Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm looking to buy an RSX since I just crashed my car :( and I was wondering if it's worth spending the extra money on a Type-S. I know that the base numbers are drastically different with the Type-S having 40 more hp than the base model however, where I live the Type-S is getting more rare and the cheapest one that I can find is $8,500. I'm seeing base models go for around $4k with the same mileage. I was wondering if the two cars are that different to warrant paying over double the price for a Type-S. I was planning on turbo charging the car and potentially swapping to a K24 block as well. I come from the BMW world where everything is way too expensive and there were lots of differences between sub models of the same chassis. I've always been a Honda guy at heart but wanted RWD for my first car. Since I've gotten that out of my system I wanted to go with a Honda but don't know which chassis to start with. I know that since this is an RSX dedicated forum, people will most likely tell me to get one, but my overall budget as of now is around $10K. I want as little to be for the initial cost of car as possible and as much into engine mods and so on. So I wanted to know how much of a difference in the long term the Type-S would make. Would I save money on parts? Can the Type-S head actually make more power with a K24 block and a turbo? Can the 6-speed take more power than the 5-speed or vice-versa?

I know that I asked a lot of questions and this is sort of a word dump but I just wanted to get to know more about the chassis and if this is the right car for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Acura Rsx Type S
5 Posts
Hey, I'm looking to buy an RSX since I just crashed my car :( and I was wondering if it's worth spending the extra money on a Type-S. I know that the base numbers are drastically different with the Type-S having 40 more hp than the base model however, where I live the Type-S is getting more rare and the cheapest one that I can find is $8,500. I'm seeing base models go for around $4k with the same mileage. I was wondering if the two cars are that different to warrant paying over double the price for a Type-S. I was planning on turbo charging the car and potentially swapping to a K24 block as well. I come from the BMW world where everything is way too expensive and there were lots of differences between sub models of the same chassis. I've always been a Honda guy at heart but wanted RWD for my first car. Since I've gotten that out of my system I wanted to go with a Honda but don't know which chassis to start with. I know that since this is an RSX dedicated forum, people will most likely tell me to get one, but my overall budget as of now is around $10K. I want as little to be for the initial cost of car as possible and as much into engine mods and so on. So I wanted to know how much of a difference in the long term the Type-S would make. Would I save money on parts? Can the Type-S head actually make more power with a K24 block and a turbo? Can the 6-speed take more power than the 5-speed or vice-versa?

I know that I asked a lot of questions and this is sort of a word dump but I just wanted to get to know more about the chassis and if this is the right car for me. Thanks!
If you plan on k24 swapping for sure then yes I would just get a base. Also, I have a k20z1 and I plan on doing the k24 swap. Honestly doing the head swap is not a big deal unless you plan on breaking records. The simplest and easiest thing to do would be to buy a base and swap a k24 in it. That is just my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you plan on k24 swapping for sure then yes I would just get a base. Also, I have a k20z1 and I plan on doing the k24 swap. Honestly doing the head swap is not a big deal unless you plan on breaking records. The simplest and easiest thing to do would be to buy a base and swap a k24 in it. That is just my opinion.
Doesn't the Type-S have the freer flowing head? How much of a difference does the K20A2 head make compared to the A3 head?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Brakes are smaller on the base and if you go with auto base as your platform; I believe the transmission mount on the chassis side is different. Someone can confirm or deny the latter. :unsure:

·
Registered
2006 Vivid Blue Pearl RSX Type-S/1995 Delsol VTEC
11 Posts
What is it your unsure about as far as the chassis/RSX? Whatever shortcomings you personally see in the car is something you can always change later.

It sounds like you have alot of plans you want to do to your next car. You might be better off with a rolling shell and build your own motor.

I know this is a RSX forum but have you considered building a K swapped Miata? It's still RWD, K powered and a small lightweight chassis will respond very well to good mods.

·
{~UDP~}
267 Posts
I agree with the majority here if you're going to mod the crap out of it just go with the base. Also instead of spending all that time and money building a K24 just put a turbo kit on the base K20. Its still a K series so they are pretty good stock for adding forced induction, and if you find a base with the 5speed, the longer gear ratio will actually be better for spooling a turbo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts