Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the hondata IMG for base worth the money ( although its only $60) and effort?
Bases already has a plastic IM. How much dyno-proven gains will the base benefit from it?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it fits all k series. But Engines with metal IM (RSX-s , Si) benefit most from it coz it reduces IM air temp by reducing heat transfer from engine to IM.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
i put it in mine. It was a bitch to get the plastic manifold out and back in. My engine runs cooler with it now, im not sure if gas mileage has benifited or not, have had a full tank yet. I can feel gains low and mid.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The IM was designed was designed as metal so that it acted as a heatsink to keep the engine cooler. I really personally don't want to mess with it.

There aren't that many dynoes of just intake manifold replacements, though. I really don't think they do a whole lot, maybe a horsepower or two, or a slightly stronger low end.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
James S said:
The IM was designed was designed as metal so that it acted as a heatsink to keep the engine cooler. I really personally don't want to mess with it.

There aren't that many dynoes of just intake manifold replacements, though. I really don't think they do a whole lot, maybe a horsepower or two, or a slightly stronger low end.
from what you said, then this item doens't sound worth it

but it's another thing that can be modded...so why not...:laughing:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Well by thermally disconnecting the manifold from the engine the intake manifold and throttle body stay cooler, which means that the air that it is sucking in will not heat up which means you'll get more air into the engine which means the engine will give itself more fuel, which means you'll gain power.

So yes it does in theory work, and it's only $60 (a tough install, though, I hear). If you want to do it then be my guest. It works, but I personally don't think it's worth the trouble.

·
boosted
911 Posts
How do you install hondata and where the hell do you get it from...i hear so much about it but i dont know where i can get it

·
Registered
529 Posts
RiordensRSX said:
How do you install hondata and where the hell do you get it from...i hear so much about it but i dont know where i can get it
What Hondata part are you talking about? The Hondata reflash ($595) or the IM gasket? ($60) :) ClubRSX sells them both, but they're hard to get ahold of when trying to phone order.

·
boosted
911 Posts
not really sure what the difference is...is the reflash the mod where you have to send in something and they mess with it so you have a higher redline or something? Im dumb when it comes to this hondata stuff...i just know they tweek something to get the most power out of your car.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The Hondata reflash is when you send in your ECU and immobilizer and they reflash your ECU with their program instead of the stock Acura program. They send it back to you the next day.

The IM gasket is what this thread is talking about it. :)

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
The IMG keeps the IM Cooler by blocking heat from tranfering to the IM. Reason is that you will have cooler air entering engine.

The bad side is... Your engine will not become colder because of this. But it will be hotter. Yes, the heat is still created, it will need to escape in order for it to cool down. No where to escape = more heat. And trapped heat are dangerous due to convection of heat, it will built up. Same thing as wrapping your headers with thermal wraps, the outside temp is less, but the header gets to be extremely hot to molten.

Why do ppl with IMG do not suffer engine failure? No engine damage because u have a radiator. Simple.:dontknow:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts