Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did the install today to swap out my shorty HP header with the Jackson Racing Race Header and test pipe. Install was pretty much straight forward because I've done header install before. Took about 1.5 hour. I'm running the race header with Magnaflow catback 4" tip. The magnaflow exhaust without the race header is a pretty quiet exhaust. Now the car is so damn loud. I shift at 2.5K rpm now. There was alot of moisture in the header and piping because it's raining so when I started the car for the first time there was so much smoke and I got so scared. But it went away after I let it warm up. Idle is still at 750-800 rpm. There is an air flowing sound at idle which I thought was a leak but after searching around the forum it's normal. Driving impression is loud. Mid to top end is way better. The CEL went on. I took out the negative battery cable to reset the ECU and the CEL is off for now. I don't have a gasket where the header and the test pipe connects and also where the test pipe and b pipe connect...have to get those soon. I have a real 3rd gear now...top end is better

Corso was the first base to install jrrh on the A3 but he has moved on to the A2. punkdrum4ever1 also had jrrh but I think he sold it. I'm I the only one left? I think a guy with an automatic has a jrrh also.

here are some pics

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know man i'm so paranoid...i didn't even take it to redline, i shifted normally at 5k rpm and there was still a chirp on my 18" wheels

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Aight, i was lookin into getting a type-s header, cat, exhaust and gettin a starting point. So then i have a better selection on exhausts and will b able to just bolt on and go.

·
Low Key
3,136 Posts
Dang I was seriously thinking bout JRRH and i have magnaflow catback 4'' and I didnt kno how loud it would be. But u say its pretty damn loud, so i dunno what i wanna do!!

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EVega said:
Aight, i was lookin into getting a type-s header, cat, exhaust and gettin a starting point. So then i have a better selection on exhausts and will b able to just bolt on and go.
I hope you mean type s header, cat, and exhaust as in aftermarket and not stock type s parts. I don't think stock type s parts would do much for us.

RSXtreme703

The loudness itself is not so much the exhaust or muffler but rather the header and midpipe. I can't understand it you would have to hear it for yourslef. I already bought an N1 muffler because the magnaflow muffler is too restrictive. But the N1 on magnaflow piping would sound so freaking loud...i'm paranoid if i will go through with it. It's raining so much I haven't had a chance to push the car real hard. I'm getting use to the sound. It's not that loud if you don't haul ass at every light.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
No im not talkin about doin that and that being all i do. I jus wanna get it setup so when i buy the aftermarket parts i can jus bolt them right up. If i buy a type-s exhaust now i dunno how long i could wait without throwing it on. Would take alil while for me to save up for the JRRH. I heard that the type-s exhaust on the base just needs an extension but every1 has a diff opinion on it so i kinda gave up on looking. If i can just do that it would prob b the better way to go.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I would just save up for the JR race header if you already are getting a type s exhaust. I plan on doing that sometime but like you I have to save up my money

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went back to my mom's house to store the old cat and exhaust in her garage. She came home and pulled up to the driveway at the same time I got there. I asked if she can drive my car around the block so I can hear it from outside. It's pretty loud from the outside but tolerable I guess. 54 year old asian woman driving my car around the block :bow:

She said it's faster than before but the noise is annoying :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I just got my comptech race header look at my thread for pics! except i havn't installed it yet!

D

·
EBP 5
2,276 Posts
i VieTEC said:
I went back to my mom's house to store the old cat and exhaust in her garage. She came home and pulled up to the driveway at the same time I got there. I asked if she can drive my car around the block so I can hear it from outside. It's pretty loud from the outside but tolerable I guess. 54 year old asian woman driving my car around the block :bow:

She said it's faster than before but the noise is annoying :thumbsup:
Moms that can drive stick :bow: :thumbsup: haha, my mom can't, probably good thing cuz she won't drive my car.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:bow: my mom test drove my car for me at the dealer and drove it home and taught me to drive it...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
i VieTEC i have a ?, so u had ur magnaflow type-s on b4 u got nething right? This may b off topic but say i get a power getter exhaust and wanna throw it on and down the road finish it off with the JRRH. All i wanna know is does adding the 6inch's of piping between the cat and the type-s exhaust solve the problem. I just want to get this straight b4 i think about even getting the exhaust.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't quite understand your question.

Yes I have magnaflow before the race header but it was with base b pipe.

After I installed the header I used the type s b pipe that came witht he magnaflow also.

So I just started using the type s piping after I installed the header. Base midpipe will not bolt up to race header because all race header right now are made for type s and type s exhaust.

An aftermarket exhaust system for the type s would not bolt on to the stock base header and cat properly.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
basicly all im askin is what do i need to do to make a aftermarket type-s exhaust work with the base exhaust system setup. Im looking into getting an exhaust soon and i wanna throw it on while i save up for the header.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts