shop with the exhaust. If you’re going to have them fabricate something, it would be best if they could mock it up on your car.
see, but the problem with that is, my car isn’t registered, or even in my name, so driving it on the main roads is highly illegal. because i have an exhaust leak, i can’t pass emissions, meaning i can’t get it registered or put into my name. so i was trying to figure out the dimensions so i could get it fabricated. but do you think taking off the catalytic converter, and taking my b pipe to a shop, and having them weld on a 3” inch pipe would work?

·
WILDCARD!
2006 RSX Type-S
1,807 Posts
see, but the problem with that is, my car isn’t registered, or even in my name, so driving it on the main roads is highly illegal. because i have an exhaust leak, i can’t pass emissions, meaning i can’t get it registered or put into my name. so i was trying to figure out the dimensions so i could get it fabricated. but do you think taking off the catalytic converter, and taking my b pipe to a shop, and having them weld on a 3” inch pipe would work?
Well what's on the car now? You said it has a leak, but I assume a factory spec system? Can't you just get your dimensions off of that?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
yeah, that^
I wouldn't have them just weld the extension on there. If it fits, great. If it doesn't fit... you have to pay more to have additional work done. Taking your current exhaust and the type s exhaust to the shop would be the best way to go about this.

It probably would have been a good idea to just buy a Base specific exhaust in the beginning. I know that you were looking to save money, but now you're faced with a headache of a situation and are still going to pay more for labor. A brand new Yonaka catback is about $400, and it actually sounds nice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where you living at? If the car is roadworthy other than the exhaust leak, why not look into getting a temp tag from your local DMV if they offer one?

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well what's on the car now? You said it has a leak, but I assume a factory spec system? Can't you just get your dimensions off of that?
i could, but i’d rather not have to take off my cat and my new b-pipe and leave the car sitting without a cat bc of my hoa. but i’m sure i could

·
WILDCARD!
2006 RSX Type-S
1,807 Posts
i could, but i’d rather not have to take off my cat and my new b-pipe and leave the car sitting without a cat bc of my hoa. but i’m sure i could
I was thinking just get under your car and note the dimensions. You wouldn't need to take it off for that, would you?

·
Registered
2002 Acura RSX Base
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a Type-S exhaust for my base model rsx (only bc i found someone to sell me it cheaper than I could find a base model exhaust), but i obviously need an adapter because the exhaust is too short. I would like to know the exact dimensions of the the exhaust. I’ve heard 2.25’ by 3in. (length), but i need confirmation of what the exhaust dimensions are. If anyone knows what i’d need to tell a shop to make, or if anyone is selling and adapter, please let me know
As an update to this thread, I got the exhaust taken off, turned out the exhaust was welded from the catalytic converter to the muffler, but I did get the entire system taken off. I will be taking the cat to a muffler shop and asking to add 3 inches and have them add the flange that way I can connect my new exhaust. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts